Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

And I was more joking around referring to simple's idea that SD doesn't produce good basketball talent....clearly they have to import it from other states lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      And I was more joking around referring to simple's idea that SD doesn't produce good basketball talent....clearly they have to import it from other states lol.
      Yours I understood. In all seriousness, I will be very curious to see how the South Dakota kids from this recruiting class shake out in the long run. In terms of praise and accolades, the three South Dakota kids we got are some of the best in South Dakota high school basketball in the past several years. Two of the three, Plitzuweit and Hanson, received Summit League offers. In his two years of SD ball, Plitzuweit scored more than 1,000 points in just 32 games. LeBrun scored more than 2,000 career points at Flandreau and would be grabbing quite a few headlines if not for Plitzuweit. If it ends up being that they aren't competitive in the NSIC in another couple of years, it could be pretty telling of the talent gap between D2 SD kids and D2 MN kids still not having narrowed all that much.

Comment

We ran into a gentleman tonight who claimed to be a "Born and raised " Augie kid....while he mentioned we were all in the MIC conference and that if anyone was going to win not named Augie he wants it to be Northern, then said you all Hate Northern, then said oh yeah, we all know Northern as UND...

We played along as our young Commrad struggled through non sober words, he was able to come up with Jordan Spencer after asking him hoops knowledge for ten minutes.

He then also brought up how big of fans they were and how they hated Jordan Miller...then brought up d2messageboards on his own. I thought we had found an Augie poster, or at least Common Sense....but after holding him up against a wall by his collar and asking him who he worked for, he was simply a passer by, but icing on the cake to an alright night out, haha

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          #1 Truth is Plitzuweit has lived in SD for 2 years, he is a Kentucky native. I'm thrilled to have him as a Viking. He is a true D1 player and will light it up in the NSIC.
          :)

Comment

A couple of quick updates on Augie's 2018 commits:

-Incoming big man Trevor Hanson's Sioux Valley squad lost in the semi-finals last night to Madison. Hanson's team struggled in the first half, made a run at the end, and lost by 2 after a turnover on the final possession. Hanson himself had 28 points and 11 boards, going against the SDSU-committed Aaron Fiegen (who is 6'7" himself) in a pretty good match-up. Would've enjoyed seeing Hanson in the championship, but congrats to him on a great season.

-Both of Augie's 2018 Minnesota commits worked their way into the Class AA state tournament. Michael Schaefer of St. Cloud Cathedral put up a solid 16 points, 16 boards, and 4 assists in a win last night to reach the final 8, and I haven't been able to get stats for Tiedman, but his Jordan Hubmen are in it as well.

-Augie's other two 2018s lost in the round before the SD state tournament, with Flandreau's Dylan LeBrun losing to Hanson's Sioux Valley squad a couple of weeks ago and AJ Plitzuweit's Vermillion squad dropping a super close one to Dakota Valley. Both finish as two of the best players at their respective schools, particularly with Plitzuweit only having been at Vermillion for two years.

Looking forward to seeing how Schaefer and Tiedman do in the MN state tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
              A couple of quick updates on Augie's 2018 commits:

-Incoming big man Trevor Hanson's Sioux Valley squad lost in the semi-finals last night to Madison. Hanson's team struggled in the first half, made a run at the end, and lost by 2 after a turnover on the final possession. Hanson himself had 28 points and 11 boards, going against the SDSU-committed Aaron Fiegen (who is 6'7" himself) in a pretty good match-up. Would've enjoyed seeing Hanson in the championship, but congrats to him on a great season.

-Both of Augie's 2018 Minnesota commits worked their way into the Class AA state tournament. Michael Schaefer of St. Cloud Cathedral put up a solid 16 points, 16 boards, and 4 assists in a win last night to reach the final 8, and I haven't been able to get stats for Tiedman, but his Jordan Hubmen are in it as well.

-Augie's other two 2018s lost in the round before the SD state tournament, with Flandreau's Dylan LeBrun losing to Hanson's Sioux Valley squad a couple of weeks ago and AJ Plitzuweit's Vermillion squad dropping a super close one to Dakota Valley. Both finish as two of the best players at their respective schools, particularly with Plitzuweit only having been at Vermillion for two years.

Looking forward to seeing how Schaefer and Tiedman do in the MN state tourney.
              Was Hanson and Fiegen matched up against each other and how did Fiegen do? Glad to see Trevor had such a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                Was Hanson and Fiegen matched up against each other and how did Fiegen do? Glad to see Trevor had such a good game.
                Yes and no. They weren't always matched up against each other. Sioux Valley went in and out of a zone a lot, and Madison didn't put Fiegen on Hanson from beginning to end, but Fiegen was probably the most equipped on his team to attempt to hold Hanson for the Bulldogs, so he ended up on him quite a bit.

Fiegen had 14 points, but he also has two teammates (SDSU football commits and extremely athletic) in Jadon and Jaxon Janke who help carry the load. I would say Fiegen is underutilized by Madison. I think if he were in a position as the "key player" and his team treated him as such, he'd most likely end up in the 22-25 ppg range. Even though he only had 14, you could easily see why he was highly sought-after by SDSU, NDSU, Augie and several other D2 schools west of the Minnesota border.

That being said, Hanson has some pretty sound all-around skills. I was really impressed with his court awareness. Must have racked up 3-4 assists just by having good court vision when getting surrounded by double teams and finding an open man, along with a couple of threes, several post scores, and a few dunks. I think by his sophomore/junior year, he's going to be a force in the NSIC (assuming he stays healthy/injury-free).

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                  Minnesota section playoffs start this week. By the end of next week should know whether cathedral or Jordan qualify for state. Mn has six classes. Believe Jordan and cathedral are either class 4A or 5A.
                  Well, both of your MN boys made the state tourney, and they both play in the same location on Wed. night. Jordan at 6:00 vs the #1 seed Minnehaha, and Cathedral at 8:00 vs #4 seed Esko. Both games are at the Target Center.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                    Well, both of your MN boys made the state tourney, and they both play in the same location on Wed. night. Jordan at 6:00 vs the #1 seed Minnehaha, and Cathedral at 8:00 vs #4 seed Esko. Both games are at the Target Center.
                    I like Tiedman from the little I've seen of him (heard he's one of those works-his-butt-off types of kids), but I feel like it'll take a Herculean effort from his squad to take down Minnehaha, based on what I know of Minnehaha Academy.

The Cathedral game could be a lot better. From the schedule, the Crusaders only lost by 3 to Esko earlier this year, so maybe they'll have what it takes to advance.

Are these games live streamed now? Or do they not start broadcasting them until the next round?

Comment

I like Tiedman from the little I've seen of him (heard he's one of those works-his-butt-off types of kids), but I feel like it'll take a Herculean effort from his squad to take down Minnehaha, based on what I know of Minnehaha Academy.

The Cathedral game could be a lot better. From the schedule, the Crusaders only lost by 3 to Esko earlier this year, so maybe they'll have what it takes to advance.

Are these games live streamed now? Or do they not start broadcasting them until the next round?
                      Webcast: The quarterfinals will be streamed live free of charge by School Space Media on www.prepspotlight.tv . The championship semifinals and championship games will be streamed live on prep45.com by GrandStadium. Cost is $10.95 per day or $23.97 for a three-day pass.

Comment

Webcast: The quarterfinals will be streamed live free of charge by School Space Media on www.prepspotlight.tv . The championship semifinals and championship games will be streamed live on prep45.com by GrandStadium. Cost is $10.95 per day or $23.97 for a three-day pass.
                        One of the few times I can say thanks without sarcasm.

Is the charge for the semifinals and championships new within the last year or two? I feel like I watched Bodey Behrends's team play in the state championship game a couple years ago on that prep45.com page for free. Bummer if they've started charging for it recently. I enjoy watching Augie's recruits, but not enough to pay $11 a day.

Comment

One of the few times I can say thanks without sarcasm.

Is the charge for the semifinals and championships new within the last year or two? I feel like I watched Bodey Behrends's team play in the state championship game a couple years ago on that prep45.com page for free. Bummer if they've started charging for it recently. I enjoy watching Augie's recruits, but not enough to pay $11 a day.
                          Not such a bad guy after all, am I? Between you and the Northern guys, I'm not sure who loves me more over the course of this last month.

Then buy the 3 day package and its only $8 dollars a day. See right there I'm saving you $3 a day, over the course of a year, that's $1095. Tell you what, you send me $500 and we'll call it even. :)

Comment

Not such a bad guy after all, am I? Between you and the Northern guys, I'm not sure who loves me more over the course of this last month.

Then buy the 3 day package and its only $8 dollars a day. See right there I'm saving you $3 a day, over the course of a year, that's $1095. Tell you what, you send me $500 and we'll call it even. :)
                            I avoided business classes as much as possible during my time at Augie, but I'm pretty sure this sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime deal. I'm all over it.

Comment

Posted this on November 16th:
                              Hard to swallow that we are about to lose to Graceland.
                              As a follow-up, Graceland won the NAIA National Championship last night. So at least I can feel 4-8% better about that loss earlier this season.

Comment

In news equally as important as today's game, Augie has announced its four finalists for the open Athletic Director position. One of them will be particularly familiar to NSIC fans: http://goaugie.com/news/2018/3/24/ge...announced.aspx

Augustana Announces Finalists for Director of Athletics

SIOUX FALLS -- Four finalists have been selected for the director of athletics position at Augustana University and will participate in on-campus interviews this week.

The finalists include Josh Morton, an assistant athletics director for Michigan State University; Steve Schofield, deputy director of athletics, external operations, for the University of Northern Iowa; Nikki Fennern, athletic director for Saint Mary's University of Minnesota; and Travis Whipple, deputy director of athletics for Texas A&M-Corpus Christi University.

At Michigan State, Josh Morton works with alumni in Michigan and metropolitan areas of the western U.S. to build financial support for MSU athletics, capital projects, endowments and programmatic gifts. Prior to MSU, he served as an associate athletics director for the University of North Dakota where he was the liaison between the university and the architectural firm behind the UND High Performance Center. Before beginning his career in college athletics, he was a television sports anchor in Charleston, South Carolina. He holds a bachelor's degree from the University of North Dakota.

At Northern Iowa, Steve Schofield oversees marketing and branding, ticket management and communications, as well as partnerships and events for UNI athletics. He also supervises coaches and staff and manages student athletic groups with a focus on student engagement. Prior to UNI, he worked in NCAA Division I compliance at Florida State University, the University of Maryland and the University of Minnesota. He holds a bachelor's degree from UNI and a master's degree in higher and postsecondary education from Arizona State University.

At Saint Mary's, Dr. Nikki Fennern oversees the administration of 21 varsity teams, works with the university's development office to build fundraising support for athletics and works with coaches and staff on student-athlete recruiting and enrollment management. Most recently, she oversaw the construction of a $2.8 million track and field/soccer complex. She holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls, a master's degree in athletic administration from South Dakota State University and a doctorate in educational leadership from Saint Mary's University.

At Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, Travis Whipple leads fundraising efforts, guides the department's external relations staff and activities and has sport oversight for men's basketball, volleyball and tennis. Previously, he served as the assistant athletic director for external operations at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, where he was responsible for major gifts, event management and marketing. He holds a bachelor's degree from Winona State University and a master's degree in educational leadership and sports management, also from Winona State University.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X