Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2017-18 MIAA Thread

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
    Question for all MIAA fans does the conference set up the number of games allowed against NAIA and smaller division teams seams like a lot of teams are cherry picking that's why this win is especially impressive.
    Teams are permitted a maximum of 26 regular season games (with some allowances for exempt tournaments, etc), and to be eligible for the NCAA D2 tournament, teams must play a minimum of 22 games against Div. II teams. Of those 22, 18 must count as "in-region" games.

Games in conference tournament play do not count towards the overall game maximum, or the minimum 22/18 requirements.

So, for the MIAA, they get 19 games there that count towards the 22/18 requirements, meaning that to be eligible, only three of their final seven (or nine, depending if they are playing in an exempt tournament like a conference challenge the first weekend), have to be against other NCAA D2 schools. That allows schools to do a lot of stacking against non D2 teams to get home games.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      I feel like there is a bit of a miscommunication happening here. I won't speak for NSU4LIFE or simple (mostly because I think both of them would smack me in the head if I tried), but I feel like most of the NSIC posters are considering it in terms of utter dominance vs. high competitiveness.

I don't think very many people here doubt that Northwest will consistently be in the running for a regional spot with or without Pitts, as long as McCollum is at Northwest.

The bigger question is whether they will ever be back to the level of dominance they have been at during Pitts's time here. To be clear, I recognize that is essentially the entire point of your post, I'm just reframing it slightly for the sake of conversation. The NSIC crowd is saying you guys might always be solid, but it's easier to fall off than you'd think, even with strong recent success.

That being said, I think Northwest will probably always be a top two or three team in the conference as long as McCollum around.

Regarding the, "Just ask Winona fans" argument, I kind of look at it a little bit the opposite way. Several fans, primarily a couple of Winona fans, used to blast Augie for not winning a national championship or two when Cody Schilling was playing. The argument was made that he was the best player Augie would ever have, and it was a wasted opportunity. While I don't disagree that it would have been great to achieve more national success during Cody's time at Augie, it was only a few years later that we had not one, but two players who went above and beyond what Cody accomplished (both team-wise and as individual players) and helped the Vikes win a National Championship. Admittedly, it's really hard to imagine a player at the D2 level better than Pitts for 2-4 years, but unlike NSU4LIFE and simple, I'm not totally ready to dismiss it as impossible.

Bottom line is I agree with you completely. Northwest is going to continue to be really good. It will be amazing and depressing for non-NWMSU fans if they manage to be equal to or better than the last couple of years of success they have achieved with Pitts on their roster.
      Good post... I didn't feel like anything said was a knock towards the Northwest program, but rather a comment on how good Pitts is. He's an amazing talent at this level and a great find for Northwest. He definitely helps to raise this team to a championship caliber level for sure. I will say he's got a pretty good supporting cast though too... when Witthus is your 3rd or 4th option, you've got a pretty good team. Pitts had an off night yesterday, 4-18 from the field, yet they still beat up a really good team. Yes, I realize he does more than just score, but there are guys on this team that can play. Whether or not they can repeat... we'll see... It's tough, one bad game at the wrong time and it's over, but they have as good a chance as anyone.

I agree with NWHoops about McCollum and the Bearcats staying relevant as long as he's there, just because of the way he gets them to buy in to playing defense. They defend as well as anyone in the country night in and night out and that will always be a focus as long as he's the man in charge. I also feel like with Ben and Austin being young guys and former players, that they relate well and that has to help when recruiting... they've got a good thing going in Maryville right now, and yes we should be enjoying it while it lasts.

Comment

• Comment

Agreed. If Ben would end up leaving, and depending on whether or not going with him is a better job, Austin would almost have to be in line to take over. He's worked under both Tapp and Ben, so I think the formula would remain the same. If works out that way, great... unfortunately, I could see Austin leaving for a HC job before Ben moves on too. Northwest has had a really good run of point guards, with Preston, Harrington, Fleming, Parker, Cooper, and I'm sure I left somebody out, but Pitts is pretty special even in that group. I've heard good things about the redshirt freshman we have now too, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Obviously, even with all those great former players and coaches, the success of the last few years is unprecedented at Northwest... Bearcat basketball was always an afterthought to the football program. I felt like Tapp didn't always get the appreciation maybe he deserved because of that. Football is still the big deal, but the basketball program just feels different within the community... I guess winning a NC will do that.

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
            Final NWMSU 70
            LMU 56
            LMU was averaging 101.8 pts a game and scored 156 pts last week.
            Very impressive win.
            Not taking anything away from LMU but that's more of a statement of how bad their competition was versus how good they actually are. I don't know that I would go "very impressive win".
            Go Hounds!
            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
            Cyclone Power
            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Gorilla John 92 View Post
              Hmm...if it does it may be only a year. Pitts was hurt one year and received a redshirt if my memory is correct with this being his 5th year at NW. A friend of mine who really knows basketball said it like this; "They will still be good but players like Pitts don't come around that often. He runs the show and the ball goes through him all the time so they are going to miss Pitts more than you think. He's willing to give the ball up as he knows if the shot is not there, they will give it back to him."" As a Mules fan, I hope my friend is correct.
              Diego Bernard...
              Go Hounds!
              B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
              Cyclone Power
              ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                Diego Bernard...
                Yes everyone in the league offered him. Heard great things about Trevor Hudgins as well..

Comment

Originally posted by hoopster View Post
                  Yes everyone in the league offered him. Heard great things about Trevor Hudgins as well..
                  If Bernard lives up to hype, he'll be mentioned with others above.
                  Go Hounds!
                  B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                  Cyclone Power
                  ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                    Not taking anything away from LMU but that's more of a statement of how bad their competition was versus how good they actually are. I don't know that I would go "very impressive win".
                    Program was ranked 4th in the country and has been to two straight final fours, including a championship game appearance. Forget the stats, it's an impressive win regardless of how it was accomplished. Even more impressive considering how thorough of a win it was.

Comment

• Comment

Northwest 40 Simpson College 26 at the half in Maryville. NW was behind 22-20 before ending the half on a 20-4 run. SC has 0 fouls at the half and NW only had 2 fouls.

Comment

Final NW 85 SC 43. Strange stat....each team only had 4 fouls in the game.
                          Welty was 6-9 from 3 pt range

Comment

Northwest will beat the Missouri Southern team that I just witnessed tonight by at least 30. Northwest will want to exact revenge for last year's loss in Joplin, and tonight's Missouri Southern team showed no effort or desire. It's gonna be bad next Thursday, with Northwest continuing to roll towards an undefeated season.

Comment

NW/UCM games postponed til Monday, 15th at 1:30 & 3:30.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
                                NW/UCM games postponed til Monday, 15th at 1:30 & 3:30.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X