Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offseason Coaching Carousel

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Henderson to move up to head coach at SDSU. So Sather stays at Northern?

https://gojacks.com/news/2019/3/27/h...asketball.aspx
    I would be very surprised if Sather ever goes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      I would be very surprised if Sather ever goes anywhere.
      Even though satther has good situation, he just like virtually every d2 coach in country would accept a QUALITY d1 head coaching opportunitiy in two seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
        Even though satther has good situation, he just like virtually every d2 coach in country would accept a QUALITY d1 head coaching opportunitiy in two seconds.
        If they are looking for it....then yes

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          SDSU Assistant and former Wayne State Wildcat Eric Henderson is the new HC

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...733267968?s=19
          Wow. Good for Hendo.

I've met very few people with more positive energy. I have certainly never been a Jacks fan, but I will have to reconsider that.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post
            Wow. Good for Hendo.

I've met very few people with more positive energy. I have certainly never been a Jacks fan, but I will have to reconsider that.
            I concur

Comment

Initially I was disappointed it wasn't Miles, but I think this was probably the right move to promote from within.

Comment

I was pushing that they give McCullom a look, primarily because he's a much better x and o's coach than TJ-- especially defense. There was also some board support for Doty. In the end, Henderson will probably allow them to hold on to some recruits that might have gone to UNLV. UNLV also pays SDSU close to a million for poaching Otz and I'm sure they can pay Henderson $250-300K and save a hundred or so there, so maybe some of that money can go to AJ in recognition of getting the Jacks women into the Sweet 16.
                Last edited by Grizzled LU; 03-27-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

If they are looking for it....then yes

Comment

Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Yeah, any coach is going to know that pay goes up as you "climb the ladder" however, Sather is absolutely a Don Meyer guy and probably one of the most similar people to Don Meyer through the years. Just going off the personality, I dont see him trying to go anywhere. Besides, with only 23 coaches in over 100 years and only four in the past 62 or 63 years, there is a history there and none of those coaches left for another coaching job. Paul would be the first.

Comment

Yeah, any coach is going to know that pay goes up as you "climb the ladder" however, Sather is absolutely a Don Meyer guy and probably one of the most similar people to Don Meyer through the years. Just going off the personality, I dont see him trying to go anywhere. Besides, with only 23 coaches in over 100 years and only four in the past 62 or 63 years, there is a history there and none of those coaches left for another coaching job. Paul would be the first.
                        Sounds like you are due!

Comment

Well said

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                            Well said
                            Farmer Fran is always there to clear things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled LU View Post
                              I was pushing that they give McCullom a look, primarily because he's a much better x and o's coach than TJ-- especially defense. There was also some board support for Doty. In the end, Henderson will probably allow them to hold on to some recruits that might have gone to UNLV. UNLV also pays SDSU close to a million for poaching Otz and I'm sure they can pay Henderson $250-300K and save a hundred or so there, so maybe some of that money can go to AJ in recognition of getting the Jacks women into the Sweet 16.
                              Based on previous reactions when non-D1 coaches were being considered at SDSU, it in no way surprises me that there didn't appear to be much interest in either of those coaches.

I'm biased as an Augie fan, but I do think it's humorous that when Nagy left, a decent number of SDSU fans were dismissive--if not outright insulting--regarding Billeter any time his name came up on twitter or on the SDSU message board as a potential replacement. At that point he had just won a National Championship and had been named National Coach of the Year, overall had proven to be a consistent winner as a D2 head coach, and also had 10+ (12 or 13 maybe?) years of high major D1 assistant experience (Arizona, St. John's, Texas A&M, etc.). In general, a solid resume, and he was dismissed as probably not being able to coach or compete at a higher level because he's at a D2 school.

Frankly, McCollum has a very strong resume as well (though without any of the D1 experience at any level, assistant or head coach), and my guess is few people in the SDSU realm even considered him as an option, other than Zimmer including him on his list of 11 possible candidates to replace Otzelberger in the Argus.

Yet now SDSU fans have a coach (who seems to be a great guy based on what Wayne St. fans are saying, which is important) whose entire resume is grad assistant experience at a D2 school, several years coaching high school in Wisconsin, and 3 years of assisting at a low/mid-major (NDSU) and two years of assisting at another low/mid-major (SDSU). Essentially 5 total years of D1 coaching experience as an assistant at lower level schools, yet somehow the idea of a coach like McCollum, Billeter, Doty, or even Sather is laughable to many SDSU fans and boosters just because they are D2 or lower-level coaches.

Personally, I don't understand that mindset. I'm not complaining, as I'm perfectly content with Billeter still being here, especially with what it looks like we could be building toward with our young group at Augie. I would imagine NWMSU fans aren't crushed that McCollum wasn't offered the SDSU job. But if SDSU fans are most excited about Henderson because it means they might be able to keep Jenkins and the Grill kid, that's a pretty funny reason to be excited about a head coaching hire, particularly one with such limited experience. I'm by no means trying to imply that's the only reason Jackrabbit fans are excited, just saying that's a consistent attitude I've seen expressed online when Sell's decision to hire Henderson is being discussed. Either way, he must be a pretty highly regarded coach if he's that well-liked by the staffs he has been a part of.

Obviously he has the potential to be very successful at SDSU, and if he really is a good guy then I hope that's the case. I like when good people succeed. It's just funny to see the contrast in fan reactions when, on paper, I don't really see how some of these proven winners aren't even being given a first thought, let alone a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                                Based on previous reactions when non-D1 coaches were being considered at SDSU, it in no way surprises me that there didn't appear to be much interest in either of those coaches.

I'm biased as an Augie fan, but I do think it's humorous that when Nagy left, a decent number of SDSU fans were dismissive--if not outright insulting--regarding Billeter any time his name came up on twitter or on the SDSU message board as a potential replacement. At that point he had just won a National Championship and had been named National Coach of the Year, overall had proven to be a consistent winner as a D2 head coach, and also had 10+ (12 or 13 maybe?) years of high major D1 assistant experience (Arizona, St. John's, Texas A&M, etc.). In general, a solid resume, and he was dismissed as probably not being able to coach or compete at a higher level because he's at a D2 school.

Frankly, McCollum has a very strong resume as well (though without any of the D1 experience at any level, assistant or head coach), and my guess is few people in the SDSU realm even considered him as an option, other than Zimmer including him on his list of 11 possible candidates to replace Otzelberger in the Argus.

Yet now SDSU fans have a coach (who seems to be a great guy based on what Wayne St. fans are saying, which is important) whose entire resume is grad assistant experience at a D2 school, several years coaching high school in Wisconsin, and 3 years of assisting at a low/mid-major (NDSU) and two years of assisting at another low/mid-major (SDSU). Essentially 5 total years of D1 coaching experience as an assistant at lower level schools, yet somehow the idea of a coach like McCollum, Billeter, Doty, or even Sather is laughable to many SDSU fans and boosters just because they are D2 or lower-level coaches.

Personally, I don't understand that mindset. I'm not complaining, as I'm perfectly content with Billeter still being here, especially with what it looks like we could be building toward with our young group at Augie. I would imagine NWMSU fans aren't crushed that McCollum wasn't offered the SDSU job. But if SDSU fans are most excited about Henderson because it means they might be able to keep Jenkins and the Grill kid, that's a pretty funny reason to be excited about a head coaching hire, particularly one with such limited experience. I'm by no means trying to imply that's the only reason Jackrabbit fans are excited, just saying that's a consistent attitude I've seen expressed online when Sell's decision to hire Henderson is being discussed. Either way, he must be a pretty highly regarded coach if he's that well-liked by the staffs he has been a part of.

Obviously he has the potential to be very successful at SDSU, and if he really is a good guy then I hope that's the case. I like when good people succeed. It's just funny to see the contrast in fan reactions when, on paper, I don't really see how some of these proven winners aren't even being given a first thought, let alone a second thought.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X