Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New WJU MBB HC

https://wjucardinals.com/news/2019/7...all-coach.aspx

19-20 roster shows 15 players and no assistant.

Re: New WJU MBB HC

Well...At least he has a bunch of experience recruiting Ohio! Long time assistant HC at the D1 level getting a chance to be the head man for a troubled DII program. WU has 24.2 points in scoring coming back...Four players with starting "experience" and one player on the roster with at least some resume. Looks like their starting 5 will be:

G Jay Gentry, 6'1", Started 23 games last year and averaged 7.3 PPG
    G Emanuel Ansong, 6'4", Started 3 games last year and averaged 7.5 PPG
    C Jeremiah April, 7'0", Started 6 games last year and averaged 3.3 PPG
    G Jeremiah Books, 6'2", Started 1 game last year and averaged 1.5 PPG

Best of the rest "bench" player are:

G Zach Collins, 6'2", Averaged 2.6 PPG
    F Tristan Ballard, 6'5", Averaged 1.2 PPG

Of the other players on the roster, the only one that at least shows a quality HS resume is:

G Leo Herrick, 6'3", who was an All-Stater at Magnolia HS WV

Super late in the recruiting year but he needs to bring in at least a few capable bodies, be they unsigned HS players or transfers. Peckenpaugh was able to put together an OK lineup in about the same situation last year.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Well...At least he has a bunch of experience recruiting Ohio! Long time assistant HC at the D1 level getting a chance to be the head man for a troubled DII program. WU has 24.2 points in scoring coming back...Four players with starting "experience" and one player on the roster with at least some resume. Looks like their starting 5 will be:

G Jay Gentry, 6'1", Started 23 games last year and averaged 7.3 PPG
      G Emanuel Ansong, 6'4", Started 3 games last year and averaged 7.5 PPG
      C Jeremiah April, 7'0", Started 6 games last year and averaged 3.3 PPG
      G Jeremiah Books, 6'2", Started 1 game last year and averaged 1.5 PPG

Best of the rest "bench" player are:

G Zach Collins, 6'2", Averaged 2.6 PPG
      F Tristan Ballard, 6'5", Averaged 1.2 PPG

Of the other players on the roster, the only one that at least shows a quality HS resume is:

G Leo Herrick, 6'3", who was an All-Stater at Magnolia HS WV

Super late in the recruiting year but he needs to bring in at least a few capable bodies, be they unsigned HS players or transfers. Peckenpaugh was able to put together an OK lineup in about the same situation last year.

If they want to go the transfer route there's still a lot of guys out there. Granted, on July 2 the available transfers usually come with some skeletons in their closets.

I could actually see this being a near yearly occurrence down there.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        If they want to go the transfer route there's still a lot of guys out there. Granted, on July 2 the available transfers usually come with some skeletons in their closets.

I could actually see this being a near yearly occurrence down there.
        Short of the school closing, why would it be a "yearly occurrence?" I would doubt the new HC is on a one year contract and I would also assume that the scholly levels have been adjusted so the players that come in know what they are, or aren't, going to get moving forward...same with college majors. From a facilities standpoint, WU's are very good and infact, the court was just resurfaced so is brand new.

I would think that baring complete closure of the school, this guy will be around for a little while (at least 4 years)...long time D1 assistant who obviously wanted to try his hand at being a HC (but wasn't at the top of anyones short list of hot candidates)...close to "home" (Athens OH)...In a place were zero is expected (WU administration and alums have more pressing concerns that out weigh weather the new basketball HC wins 20 games).

Comment

Short of the school closing, why would it be a "yearly occurrence?" I would doubt the new HC is on a one year contract and I would also assume that the scholly levels have been adjusted so the players that come in know what they are, or aren't, going to get moving forward...same with college majors. From a facilities standpoint, WU's are very good and infact, the court was just resurfaced so is brand new.

I would think that baring complete closure of the school, this guy will be around for a little while (at least 4 years)...long time D1 assistant who obviously wanted to try his hand at being a HC (but wasn't at the top of anyones short list of hot candidates)...close to "home" (Athens OH)...In a place were zero is expected (WU administration and alums have more pressing concerns that out weigh weather the new basketball HC wins 20 games).
          The job's a dog. You have to have resources to win. Recruiting kids to a school all over the news isn't easy. I also have to assume it doesn't pay much.

Comment

The job's a dog. You have to have resources to win. Recruiting kids to a school all over the news isn't easy. I also have to assume it doesn't pay much.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              Total speculation on my part:
              Challenge to get serious academic students in these circumstances. If he can do as well as peckinpaugh I would suspect he will bail to another school as a survival strategy.

Also the head of board of directors for wu has been removed as part of corruption and abuse report on bishop bromfeld. I wonder if the 25m+ bailout of wu by the diocese and lease back for 2500 a month could be overturned as a result of this investigation as key players in deal have been implicated. Clearly not the best use of parishioners money from an investment perspective.
              Could be that he was out of work. But clearly he isn't at the top of the heap for D1 assistants. Doubt one season at WU, even if he were to win 20+ would suddenly make him suddenly desirable as a D1 assistant. We'll never know but I doubt that the contract is for one year. If an employee has a multi year employment contract and the company they work for goes out of business, the employee takes his place at the end of the line when trying to get the money they are owed. At that point as WU would be broke, no one would be getting any money.

Not much chance of the diocese backing out of their buy out and even if it were possible, I would speculate that most of the 25M has been spent. Also, I believe the buyout included basically selling the land and facilities to the diocese. If they were able to back out they would pile a debt onto WU but would also have to give the land and facilities back to the school. If the school were to subsequently go under, they would have to stand in line with other creditors to get their money back when WU sold their hard assets...i.e. their land and facilities.

Now there IS a chance that the diocese could sell the land and facilities to an outside party. But I would imagine that WU has a pretty air tight contract with the diocese that would make it difficult for the new owner to either kick them out OR raise their rent.

Comment

I agree that the job is a dog right now and it will be difficult to recruit the best players. But it also comes with insanely low expectations. I would say the expectations are win between 5 and 10 games and don't lose every game by 20+. Keep the lights on until the school rights its financial ship is pretty much all they expect the coach to do...if he can figure out a way to win, that would be gravy on the 'taters.

Comment

Could be that he was out of work. But clearly he isn't at the top of the heap for D1 assistants. Doubt one season at WU, even if he were to win 20+ would suddenly make him suddenly desirable as a D1 assistant. We'll never know but I doubt that the contract is for one year. If an employee has a multi year employment contract and the company they work for goes out of business, the employee takes his place at the end of the line when trying to get the money they are owed. At that point as WU would be broke, no one would be getting any money.

Not much chance of the diocese backing out of their buy out and even if it were possible, I would speculate that most of the 25M has been spent. Also, I believe the buyout included basically selling the land and facilities to the diocese. If they were able to back out they would pile a debt onto WU but would also have to give the land and facilities back to the school. If the school were to subsequently go under, they would have to stand in line with other creditors to get their money back when WU sold their hard assets...i.e. their land and facilities.

Now there IS a chance that the diocese could sell the land and facilities to an outside party. But I would imagine that WU has a pretty air tight contract with the diocese that would make it difficult for the new owner to either kick them out OR raise their rent.
                  I was speculating on a somewhat different scenario. Diocese keeps the land and terminates the lease to wu so they can try to recover some of the investment by selling the land or at least getting market value for the lease. The justification would be the deal was part of a pattern of alleged corruption and malfeasance among the parties involved. Given the other known misappropriation of funds, this scenario might be cause for concern. Imho that is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.

I agree that their payment is long gone as it was used to pay down wu debt.

Comment

I was speculating on a somewhat different scenario. Diocese keeps the land and terminates the lease to wu so they can try to recover some of the investment by selling the land or at least getting market value for the lease. The justification would be the deal was part of a pattern of alleged corruption and malfeasance among the parties involved. Given the other known misappropriation of funds, this scenario might be cause for concern. Imho that is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.

If the diocese thinks that WU cannot survive more than a year or two, they may choose to wait until it closes. This approach avoids any hard feelings from WU and possible misplaced blame that the diocese caused WU to close. The more I think about it, this may be the outcome, depending on how aggressive the new leadership moves toward trying to recover from the misappropriation of funds to show good faith to the parishioners' donations to the church. If the parishioners are angry and are withholding tithes, then they may have to move more quickly.

Comment

Think they would have a hard time parcing out the deal. basically their tactic could be "These parts of the deal (the $25M and the rent amount) were based on corruption and malfeasance and we want our money back and the right to raise the rent...But the other part of the agreement that gave us the land and facilities was not based on corruption and/or malfeasance and we want THAT part to stand.

If that were to go through, the deal would then be WU gave their land and facilities to the Diocese for free and the Diocese has the right to jack up the rent. Don't think any court would agree to that!!

Comment

If the diocese thinks that WU cannot survive more than a year or two, they may choose to wait until it closes. This approach avoids any hard feelings from WU and possible misplaced blame that the diocese caused WU to close. The more I think about it, this may be the outcome, depending on how aggressive the new leadership moves toward trying to recover from the misappropriation of funds to show good faith to the parishioners' donations to the church. If the parishioners are angry and are withholding tithes, then they may have to move more quickly.
                        But the diocese already owns the most important part of what ever WU's liquidatable portfolio is, i.e. the land and buildings. If they claim that the deal that they signed was based on malfienace on WU's part and try to have a court declare it null and void, the court would almost always declair the entire agreement null and void. Rarely do courts cherry pick through contracts and abrogate one part and not another. So if the diocese did do this and assuming they won the court is probably going to go back to the situation on the day before the contract...WU will be on the hook to pay the diocese $25M (which it doesn't have) and the diocese would have to give the land and facilities back to WU. If WU then did go out of business, the diocese would take their place in line with the other unpaid creditors for a piece of the pie when they sold off the assets (primarily the land and facilities).

Sit fast and they own the piece of WU that is worth the most $ (the land and facilities)...reverse the agreement and they become just another organization standing in a long line for a piece of the liquidated assets.

Comment

Don't know anything about WV politics and business but would it be at all conceivable that WVU could take over and convert the campus to something like UPJ ? It seems like a plan that would be relatively inexpensive and seamless.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            Don't know anything about WV politics and business but would it be at all conceivable that WVU could take over and convert the campus to something like UPJ ? It seems like a plan that would be relatively inexpensive and seamless.

Pitt could probably do that just as easy as WV. Pitt loves branch campuses. Wheeling is private so it isn't subject to 'as much' of the red tape. The Pitt and PSU branches have become a major thorn to the PASSHE schools.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                              Imho you have proposed a plausible scenario. Wvu is now in beckley which is a threat to bluefield state and concord. WVU wheeling could threaten Bethany as well as wl.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X