Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Offseason Coaching Carousel

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    There does seem to be a youth movement going on for coaches at all different levels and different sports around the country...not sure that necessarily helps someone like Billeter, however.
    I definitely don't disagree with that. At the same time, you look at the D1 Sweet 16 right now, and it's not exactly an exclusively 35 and under crowd, so it's interesting to me how much of a priority gets placed on the need to hire a young up-and-comer by these mid-majors. Either way, it feels like both Doty and McCollum in particular fit that description (young up-and-comers) and aren't even being realistically considered in the conversation. At least at SDSU.

Comment

SDSU is a bit unique in that it has a very good program going in recent past so to hire from within and very quickly (to try to prevent too much disruption) makes most sense...similar to what ndsu football has continually done in past by hiring from within and with success due to overall program strength (not that SDSU basketball is at that level).
      Basketball too...every hire after Miles has been promoted from within.

And we all know how much SDSU aspires to be like the Mighty Bison....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Dont say that. I have always had nothing but a great experience with Jackrabbit athlete/friends back in the day and their fans...if they turn Bison it will be a complete flip. Bison fans are the worst, not all, but most.

Comment

I think some of the earlier dissing of D2 coaching talent on the Jacks board was from a Nagy quote that he had to completely relearn the coaching game upon transition. I don't even remember seeing that exact quote but lots of other board members did. I do remember Nagy saying that his best D2 teams would have probably won about 17 games a year in D1. That seemed realistic to me.

I have no real problems with TJ, but think his coaching skills were a bit lacking, that horrible protect Daum at any cost zone during his first year being a case in point.

I think the coaching change was primarily an attempt to hold on to DJJ and their recruits, although he must have been highly regarded by JS to get the nod.

I suspect that "we have to get a D1 experienced assistant" game was tried and they've learned to be a bit more open in the future.

I see a fair amount of Lindenwood games, and the fan experience, while not being particularly pleasant, is no where as bad as my drives to WIU, ORU, or UMKC. On my first trip to WIU a decade ago, I drove around the campus asking students where Western Hall was and none of them could tell me. Thank god for Google maps now. Oral Roberts literally had about 200 in a 10,000 seat arena and yet reported the attendance at 3000. Must have been a lot of angels dancing on the head of pins occupying those other seats.

For the record, I believe that Augie would be a better fit than at least half of the Summit members and that some of the Jacks board members have been nouveau riche-- "we've moved to this McMansion, so stay out of our neighborhood" snots. However, they were more polite and treated their coach a lot better than what Otz is likely to find in Las Vegas.

Comment

Richman fortunate his team won summit tourney this year...not sure he was going to be back next year, but for, that tournament championship.

Comment

Richman fortunate his team won summit tourney this year...not sure he was going to be back next year, but for, that tournament championship.
                Exactly right. I figured he was a goner but no one in these parts cares about basketball, much less Bison basketball. Haha

Comment

The difference between Doty and Boschee and Ballard is that ESU was dead last in the MIAA the year before he took over, hadn't had a winning season since 2014 and twice missed the MIAA Tournament in that time. During that time Doty was winning three national championships at two different levels. This year the best player that was set to return for ESU somehow ended up at West Texas and Doty still had ESU wearing a white jersey in their first round game of the MIAA Tournament and then in the quarterfinals the Hornets played NWMSU closer than anyone else has in the post season so far.
                  By comparison:
                  Washburn was coming off a 20-10 season and had just about everyone coming back led by an All-American in Brady Skeens.
                  MSSU was 13-15 the year before he took over but only two years removed from a 22-8 season that included an NCAA Tourney berth that he was an associate head coach for.

This isn't meant to put down either of those guys because I really think they are both good coaches. Just trying to explain some of the fuss.

Comment

That seems like it would be a mistake. Winning percentage is right in the range of where Miles and Phillips both were, and he now has two Summit tournament championships in 5 years. What more do people want?

Comment

That seems like it would be a mistake. Winning percentage is right in the range of where Miles and Phillips both were, and he now has two Summit tournament championships in 5 years. What more do people want?

Comment

Time will tell but I have my doubts. They were often awful this season but got hot during tournament which is all it really takes. Kind of like AA basketball in SD. At one point you could be 0-18, go 1-1 in district, win the regional game and then win three at state to win a state title at 5-19. Never happened but regardless at the least could be 2-19 just to get to state.

They are young so could have something going but the few I have found that follow feel he is way over his head.

Comment

100% this.

Doty's tweets are super extra, a sampling:

-he claimed LeBron James "refuses to be coached" despite never coaching him and said an NBA team is not good enough with him as their #1 option
                          -claimed that assistants being promoted when the head coach takes a different job should be the norm at all levels

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                            100% this.

Doty's tweets are super extra, a sampling:

-he claimed LeBron James "refuses to be coached" despite never coaching him and said an NBA team is not good enough with him as their #1 option
                            -claimed that assistants being promoted when the head coach takes a different job should be the norm at all levels
                            Well, while I agree on Doty....he isn't exactly wrong, at least on the 1st part

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                              Well, while I agree on Doty....he isn't exactly wrong, at least on the 1st part
                              What is the first part? That LeBron "refuses to be coached"?

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                                What is the first part? That LeBron "refuses to be coached"?
                                Well yeah, it's kind of been commonplace for anyone who has a thought on Lebron for quite some time now. Also, even I tweet an opinion on Twitter, kind of what it is for. Doesnt mean I am an expert.

The assistant coach thing I can understand if you have a solid one and want to maybe keep from a big turnover on roster, but being an assistant doesnt mean you are qualified to be the head coach...THAT I can attest to, haha

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X