Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Well, Notre Dame's roster went from 9 players to now listing a whopping 35.
    If they hand you jersey #62, it might be time to hang it up.

That might mean you're a defenseman on the hockey team, I think.

Comment

Only about 30 pts return in scoring with only 1 double figure scorer. 20 freshmen. Big challenge for ndc.

Comment

Gotta get that tuition coin somehow.

Wonder who the 30th man is?
        And with a 10 scholarship limit they should be getting some tuition coin out of that crowd. As someone who was a 30th man in ninth grade, I can appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Only about 30 pts return in scoring with only 1 double figure scorer. 20 freshmen. Big challenge for ndc.
          Of the actual players who will play, it's a heavy, heavy dose of JUCO players. There's likely some talent there in the rotation. But, I'd assume that will take a while to come together. They always seem to have a way of landing some good players.

I just found it hilarious to see 35:players on a D2 roster. I think the 'dress' limit and active roster limit is 15 in D2.

They won't run out of practice players that's for sure.

Comment

Of the actual players who will play, it's a heavy, heavy dose of JUCO players. There's likely some talent there in the rotation. But, I'd assume that will take a while to come together. They always seem to have a way of landing some good players.

I just found it hilarious to see 35:players on a D2 roster. I think the 'dress' limit and active roster limit is 15 in D2.

They won't run out of practice players that's for sure.
            This is the old Wheeling U approach. Their team picture always looked like a family reunion or something like that, with so many players. They always seemed to field a varsity and JV. NDC is taking a page out of that book.

As Ship69 referenced, some of the private schools (unfortunately, in my opinion) do this for the tuition dollars. I don't like the practice--it feels exploitative. You bring in a guy as a "preferred walk-on" who will never dress and never get a scholarship, and you ask him to open his wallet for tuition. It's a practice that trades on a kid's dream. A kid goes along with the pay-to-play because he just wants a chance: a chance to prove himself, a chance to fulfill his dream of becoming a college player, a chance to maybe earn a scholarship if he stays faithful to the program for long enough, etc. And all the while, he's paying full freight (or some financial aid granting institution, at least, is paying his freight . . . a freight he will likely have to pay back for a long time).

Something just feels a little icky about that to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

This is the old Wheeling U approach. Their team picture always looked like a family reunion or something like that, with so many players. They always seemed to field a varsity and JV. NDC is taking a page out of that book.

As Ship69 referenced, some of the private schools (unfortunately, in my opinion) do this for the tuition dollars. I don't like the practice--it feels exploitative. You bring in a guy as a "preferred walk-on" who will never dress and never get a scholarship, and you ask him to open his wallet for tuition. It's a practice that trades on a kid's dream. A kid goes along with the pay-to-play because he just wants a chance: a chance to prove himself, a chance to fulfill his dream of becoming a college player, a chance to maybe earn a scholarship if he stays faithful to the program for long enough, etc. And all the while, he's paying full freight (or some financial aid granting institution, at least, is paying his freight . . . a freight he will likely have to pay back for a long time).

Something just feels a little icky about that to me.
              Wheeling is notorious for this (among other things) but there are plenty of state schools that have embraced this model. In most cases, it's more a case of the parents' vanity being exploited than the kid's dream.

Comment

ndc lost barker (12 ppg and 43% 3pt) and ugwuakazi (8 ppg, 8.3 rebounds) to univ Charleston. Ndc coach has eye for talent, but those losses plus graduation is a big hit.

Comment

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post

Wheeling is notorious for this (among other things) but there are plenty of state schools that have embraced this model. In most cases, it's more a case of the parents' vanity being exploited than the kid's dream.
                  This is going to become more and more a practice with open transfers. In our football conference, the new coach at Lock Haven brought in a Deion Sanders-style horde of transfers and newbies and has a competitive team after about 40 years of losing at that school. They have players from states where most people probably have never heard of Lock Haven, Pa. Coaches will be looking for a way to instant success. It can either help a lot or go south quickly, but in any case it's with us now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

This is going to become more and more a practice with open transfers. In our football conference, the new coach at Lock Haven brought in a Deion Sanders-style horde of transfers and newbies and has a competitive team after about 40 years of losing at that school. They have players from states where most people probably have never heard of Lock Haven, Pa. Coaches will be looking for a way to instant success. It can either help a lot or go south quickly, but in any case it's with us now.
                    Those are two slightly different issues. Bringing in transfers to turn around a program quickly is definitely with us (and sorta has been for a while, if you look at Slippery Rock's history). I think we've all come to accept that our teams/leagues will basically feel like Minor League Baseball at this point: learn a whole new roster every year because everyone moves on.

But bringing in 35 guys (while only giving out 10 scholarships or whatever) is a whole other issue. And that's the one that feels exploitative to me.

Comment

4 full schools, 6 half schollys, 12 quarter schollys, plus a couple of academic schollys gets you about 24 players receiving some sort of financial aid. Probably not going to build a champ team with that sort of roster building, but if your coaching staff has good eyes and silver tongues...and then can coach'em up you can field a team that is competitive.

Heck, for years WLU was able to field great teams with forgotten, unrecruited overachievers.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Those are two slightly different issues. Bringing in transfers to turn around a program quickly is definitely with us (and sorta has been for a while, if you look at Slippery Rock's history). I think we've all come to accept that our teams/leagues will basically feel like Minor League Baseball at this point: learn a whole new roster every year because everyone moves on.

But bringing in 35 guys (while only giving out 10 scholarships or whatever) is a whole other issue. And that's the one that feels exploitative to me.
                        Wonder how they allocate practice time? Is there a 20 member jv team that practices separately under guidance of assistant coach? Hard to get better with little practice time against better players

I think only 15 can be in scorebook for a game.

Comment

MEC is 5-3 in head-to-head vs the PSAC after the first night of action. Eight more games today.

MEC is 2-0 in head-to-head vs the CIAA after the first night. Two games today.
                          Last edited by boatcapt; 11-11-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Men's basketball? I counted 23

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              MEC is 5-3 in head-to-head vs the PSAC after the first night of action. Eight more games today.

MEC is 2-0 in head-to-head vs the CIAA after the first night. Two games today.
                              In the Sunday games:

MEC went 3-5 vs the PSAC

MEC is showing 0-1 vs the CIAA with no results posted for the Davis Elkins vs WSSU game.

For reference purposes, four MEC teams stand undefeated after the first weekend (WLU, Fairmont, Concord and D&E), four PSAC teams are undefeated (ESU, Gannon, Cal and Millersville). Four MEC, nine PSAC and six CIAA teams stand .500 after the first week while six CIAA, five PSAC and three MEC teams have no victories. AND Virginia Union stands 1-3 on the season.

Comment

ESU wasn't perfect, but they got the job done on the road! Friday night, they survived with arguably their best post player going 0-11 from the floor. Can't wait for the first weeknd of December, when Mercyhurst and Gannnon come calling!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X