• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Bumped by the Sioux Empire Home Show.....ouch!
    I could be mistaken, but I think that is the same event that prevented Augie from hosting the Regional at the Arena in 2014-15 and 2015-16. If that's the case, it would mean the Arena is open for Regional hosting responsibilities this year. Now we go, Vikes.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Interesting development--apparently the Vikes will have to play USF and SMSU at the Elmen Center to finish out the regular season. USF in the Elmen Center will definitely be interesting.

That may have been mentioned already, but I wasn't aware of it until today.
    Bumped by the Sioux Empire Home Show.....ouch!

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

I think it's been shared already, but Augie's website just did a release on the 2018-19 schedule: https://goaugie.com/news/2018/10/2/m...-schedule.aspx

Interesting development--apparently the Vikes will have to play USF and SMSU at the Elmen Center to finish out the regular season. USF in the Elmen Center will definitely be interesting.

That may have been mentioned already, but I wasn't aware of it until today.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Interesting stuff, Augieholic....Sounds like SRU got a find...I hope you don't mind, but I cross-posted your synopsis over on the Atlantic board...

Tell me though, what was his reason for the transfer? Seems odd leaving Augustana

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    John Warren ended up at Slippery Rock in PSAC....

The coach at SRU has been "transfer" U for some time now...Roster turns over almost every year...they are semi-successful with molding a new lineup every year..but they have a stud back for his senior season, Micah Till...

How good is this John Warren??
    The one week I take off from refreshing The Rock's roster page to see when this would become official....damn.

John Warren is one of the best wing defenders in all of Division 2, he can absolutely swallow people alive when hes locked in and his wingspan creates steals for himself and those around him. Offensively he has a dreamy shot that can take over a game and the ability to rise up and finish like few in the NSIC as USF's Drew Geubert learned during his baptism at the hoop last winter. Having given you the hard sell on my John Warren Island holdings I'm obligated to disclose that consistency is a concern. Game to game and posession to possession you never quite knew what John would show up.

Augie may not have won the National Title without his steal to seal the Regional Championship and I'll truly miss watching him be an alpha on this year's Augie team.

Former Viking Nolen Gerald is joining John at The Rock, hes a solid athlete who is capable of producing jumpshots that can harm anyone in the vicinity of the hoop.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by Ole. View Post
    Does anyone know if John Warren transferred to another school or what he's doing now?
    John Warren ended up at Slippery Rock in PSAC....

The coach at SRU has been "transfer" U for some time now...Roster turns over almost every year...they are semi-successful with molding a new lineup every year..but they have a stud back for his senior season, Micah Till...

How good is this John Warren??

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Cool video/story on 2019 commit Bennett Otto attending homecoming coronation with two fans/friends from his high school who have Down Syndrome: https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...k/89-598109242

Fun to see stories like that for incoming recruits.

On a side note, Otto is having a pretty great year as the starting QB at Champlin Park after missing all of last season with a shoulder (maybe collarbone?) injury. Looking forward to seeing how he performs on the court for CP after football season ends.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied

Augie's official roster has been posted: https://goaugie.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Looks like, along with the expected/discussed players coming in and returning, we've also added a transfer from California named Beau Keeve, as well as handful of other names I don't recognize (I think a few might be walk-ons or players from Augie's JV team).

Also interesting is that Levi Jansen, who I was under the impression had hung up his basketball shoes for good due to injury, is still on the roster. Not sure if he has finally gotten healthy or what, but I would love to see him back at full strength if that's the case. From what I understand, he has basically been injured to a significant degree since arriving at Augie, so Viking fans have never seen him totally healthy. Could be huge to have him back if that's the case, especially for a team that needs any veteran experience it can get.

The only senior on the roster is Carter Rynda, who currently has no stats listed, so my guess is that when it comes to key/impact players, junior Adam Dykman is basically our only upperclass player on the roster. All of our other key returners and incoming players are either freshmen or sophomores. Could be good for us a year or two down the line, but, as Augieholic has predicted, it's pretty clear this could be a very up-and-down year for the Vikes.

That being said, as always, I'm excited for this potentially up-and-down year to get going. We're only a few weeks away from opening day of practice, as crazy as that sounds with school having just started.
    JV is definitely something MSU needs to tap into. There's a lot of talent just practicing for 2 seasons

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Also interesting is that Levi Jansen, who I was under the impression had hung up his basketball shoes for good due to injury, is still on the roster. Not sure if he has finally gotten healthy or what, but I would love to see him back at full strength if that's the case. From what I understand, he has basically been injured to a significant degree since arriving at Augie, so Viking fans have never seen him totally healthy. Could be huge to have him back if that's the case, especially for a team that needs any veteran experience it can get.
    Could be a situation like at the U of M, where Jarvis Johnson had to retire due to injury, but the school honored his scholarship and he's still on the roster even though he'll never play.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Augie's official roster has been posted: https://goaugie.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Looks like, along with the expected/discussed players coming in and returning, we've also added a transfer from California named Beau Keeve, as well as handful of other names I don't recognize (I think a few might be walk-ons or players from Augie's JV team).

The only senior on the roster is Carter Rynda, who currently has no stats listed, so my guess is that when it comes to key/impact players, junior Adam Dykman is basically our only upperclass player on the roster. All of our other key returners and incoming players are either freshmen or sophomores. Could be good for us a year or two down the line, but, as Augieholic has predicted, it's pretty clear this could be a very up-and-down year for the Vikes.

That being said, as always, I'm excited for this potentially up-and-down year to get going. We're only a few weeks away from opening day of practice, as crazy as that sounds with school having just started.

Leave a comment:

• Ole.
    replied

Does anyone know if John Warren transferred to another school or what he's doing now?

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Don't really know where else to put this, but I thought it was interesting. Northstar Hoops did a look back at their 2012 rankings to see how each kid's career shook out. Casey Schilling at #17 was probably the best in the bunch as far as the D2 players went. In my biased opinion, at least. Mike Busack, Kyle Bauman and Tyler Vaughn were a few other good ones from that class.

https://t.co/aPALpODhjK?amp=1

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Got posted in the 2019 Recruiting thread, but Isaac Fink committed to the Vikes late last week. Fink is an already 2,000+ point scorer from Springfield, MN and had offers from Augie, Moorhead, Duluth, St. Cloud, SMSU, USF.

Here are some highlights: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/isaa...EWg/videos.htm

https://twitter.com/streethistory/st...72219645521922

Certainly seems to have a knack for getting the ball in the basket. Looking forward to following Isaac, Bennett Otto, and Matt Wheelock this season before they become Vikings.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    From the little I know about him, he is a 3&D guy. Not going to fill up the stat sheet by any means but will certainly fill a role.
    I'm perfectly fine with that (the Vikes have a couple of guys I'm guessing they'll be relying on for high volume scoring anyway). That being said, it seems crazy to me that a kid who averaged 17 ppg, 3.5 assists per game and 3.5 rebounds per game for one of the more competitive Twin Cities schools in a highly competitive conference only had a basketball offer from Augie. Should be fun to see if he's a bit of a diamond in the rough or something. Of course, a good 3&D player is always going to find minutes somewhere, even if that's the limit of his skill set.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    6'4 SG from Champlin Park HS

Texas Tom racking up the wings, hopefully Tom Thibodeau takes notice.
    From the little I know about him, he is a 3&D guy. Not going to fill up the stat sheet by any means but will certainly fill a role.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X