Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 MIAA Thread

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Any ideas on the reasons for those issues? Guys sick at all? Did young Mr. Witthus bring to Maryville the same culture he reportedly was trying to flee in Mankato? (Sorry Mav fans, couldn't resist.)

Seriously though, I still think you guys are the best team. During our run two years ago, we lost to a Washburn team that finished upper middle of the MIAA (if that) and a Northern State team that was competitive but I'm pretty sure wasn't even a regional contender. Having seen the Wolves play against Augie this year, I think the Wolves are more beatable than the Bearcats, but maybe Augieholic and others who are smarter than me--basically anyone not named simple as a $3 bill--would disagree. Also doesn't help NSU that Paterka is out.
    I don't know of sickness or anything like that- other than the 86catillac jinx above ;). Defense was good enough. Offense was just really bad. I think this team is slightly below last year's team offensively and defensively. The big difference is I'm not sure this team is as tough mentally. There may be sickness or things like that which I'm not aware of but they did look tired. Many of those point blank misses never got above the rim- hit where rim and backboard meet, barely grazed front of rim, etc. Pitts was dribbling off his leg with little pressure and he had as many shots blocked (against a fairly unathletic team) as he has the rest of the year total. I'm not sure why they would be tired though. They do play only 7 but Mac really balances the minutes. I'm not taking the time to look it up but I looked earlier this week and hoping memory is correct. Pitts averages 36 min/game, next is Ndow at 30 minutes.

It could have been just one of those nights but this is 2 now in the last couple of weeks. I think many believed the Southern loss would be a wakeup call but then we had this loss. The talent is there but I hope they weren't looking past this team, that is the mental toughness aspect I mentioned above.

As for Witthus, I know it was a joke but this article is from a couple weeks ago. I think it says a lot about the Mankato program (or his perspective of it) without saying anything directly. http://www.bearcatsports.com/news/20...px?path=mbball

Comment

Any ideas on the reasons for those issues? Guys sick at all? Did young Mr. Witthus bring to Maryville the same culture he reportedly was trying to flee in Mankato? (Sorry Mav fans, couldn't resist.)

Seriously though, I still think you guys are the best team. During our run two years ago, we lost to a Washburn team that finished upper middle of the MIAA (if that) and a Northern State team that was competitive but I'm pretty sure wasn't even a regional contender. Having seen the Wolves play against Augie this year, I think the Wolves are more beatable than the Bearcats, but maybe Augieholic and others who are smarter than me--basically anyone not named simple as a $3 bill--would disagree. Also doesn't help NSU that Paterka is out.

Comment

So NW Mo spends all that money on football but doesn't have enough left over for a competent training staff?

Comment

If that last sentence of yours was said with some sort of passive aggression or some other sort of defensiveness, you can calm down. I am sorry to hear that Pitts got injured, as that is never fun for anyone involved. If I'm just reading too much into what you wrote and it wasn't said that way, nevermind. Just seemed like a comment made with some sort of edge to it, as if I'm wrong for asking the question about what happened in the game.

Comment

If that last sentence of yours was said with some sort of passive aggression or some other sort of defensiveness, you can calm down. I am sorry to hear that Pitts got injured, as that is never fun for anyone involved. If I'm just reading too much into what you wrote and it wasn't said that way, nevermind. Just seemed like a comment made with some sort of edge to it, as if I'm wrong for asking the question about what happened in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
              So NW Mo spends all that money on football but doesn't have enough left over for a competent training staff?

Comment

Gotcha. I didn't spend a ton of time reading into it, just read it, thought it came off as defensive via text, and, unlike my dear friends Augieholic and Guest69, I prefer to diffuse tension rather than increase it. I try not to have beefs with most of the good citizens of D2MessageBoard Land. Plus, most of the guys I used to beef with have mostly vanished from our community.

Also, I don't know if I've ever experienced a windless day on the great plains. It's way too windy here.

Comment

Gotcha. I didn't spend a ton of time reading into it, just read it, thought it came off as defensive via text, and, unlike my dear friends Augieholic and Guest69, I prefer to diffuse tension rather than increase it. I try not to have beefs with most of the good citizens of D2MessageBoard Land. Plus, most of the guys I used to beef with have mostly vanished from our community.

Also, I don't know if I've ever experienced a windless day on the great plains. It's way too windy here.
                  Last edited by 86Catillac; 01-20-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• Comment

NWMSU 33
                      FHSU 20

NW playing well without Pitts so far. Ndow is on his way to a double-double (8 points-7 rebounds).

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatMediaStudent1 View Post
                        NWMSU 33
                        FHSU 20

NW playing well without Pitts so far. Ndow is on his way to a double-double (8 points-7 rebounds).
                        Welty playing well too. Our length giving hays all sorts of trouble.

Comment

Pitt State upsets Washburn 76-74. First MIAA loss of the year for the Ichabods.

Comment

NW squeaks by Hays 72-67

Bearcats improve to 16-2 (8-2) on the season.

Top Performers:
                            Ndow 20pts 14rebs
                            Witthus 15pts 3 assists
                            Dougherty 13pts 7 assists
                            Welty 12pts 4rebs
                            Kurth 10pts 4rebs

Comment

Glad to see NW get a win without Justin. I was at the UNK game and the Lopers really pounded on him. He should have spend most of the game at the foul line.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                                That was quite possibly the worst game I've seen from Pitts in his career. I can't even count how many point blank shots NW missed. As was mentioned above, no energy and completely flat. Offense was stagnant. Throw it in to post and everybody watch. Not a good showing at all.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X