Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Could be...But I note that there is one DII conference in the area that is actively looking. May be coincidental timing but then again...

So what would losing Hurst, were ever they go, do to the PSAC? Would there be a "rush for the exits" among some other teams (Gannon, Seton Hill, etc)? Would the PSAC attempt to entice a member of another conference to join like they have in the past? Do they try and convince a D3 in PA to make the move to DII? If they are unsuccessful bring in a replacement, how would that effect the current east/west breakdown?
    I've long thought the next target would be either West Liberty, Fairmont State or the (likely) Frostburg State.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That would be shocking - and a stretch. Mercyhurst's facilities (football and basketball) are awful (and very tiny).
      They can't be any worse than half the schools in the NEC...
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

I have no idea if Division I is what bvillejoe was suggesting the rumor is, but another Division II league doesn't make sense, and Division III doesn't make any sense to me since they already have Division I hockey- I don't think that'd even be allowed.
        There are some D3 schools who play D1 ice hockey (RPI, RIT, St Lawrence come to mind).

Comment

Could be...But I note that there is one DII conference in the area that is actively looking. May be coincidental timing but then again...

So what would losing Hurst, were ever they go, do to the PSAC? Would there be a "rush for the exits" among some other teams (Gannon, Seton Hill, etc)? Would the PSAC attempt to entice a member of another conference to join like they have in the past? Do they try and convince a D3 in PA to make the move to DII? If they are unsuccessful bring in a replacement, how would that effect the current east/west breakdown?
          Why on earth would Mercyhurst entertain the idea of moving to a West Virginia-centered league like the MEC when they have two division rivals (Edinboro and Gannon) literally in the same county? Not to mention that Slippery Rock is a relatively short trip (about 90 minutes, maybe less) down 79, Clarion is slightly closer (about 2 hours via 79 and 80) and Hurst's longest trip in the PSAC West is Johnstown (3 1/2 hours), which is somewhat manageable.

I get that there are some sore feelings after Shepherd left the MEC for the PSAC, but this theory of Mercyhurst to the MEC seems like nothing more than desperation.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

There are some D3 schools who play D1 ice hockey (RPI, RIT, St Lawrence come to mind).
            All those schools have exemptions if I understand the rule correctly. I don't think it's allowed anymore.

Agreed. Mercyhurst joining the MEC is asinine. 1/3 of the schools are on the verge of closing. At least the struggling PSAC schools have the backing of state funding.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Why on earth would Mercyhurst entertain the idea of moving to a West Virginia-centered league like the MEC when they have two division rivals (Edinboro and Gannon) literally in the same county? Not to mention that Slippery Rock is a relatively short trip (about 90 minutes, maybe less) down 79, Clarion is slightly closer (about 2 hours via 79 and 80) and Hurst's longest trip in the PSAC West is Johnstown (3 1/2 hours), which is somewhat manageable.

I get that there are some sore feelings after Shepherd left the MEC for the PSAC, but this theory of Mercyhurst to the MEC seems like nothing more than desperation.
              Not saying it is a theory, just saying there is one DII conference looking to replace a team (two actually) and then rumors pop-up about Hurst considering leaving the PSAC. Could be a coincidence of timing...Then again...maybe not.

Comment

All those schools have exemptions if I understand the rule correctly. I don't think it's allowed anymore.

Agreed. Mercyhurst joining the MEC is asinine. 1/3 of the schools are on the verge of closing. At least the struggling PSAC schools have the backing of state funding.
                I believe you're correct. I don't know the exact rules, but those D3 schools playing D1 hockey were grandfathered into remaining in D1 (Union-NY actually won a national title in 2014). You do see a handful of D2 schools (mostly NSIC and GLIAC) playing D1 hockey - Minnesota-Duluth won back to back national titles in 2018 and 2019 mainly because hockey isn't sponsored at the D2 level.

Comment

I've long thought the next target would be either West Liberty, Fairmont State or the (likely) Frostburg State.
                  So what happens if those schools say no (likely)? What direction would the PSAC go in then?

Comment

I would note that the churn (closings) of MEC schools have all been Private schools...State schools are all still chugging along with none as of yet being forced to merge to keep from closing. That's not to say that all are in great shape financially...but what public school can say they are in great shape? "Good" schools are the ones that are in "less bad" condition than others. For comparison sake, over 1/3 (35%) of PSAC public schools have either completely shuttered their athletic program in an effort to save themselves from closing or been forced into mergers to try and keep the creditors from nailing a notice of public auction to their front doors.

As for public funding, WV Higher Education Commission funding to state public universities like WLU, Fairmont and even Shepherd is up approximately 7% over the last two years.
                    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-19-2024, 10:13 AM.

Comment

I have no idea if Division I is what bvillejoe was suggesting the rumor is, but another Division II league doesn't make sense, and Division III doesn't make any sense to me since they already have Division I hockey- I don't think that'd even be allowed.

The travel I agree with- their travel budgets would become astronomical. PSAC travel is about as cheap as you can get. Does anyone know how the school is doing financially? That would be my thing- coaching salaries, # of positions, etc would all increase. Only way you are increasing revenue is through basketball and maybe football?

Facilities though, I completely disagree. Nobody in that league has a nice facility for basketball. They've let in LeMoyne and Stonehill in the last few years who have worse facilities than Mercyhurst. The NEC is on life support, they aren't concerned about whether a gym holds 1,200 or 3,500.
                      Mercyhurst tends to keep a tight ship on its finances, but in June S&P downgraded their bond rating based on finishing the fiscal year with a deficit and declining enrollment.

Comment

I would note that the churn (closings) of MEC schools have all been Private schools...State schools are all still chugging along with none as of yet being forced to merge to keep from closing. That's not to say that all are in great shape financially...but what public school can say they are in great shape? "Good" schools are the ones that are in "less bad" condition than others. For comparison sake, over 1/3 (35%) of PSAC public schools have either completely shuttered their athletic program in an effort to save themselves from closing or been forced into mergers to try and keep the creditors from nailing a notice of public auction to their front doors.

As for public funding, WV Higher Education Commission funding to state public universities like WLU, Fairmont and even Shepherd is up approximately 7% over the last two years.
                        Slippery Rock is in great shape. Small enrollment increase this past year. Currently looking to purchase additional furniture to house new students they don't have room for.

Comment

So what happens if those schools say no (likely)? What direction would the PSAC go in then?
                          Maybe they'd do nothing. They have 18 schools.

Although I don't think all three would say no.

Comment

Maybe they'd do nothing. They have 18 schools.

Although I don't think all three would say no.
                            I tend to think the PSAC is too big. There would be no need to add anyone. Some realignment is all you need. Fewer teams would allow more out of conference games, or more fair inter divisional scheduling. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't lose a couple state schools to DIII as well in the next 5 years or so.

Comment

There is not a PASSHE school that I'm aware of other than Cheyney, which is no longer a member of the PSAC, that has completely shuttered its athletic program.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I tend to think the PSAC is too big. There would be no need to add anyone. Some realignment is all you need. Fewer teams would allow more out of conference games, or more fair inter divisional scheduling. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't lose a couple state schools to DIII as well in the next 5 years or so.

The only mild issue this very hypothetical Mercyhurst departure would cause is an uneven number of football schools. UPJ and Mansfield don't have football programs.

If the PSAC did want to add a football-playing school, it wouldn't have any issues doing so.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X