Clear All

• laker
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

AugieMensBball
    @AugieMensBball
    2h2 hours ago
    More
    Good Luck to @Saug13! As he starts a new challenge! Austin is a 2017 graduate from @GoAugie and part of our basketball family. Today is his first day of Medical School! #WeAreAu #buildingchampions

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blue Ridge Viking
    replied

I'm not quite as optimistic (but always hopeful). We lost the top four scorers from a team that barely finished above .500. I think Cartwright is the real deal and poised for some high-scoring games, and Dykman's athleticism wasn't taken full advantage of. The freshmen, especially Plitzuweit, look promising, but it's asking a lot for an improved record with such a young team. Not a senior among them.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Surprisingly (even to myself), I haven't put a ton of time into thinking about what's going to happen this upcoming season. I'd love to think some of our new incoming talent will outweigh our outgoing talent, but we lost a few pretty good players.

I get the feeling we are still 1-2 years away from making some serious noise in the conference again, but I will be very happy if this year's team proves me wrong. I think a lot will depend on how the duo of Dykman and Riemersma connect on the court and how dynamic that 1-2 combo can be when it comes to just getting a strong basket when we need a basket. And if we don't have at least one or two of the freshmen really make an impact (my money is on Plitzuweit and Schaefer, but I'm also not a gambling man), it's going to be another more-average-than-not type of season. I think one of the most important pieces of the puzzle is whether Cartwright can play consistently at the level he showed flashes of around the mid-season point last year, or if he will have another year of fading in and out. I appreciated his fearlessness when it came to shooting and not hesitating to pull the trigger whether it was a game-winning/game-tying attempt or the first shot of the game, but I'd love to see more consistency from him night in and night out this year.

In general, I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up anywhere between 16-14 to 20-8. Anything better than that and I will be extra happy (as well as extremely excited for the future).

But again, those are just quick thoughts without my usual extensive over-consideration. I'm turning into Toucan and getting too distracted by life these days to give much extra thought to basketball season. :)
    Thanks MrA. Must say that I am excited to see all this new talent on the Hardwood. I'll go with 19-9 and getting stronger as the season progresses!

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Dan Jansen is not a high jumper but, then again he is a legitimate 6'9"

Whether he got offers or not, nice to have a guy who was looked at by good D1 schools.

With a great class coming in and the Navy transfer Tyler Riemersma at 6'8" 215lbs. Tyler played in 28 games as a freshman, which hopefully means he will be a good player immediately. I'm thinking the Vik's will be much improved this upcoming season. I wonder what our 2 AU basketball guru's MrAugustana and Augieholic think of the Vikings 18/19 season prospective?
    Surprisingly (even to myself), I haven't put a ton of time into thinking about what's going to happen this upcoming season. I'd love to think some of our new incoming talent will outweigh our outgoing talent, but we lost a few pretty good players.

I get the feeling we are still 1-2 years away from making some serious noise in the conference again, but I will be very happy if this year's team proves me wrong. I think a lot will depend on how the duo of Dykman and Riemersma connect on the court and how dynamic that 1-2 combo can be when it comes to just getting a strong basket when we need a basket. And if we don't have at least one or two of the freshmen really make an impact (my money is on Plitzuweit and Schaefer, but I'm also not a gambling man), it's going to be another more-average-than-not type of season. I think one of the most important pieces of the puzzle is whether Cartwright can play consistently at the level he showed flashes of around the mid-season point last year, or if he will have another year of fading in and out. I appreciated his fearlessness when it came to shooting and not hesitating to pull the trigger whether it was a game-winning/game-tying attempt or the first shot of the game, but I'd love to see more consistency from him night in and night out this year.

In general, I wouldn't be shocked if we ended up anywhere between 16-14 to 20-8. Anything better than that and I will be extra happy (as well as extremely excited for the future).

But again, those are just quick thoughts without my usual extensive over-consideration. I'm turning into Toucan and getting too distracted by life these days to give much extra thought to basketball season. :)

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by Blue Ridge Viking View Post
    Re: Wheelock, found an article that said he visited USD, Creighton, Drake and Loyola Marymount. Not sure how serious any of those visits were. Didn't read anything that said he had received offers from any other school. Has a nice outside shot for a (relatively) big man, though I'm not sure he got more than a foot off the floor in any of the highlight videos I watched.
    Dan Jansen is not a high jumper but, then again he is a legitimate 6'9"

Whether he got offers or not, nice to have a guy who was looked at by good D1 schools.

With a great class coming in and the Navy transfer Tyler Riemersma at 6'8" 215lbs. Tyler played in 28 games as a freshman, which hopefully means he will be a good player immediately. I'm thinking the Vik's will be much improved this upcoming season. I wonder what our 2 AU basketball guru's MrAugustana and Augieholic think of the Vikings 18/19 season prospective?

Leave a comment:

• Blue Ridge Viking
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Reading his twitter page, people he follows and those whom follow him shows no indication he is going anywhere.

Matt Wheelock appears to be a scholarship player. https://twitter.com/billupselite
    Re: Wheelock, found an article that said he visited USD, Creighton, Drake and Loyola Marymount. Not sure how serious any of those visits were. Didn't read anything that said he had received offers from any other school. Has a nice outside shot for a (relatively) big man, though I'm not sure he got more than a foot off the floor in any of the highlight videos I watched.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    I've heard rumblings that he's going D1 but nothing official.
    Reading his twitter page, people he follows and those whom follow him shows no indication he is going anywhere.

Matt Wheelock appears to be a scholarship player. https://twitter.com/billupselite

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Bumping an old topic. Has anyone heard where John Warren is headed? I would have thought he'd have announced his new school by now.
    I've heard rumblings that he's going D1 but nothing official.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Bumping an old topic. Has anyone heard where John Warren is headed? I would have thought he'd have announced his new school by now.
    After reading thru his twitter page he has made no decision. https://twitter.com/johnwarren_3

I found a 2019 commit a 6'8" 2019 grad out of CO. https://twitter.com/MaTt7o2 Does anybody know of this young man?

Leave a comment:

• Blue Ridge Viking
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wsuguy87
    replied

Who will you complain about if we leave though?
    Myself. Not a fan of that guy at all.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
    If Augie does go D1, it will be a heck of a change for the NSIC. One less team that has major built-in advantages over the strong majority of the conference.

The rich don't stay with the poor for long. :)
    Who will you complain about if we leave though?

Leave a comment:

• wsuguy87
    replied

I'm at the point where I just want a decision to get made one way or the other.
    If Augie does go D1, it will be a heck of a change for the NSIC. One less team that has major built-in advantages over the strong majority of the conference.

The rich don't stay with the poor for long. :)

Leave a comment:

• DapperDan
    replied

I'm at the point where I just want a decision to get made one way or the other.
    With this much chatter its going to happen. Just a matter of when. Thanks for the memories.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X