Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well put Boat, this is what I've been screaming for for years now!!! WLU has got to add another defense to it's arsonal and not continue to go with the all out full court press when it's obviously not working and killing you. I went to the elite eight last year and after about 2 minutes I said there is no way Ben is going to keep letting Huggings (NWMS) Shred them....Yup, he stayed in the press and let's just say I left the arena at the 15 minute mark of the second half. Just like you said Boat WL needs another offense when that weave and three point shooting isn't working. WVSU started jumping hand offs and passes and WL did nothing to adjust. I'm a huge Ben Howlett fan but as a fan base I think we need to start seeing some growth in being diverse in game and in recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopperNation View Post
      Well put Boat, this is what I've been screaming for for years now!!! WLU has got to add another defense to it's arsonal and not continue to go with the all out full court press when it's obviously not working and killing you. I went to the elite eight last year and after about 2 minutes I said there is no way Ben is going to keep letting Huggings (NWMS) Shred them....Yup, he stayed in the press and let's just say I left the arena at the 15 minute mark of the second half. Just like you said Boat WL needs another offense when that weave and three point shooting isn't working. WVSU started jumping hand offs and passes and WL did nothing to adjust. I'm a huge Ben Howlett fan but as a fan base I think we need to start seeing some growth in being diverse in game and in recruiting.
      You guys clearly didn't watch the games vs. UPJ or Daemen then. In both of those games, Howlett called off the press before the final whistle, turning those into half-court games for the duration of the second half. And in both cases, WLU beat very good opponents while playing those opponents' preferred styles. I'm not sure why Howlett chose to keep the press on yesterday (or against NWMSU last year--but to be fair, Pitt wasn't beating NWMSU last year let alone any D2 program) or why they didn't adjust how they were guarding the receiver after WVSU made it clear they were going to throw over top. That was either an error in coaching or in execution, but I'm willing to excuse a tough game in favor of a larger body of work. It's simply not a fact to claim that WLU never removes the press or adjusts to a style. Those instances are definitely fewer and farther between, but that's because the press being ineffective is also few and far between.

(And "effective" doesn't always mean turnovers. Turnovers are certainly ideal, but "effective" for this press also means making teams work hard for 90 feet on every possession and tiring them out for the stretch run when an opponent's shooting percentage typical falls as a result.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You guys clearly didn't watch the games vs. UPJ or Daemen then. In both of those games, Howlett called off the press before the final whistle, turning those into half-court games for the duration of the second half. And in both cases, WLU beat very good opponents while playing those opponents' preferred styles. I'm not sure why Howlett chose to keep the press on yesterday (or against NWMSU last year--but to be fair, Pitt wasn't beating NWMSU last year let alone any D2 program) or why they didn't adjust how they were guarding the receiver after WVSU made it clear they were going to throw over top. That was either an error in coaching or in execution, but I'm willing to excuse a tough game in favor of a larger body of work. It's simply not a fact to claim that WLU never removes the press or adjusts to a style. Those instances are definitely fewer and farther between, but that's because the press being ineffective is also few and far between.

(And "effective" doesn't always mean turnovers. Turnovers are certainly ideal, but "effective" for this press also means making teams work hard for 90 feet on every possession and tiring them out for the stretch run when an opponent's shooting percentage typical falls as a result.)
        Excellent, valid points.

Comment

• Fitting. The last three teams are all from the PSAC West. WV State just made too many mistakes and played undisciplined for stretches. Great game that could have gone either way.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
              Fitting. The last three teams are all from the PSAC West. WV State just made too many mistakes and played undisciplined for stretches. Great game that could have gone either way.
              That was WVSU in microcosm. About 2/3 of the time they look like world beaters. About 1/3 of the time they play knucklehead basketball. You just got a glimpse of how a team that talented finds ways to lose games they shouldn't. When it's good, it's real good (cf. yesterday). But today was a glimpse of classic WVSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

That was WVSU in microcosm. About 2/3 of the time they look like world beaters. About 1/3 of the time they play knucklehead basketball. You just got a glimpse of how a team that talented finds ways to lose games they shouldn't. When it's good, it's real good (cf. yesterday). But today was a glimpse of classic WVSU.

Comment

• Comment

• It is brutal, just easier than anyone else in the bracket since they know how to beat both teams. It will also make it a bigger disappointment if they lose. Cal and hurst have less to lose, like all underdogs

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

It is brutal, just easier than anyone else in the bracket since they know how to beat both teams. It will also make it a bigger disappointment if they lose. Cal and hurst have less to lose, like all underdogs
                        I really hope it's the C'HAWKS because the VULCANS aren't truly back until they climb that mountain.

Comment

• I hate playing Mercyhurst in the regional, lol. Sheesh, that was a crazy game.

Comment

• Comment

• According to our friend Inkblot, only one number 2 survived to the regional final.

And Nova SE won by 1 at buzzer.

Comment

• Bruce's crew got Mercy back in the game and then called the Charge Heard 'Round Indiana in the biggest moment.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X