Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Central Regional Talk

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

    I get the reaction of both fan bases: Martin does not get called for as many fouls as he deserves (I wonder if he's the second coming of Mahatma Gandhi, because for all the violence that occurs around him he's apparently rarely guilty of it himself). He probably also gets fouled more than opponents get whistled.

    I don't get booing him on the all-tournament team, though, unless there's more to the story. That just seems petty, especially after the Bearcats won the game.
    Classic line. I applaud you for it.

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by Brandon View Post

      Speaking of that. It's hilarious to read NW fans complain about Cam Martin not being called for fouls only to follow that up and read Southern fans complaining that he gets fouled on every possession. Southern fans are pretty peeved about the crowd booing Martin on the all-tournament selection.
      I had already left the arena, so I didn't see/hear any of that... obviously, booing his selection was silly, but I doubt there would be anyone that would say he didn't deserve to be on the all tournament team, or the all-conference team, or feel like him being in the running for the CPOY was unjustified. He's a great player. MoSo has become Northwest's biggest basketball rival and has repeatedly given us good games and/or knocked us off our perch over the last several years... he's the biggest (literally and figuratively) star on that team. He's the villain representing the dark side....He's a BIG deal, and he gives us fits. We don't match up well with him, and he knows it and bullies us around the court. Right or wrong, booing him could also be a taken as a sign of respect in the fact that Bearcat fans care enough about him to even do it. He's a stud, and dealing with him 4 times in a month is brutal... go Northern!

      I say that in jest... if we would lose, personally, I'd want to see MoSo win it all... I just don't want to have to play them again.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

        I get the reaction of both fan bases: Martin does not get called for as many fouls as he deserves (I wonder if he's the second coming of Mahatma Gandhi, because for all the violence that occurs around him he's apparently rarely guilty of it himself). He probably also gets fouled more than opponents get whistled.

        I don't get booing him on the all-tournament team, though, unless there's more to the story. That just seems petty, especially after the Bearcats won the game.
        I wasn't there so my only guess is that it has to do with a flagrant foul he picked up in the game. Who knows?

        Comment


        • #79
          In addition, the head-to-head games we are talking were the first two games with a new head coach and 800 miles from home. But let's go ahead and take a couple games from November as more important than what the Wolves have put together in March. SMH.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by laker View Post

            Is this the same Cam Martin who massacred my Mavs last year in Mankato for 49 points in an OT win? I suppose I should have been booing him for beating my team, but my jaw had dropped so far because of his total domination prevented me from doing so. Mister Wizard can vouch for me on this.
            The more knowledgeable fans can see through their bias and recognize (and appreciate) talent. Everyone in the arena should have been applauding the five players named to the all-tourney team, just as Southern fans were doing for Bernard, Hawkins, and Hudgins.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Brandon View Post

              I wasn't there so my only guess is that it has to do with a flagrant foul he picked up in the game. Who knows?
              Not sure what game you were watching, but Martin didn’t get a flagrant foul. On the other hand, he was hacked and shoved and beat up a ton more than Hawkins who drew at least two fouls from defenders on his backside.

              Martin is STRONG, and because of that the refs are going to allow the more physical play against him. And he certainly uses his strength to bully his way around, especially on the offensive end. There’s just a ton of contact every possession. Sometimes it goes uncalled, many times the defender gets whistled, and Cam gets called for some offensive fouls too.

              I get it that opposing teams hate him. But I’d like to think that’s more because it’s so hard to stop him.

              He’s the kind of guy that a fan says, “man I’m glad he’s on OUR team.”

              (by the way, I’ve had personal conversations with him off the court - very polite and respectful, very well-spoken. Far from the monster some fans seem to think he is)

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                I wasn't there so my only guess is that it has to do with a flagrant foul he picked up in the game. Who knows?
                Martin's F1 foul for the elbow was against Rogers on Sat night.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Martin depends on Refs letting him bull his way backwards through a defender that’s already set and in getting away with his numerous travels. He fouled out with only 12 pts vs RSU but only had 3 fouls called/2 travels called vs NW. Part of the booing was a reaction to the Refs imo(esp when Martin flattened a clearly set Dreamer late in the game with no charge called.)

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Probably flip of coin as to whether umd deserved the 8 seed. Nsic being down a bit this year likely didn’t help umd. Nsic playing a lot of freshman and sophomores. Look for league to be much improved in next year or two.

                    42 teams in the central region. Curious if anyone familiar with how many teams in some of the other regions? Heard rumors that some other regions have less overall teams.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post

                      On the other hand, he was hacked and shoved and beat up a ton more than Hawkins who drew at least two fouls from defenders on his backside.
                      I will agree with this... I was frustrated that for about 3-4 minutes mid to late second half the officials completely changed the way they had called the game for the 30+ minutes prior. It seemed like 5 or 6 trips in a row were interrupted with touch fouls in an otherwise "let em play" game. Lambert got a couple of ticky tack fouls that were ridiculous compared to what had been going on, and I remember Welty picked up a cheap one getting through a screen during that same stretch... I think we had another one in there too (maybe a reach that didn't alter the dribble?)... it was just like, what? That's not to say that none of those could have been whistled or called fouls, but it was a complete abandonment of the way they had called the rest of the game... both coaches were unhappy with their palms to the air.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post
                        In addition, the head-to-head games we are talking were the first two games with a new head coach and 800 miles from home. But let's go ahead and take a couple games from November as more important than what the Wolves have put together in March. SMH.
                        I haven't bothered to read the selection criteria this year but I know in the past (and I doubt it's changed) winning a conference tournament is not listed. The wins and the opponents played matter but not the tournament championship. Head-to-head has always been listed as a tiebreaker but when the games were played was not. It doesn't matter if it's November or March.

                        The spreadsheet posted by schnautza shows that Northern has the better record, PI & regional record. The GAC school have the better OW%, OOW%, ranked record and RPI. My guess is the committee didn't think Northern had separated themselves from the GAC schools and used the tiebreaker.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                          Martin depends on Refs letting him bull his way backwards through a defender that’s already set and in getting away with his numerous travels. He fouled out with only 12 pts vs RSU but only had 3 fouls called/2 travels called vs NW. Part of the booing was a reaction to the Refs imo(esp when Martin flattened a clearly set Dreamer late in the game with no charge called.)
                          The first one, I felt like Dreamer flopped a little... I mean Martin bullied into him like he does, but I thought Dreamer tried to oversell it and that's why he didn't get the call. The second one, I thought was bad... he went right through Dreamer to the basket, and I don't know what else he could have done, but end up on his back. Something has to be whistled there... block, charge... something. Which goes right in to my last post... for about 3-4 minutes after that, they started calling E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G! Just be consistent, so players know what to expect.
                          Last edited by Alfred33; 03-09-2020, 09:15 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by Randy View Post

                            I haven't bothered to read the selection criteria this year but I know in the past (and I doubt it's changed) winning a conference tournament is not listed. The wins and the opponents played matter but not the tournament championship. Head-to-head has always been listed as a tiebreaker but when the games were played was not. It doesn't matter if it's November or March.

                            The spreadsheet posted by schnautza shows that Northern has the better record, PI & regional record. The GAC school have the better OW%, OOW%, ranked record and RPI. My guess is the committee didn't think Northern had separated themselves from the GAC schools and used the tiebreaker.
                            Just out of curiosity, does anyone think that the NSIC having 16 teams hurts them for the SOS/OW%, especially in a down year? In Northern's case, they were forced to play UMary, Crookston, Minot, St Cloud, and Bemidji State twice each being that they're in the North of the conference. All those teams are below .500 and account for 10 of Northern's wins. I know the GAC has 12 teams, but didn't look as to how many times each team plays each other in conference.

                            It feels like the top part of the conference is competitive and "looks" the same record-wise as the GAC, but wondering if the large conference and volume of playing bad conference teams brings them down?

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              I was at the game, stayed thru the post game festivities, yes there was booing, it wasn't most of the fans, but it could be heard pretty easily, we all have ignorant fans and it was embarrassing to hear that...I yelled at the fans around me to stop it, but hey I'm only one person! :D Perhaps they should bring the officials out for the post-game festivities so we can all boo them!!! :D

                              Cam is an excellent offensive player, he's physical and NW has NOBODY that is physical enough to really impact his game. If the refs are going to let me play that way, I'd play that way too. The one play I was upset about looked like Cam elbowed Dreamer in the neck or face knocking him down hard and there was no call. That could be from the more of a flop earlier Dreamer did, so he didn't get that call...that one should have been looked at on the monitor.

                              MoSo fans can't have it both ways...allowing him to be that physical and then complaining when the D is being physical right back...don't be *****ing about the lack of calls, he gets more calls his way than go against him...what he had 2 walks and 3 fouls...how many fouls did Waters and Dreamer have, plus a couple more when players tried to play some help D on him.

                              Officiating was all over the place...you can be bad as long as you're consistently bad, they were not consistent at all. Players have no idea how they can play in that type of situation.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                                42 teams in the central region. Curious if anyone familiar with how many teams in some of the other regions? Heard rumors that some other regions have less overall teams.
                                OK- bear with me here, I'm going on some info from last year. I also may have missed where a school has women's but not men's basketball like in the Conference Carolinas with Converse and the GMAC with Ursuline. There also could be some teams who moved conferences so this is basic.

                                Atlantic: 44
                                CIAA 12, MEC 12, PSAC 18- plus two independents in Bluefield State and Salem International.

                                Central: 42
                                GAC 12, MIAA 14, NSIC 16

                                East: 38
                                CACC 14, East Coast 10, Northeast 10 14

                                Midwest: 38
                                GLIAC 12, GVLC 13, GMAC 12 men's, 13 women's plus independent Oakland City

                                South:42
                                Gulf South 13, SIAC 15, Sunshine State 11 plus 3 independent Puerto Rico schools.

                                South Central: 34
                                Lone Star 19, RMAC 15. The Heartland is no longer.

                                Southeast: 35
                                Conference Carolinas 10 men's, 11 women's, Peach Belt 12, SAC 13

                                West: 34
                                CCAA 12, GNAC 10, Pacific West 12

                                There are also six independents listed. I'm not sure who goes where. There are three Puerto Rico school, Bluefield State and Salem International both in West Virginia and Oakland City in Indiana. Someone can help us out here. The problem is that the numbers will never be even because you don't want to split up a conference.

                                Edit- those six have now been included.


                                Last edited by laker; 03-09-2020, 10:20 AM.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X