Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'm not sure. Gotta confess I'm not up on the fine print of the transfer rules. It obviously would be beneficial to Ship if he can start before classes begin the second semester as there are a lot of games in early January. Whenever he starts, it's going to take some time for him to get into game shape and adjust to playing with new teammates.
    I 'think' he's probably been allowed to practice all season (assuming he was already enrolled at Ship). If that was the case it may not take him too long to adapt. If he's enrolling for second semester, that's a different can of worms.

The last time IUP had a similar situation was when Brandon Norfleet transferred in from Cheyney. He practiced with the team the first half and was ready to roll. That was before all the free-transfer chaos and part of his release from Cheyney was sitting out a semester.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I 'think' he's probably been allowed to practice all season (assuming he was already enrolled at Ship). If that was the case it may not take him too long to adapt. If he's enrolling for second semester, that's a different can of worms.

The last time IUP had a similar situation was when Brandon Norfleet transferred in from Cheyney. He practiced with the team the first half and was ready to roll. That was before all the free-transfer chaos and part of his release from Cheyney was sitting out a semester.
      This is a transfer from D1, but I don't think that makes a big difference these days. Transfers both in and out haven't been real common at Ship under Fite. Two transfers that have helped in recent seasons have been Kiyon Hardy and Rashon Johnson, but both of those guys were available at the beginning of the season. We had Kamau Mitchell come in the beginning of this year, but haven't seen him, either in uniform or a track suit, in recent weeks, so I have to assume he's off the team. Whether the fit didn't work out or it was something like academics I have no idea. We certainly could use the transfer coming in as Trey Martin has been injured recently and with him out and Mitchell gone plus the three freshmen redshirting Ship is down to about 10 healthy players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It was interesting that Wheeling got out to a huge halftime lead and then collapsed in the second half. Obviously Cal needs to get healthy, although this should serve as a nice warmup for them next Monday when they play a Ship team that won't have played in almost two weeks.
        I think DS likely read his team the riot act at the half emphasizing that a loss to WU, nee WCU, WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE !!! There was a significant defensive up-grade in the final 20 minutes which as has been noted is not part of the VULCANS regular game plan.
        An oddity in the approaches of VULCANS MBB vs WBB. DS emphasizes offense and turns up his D only when required. JS approach is the reverse with pressure D from the get go until concerted O is required. Both approaches are successful if you have the players which currently they do. Neither team appears to be EE material but it's still early.

Comment

I don't remember what the exact criteria was, but I know they have to complete so many hours of academic time before they can start practicing (if they enroll late/transfer) and then they have to complete so many hours of practice before being eligible to compete in a game. Again, I don't know the exact #s.

I do know, at least as of last year, if you were involved with a sports team during the official start of season - you can't transfer to another school and play that sport that season. (i.e. - if a Hurst player was "on roster" at the official start date - he could transfer to Gannon, but couldn't play that season at Gannon)

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
            So how does it work that the Hurst Fredonia game counts for Hurst, but is only an exhibition for Fredonia?
            I will ask Nation for his blessing, but Fredonia should in the future be referred to as Groucho U.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I will ask Nation for his blessing, but Fredonia should in the future be referred to as Groucho U.
              I don't think Fredonia would beat the intramural champs at most of our schools.

Comment

I don't think Fredonia would beat the intramural champs at most of our schools.
                It was a reference to The Marx Brothers movie "Duck Soup", though I doubt most are old enough to get it...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

It was a reference to The Marx Brothers movie "Duck Soup", though I doubt most are old enough to get it...
                  Duck soup now considered a classic.
                  I love watching groucho on YouTube in you bet your life tv quiz show.

"I would never belong to a country club that would have me as a member." Groucho

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

"I would never belong to a country club that would have me as a member." Groucho
                    I was a caddy at an exclusive suburban Chicago country club about 1960, and unfortunately it is doubtful Marx would have been admitted as he identified as Jewish. Some clubs had largely Catholic memberships as they occasionally had trouble getting into the more WASPy clubs. Suburbs of the time often were divided by religious and ethnic group, wealth, and between old money and new money. What they all had in common is that there weren't many people of color around, except perhaps to serve as domestics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

“I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.”

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...appy%20in%20it.

Comment

• On the Men's side, the CIAA is up to its annual cannibilzation. Only one team has (3) losses or less.

They beat the hell out of each other.

Comment

On the Men's side, the CIAA is up to its annual cannibilzation. Only one team has (3) losses or less.

They beat the hell out of each other.
                          GOOD

Comment

• There's no magic number when it comes to NCAA bids, but generally when you get beyond (8) losses you are playing with fire come Selection Sunday. As we've reached the holiday break, here's a look at the Atlantic race (this is straight up wins/losses ... no SOS, metrics, etc.):

0 Losses

California (10-0)
                            Gannon (10-0)

1 Loss

East Stroudsburg (8-1)
                            Concord (7-1)

2 Losses

Charleston (7-2)

3 Losses

Winston-Salem (9-3)
                            Davis & Elkins (8-3)
                            West Liberty (8-3)
                            Millersville (7-3)
                            IUP (7-3)
                            Seton Hill (7-3)
                            Fairmont State (6-3)

I will note it's pretty rare to have so few teams with between 0-2 losses at this stage.

Comment

• This region is wide open. You'd have to think WL is going away will handle most of their league opponents. Cal will muck up 1-2 like normal. Gannon is still a question mark. Yes, they are undefeated but SOS isn't the best just yet. IUP to me has got a little better but they are still a mess. They could move either direction. Going to be a crazy year.

Comment

• Obviously this is a coversation piece at this point, but here is the Top 10 in the Atlantic (Men's) per Massey (through all games played as of this morning):

1. West Liberty (13-3)
                                2. East Stroudsburg (14-2)
                                3. Charleston (13-2)
                                4. Gannon (15-2)
                                5. California (14-2)
                                6. Fairmont State (12-4)
                                7. Millersville (13-3)
                                8. IUP (11-5)
                                9. Concord (10-3)
                                10. Winston-Salem State (12-5)

For those unfamiliar, Massey uses a metric system which includes many of the same categories the selection committee will use in March (SOS, etc.)

Obviously, there are some head-to-head issues in this list (such as Gannon being below ESU and Charleston despite defeating both).

Of note, the Top 8 make the NCAAs. The CIAA is guaranteed (1) spot.

This will be different in a couple days but it is neat to see see as a pinpoint in time. You can also see where some losses are ranked much worse than others. Calfiornia, for instance, really got digned hard for losing to an under-.500 SRU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X