X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You have a Whippen Brother.

World Tour '23-'24

Four schools in a college career is quite the feat.

​​​​​​I see he somehow grew to 6'9" on the Ship roster.

Joking aside, he is a good player. He must like learning new systems or is still searching for the right campus dining experience.
    Yeah, I think Whippen is the beneficiary of the good ol' program push. Looks more like the 6-6 range. He moves pretty well and should fit into the way Ship wants to play this season. Years ago I recommended a player from Frederick, Md., to then-Ship coach Rodger Goodling. His high school listed him as 6-8, but he turned out to be a pinch over 6-6. He did end up playing as a seventh man at Ship, and Goodling was satisfied with him. We will have a transfer coming in later that looks like a legitimate 6-8.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Imho charleston made big transfer portal moves to try to get 10 deep with quality players, which is essential to taking down wlu. Fairmont has lost manges for the season, which is a big hit.
      here are the new players.
      https://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2023...o-team103.aspx
      Ok, Ben!

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, I think Whippen is the beneficiary of the good ol' program push. Looks more like the 6-6 range. He moves pretty well and should fit into the way Ship wants to play this season. Years ago I recommended a player from Frederick, Md., to then-Ship coach Rodger Goodling. His high school listed him as 6-8, but he turned out to be a pinch over 6-6. He did end up playing as a seventh man at Ship, and Goodling was satisfied with him. We will have a transfer coming in later that looks like a legitimate 6-8.
        He is a pretty good player. He runs the floor well and plays intelligently. The heights always crack me up.

I can't tell you how many IUP players I've stood beside over the years that are listed as like 8" taller than me and and they are maybe 3" taller. I think Dante Lombardi 'peaked' at his program height around 6'1" ... he was maybe 5'10".

On the contrary, I think they actually list Ethan Porterfield below his height.

I love the guys who are 6'6" as a freshman, 6"8" as a sophomore, 6'7" as a junior and 6'9" as a senior. It must be a whacky diet.

Comment

Imho charleston made big transfer portal moves to try to get 10 deep with quality players, which is essential to taking down wlu. Fairmont has lost manges for the season, which is a big hit.
          here are the new players.
          https://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2023...o-team103.aspx
          First key to beating WLU is quality depth. I've seen many a team with a better starting 5 wilt down the stretch and fall to WLU because they didn't go at least 8 deep with quality all the way to 8.

Comment

He is a pretty good player. He runs the floor well and plays intelligently. The heights always crack me up.

I can't tell you how many IUP players I've stood beside over the years that are listed as like 8" taller than me and and they are maybe 3" taller. I think Dante Lombardi 'peaked' at his program height around 6'1" ... he was maybe 5'10".

On the contrary, I think they actually list Ethan Porterfield below his height.

I love the guys who are 6'6" as a freshman, 6"8" as a sophomore, 6'7" as a junior and 6'9" as a senior. It must be a whacky diet.
            Porterfield is a beast. If he's healthy this year, he'll be a load for most teams in the league to handle — certainly for Ship.

Although Whippen might have gotten a height boost, the heights posted for the other Ship players seem to be pretty legit. I chatted with a couple of the guards after the recent scrimmage and the guys listed as 6-1 or 6-2 seemed to be standing a legitimate 3-4 inches over my 5-10 (I've lost over an inch as my aging spine compresses.).

Comment

If anybody cares, the NABC Preseason Top 25 is out (men's)

3. West Liberty
              4. IUP
              25. Mercyhurst

Votes: Virginia Union, Fairmont State, Fayetteville State

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

First key to beating WLU is quality depth. I've seen many a team with a better starting 5 wilt down the stretch and fall to WLU because they didn't go at least 8 deep with quality all the way to 8.
                So true. St. Crutch used to say "We have not won a pre-game warmup yet."

New Haven beat us decisively in the Elite 8 pre game warmup, when they were even laughing and joking about us and making rude remarks.

Comment

New Haven beat us decisively in the Elite 8 pre game warmup, when they were even laughing and joking about us and making rude remarks.
                  Ok Ben!

Comment

Yuuuppp. Heck, IUP almost ran us out of their gym in warm-ups. Then the TV lights went on and the Wizard of Indiana was left on the side of the road trying to get the tag number of the truck that just rolled over him!

WLU has run the same style for years now so what we do and how we do it is no surprise to anyone. Nore is it a hidden secret on how to beat us. But teams either are unwilling or unable to adjust to beat us. In many ways they are just like Ben, got a style that is successful against most teams most years and are unwilling to change. Guess the hope is that maybe WLU will have an off night or you catch them in an off year. But as they say, hope is not a strategy
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 11-03-2023, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yuuuppp. Heck, IUP almost ran us out of their gym in warm-ups. Then the TV lights went on and the Wizard of Indiana was left on the side of the road trying to get the tag number of the truck that just rolled over him!

WLU has run the same style for years now so what we do and how we do it is no surprise to anyone. Nore is it a hidden secret on how to beat us. But teams either are unwilling or unable to adjust to beat us. In many ways they are just like Ben, got a style that is successful against most teams most years and are unwilling to change. Guess the hope is that maybe WLU will have an off night or you catch them in an off year. But as they say, hope is not a strategy
                      IUP definitely always has players that pass the eye test. Impressive. They had a bad shooting night, which happens to everyone.

New Haven had guards with D1 bodies and a 7-1 leading shot blocker in D2. I blame their coach for playing zone and thinking he could play only 5 guys for long stretches. Analyst said wlu was playing 5 on 4 and able to line up seams on threes like in a game of horse.

Comment

IUP definitely always has players that pass the eye test. Impressive. They had a bad shooting night, which happens to everyone.

New Haven had guards with D1 bodies and a 7-1 leading shot blocker in D2. I blame their coach for playing zone and thinking he could play only 5 guys for long stretches. Analyst said wlu was playing 5 on 4 and able to line up seams on threes like in a game of horse.
                        More than a bad night. That team couldn't hit the side of a barn the last two months.

Comment

New Haven might have done better with some sort of gadget defense like Hurst ran to great effect against us . Man up and contest the parameter and try to force everything inside toward the 7-1 shot blocker. But I guess that wasn't their style. Kind of like us...MORE COWBELL!!!! They had no ability or desire to change.

Comment

Well, Notre Dame's roster went from 9 players to now listing a whopping 35.

Comment

Well, Notre Dame's roster went from 9 players to now listing a whopping 35.
                              I had to go see it to believe it. WTF

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I had to go see it to believe it. WTF
                                Gotta get that tuition coin somehow.

Wonder who the 30th man is?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X