Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BackdoorCut View Post

I think Trevor would start for almost any high major in America and make them a lot better. He's the perfect point guard. The frustrating thing for teams playing NWMSU this year is how Trevor essentially controls the game. He almost never turns it over, if he is open there is no doubt the shot is going in. You have to account for him at all times which is why they are so good. There is a reason he never leaves the game, because if you take him out their offense doesn't create easy shots like normal because the defense has to be perfect when he is on the court. Ben knows this. Add in the fact he is an incredibly intelligent player and amazing passer and you have the perfect basketball player. I haven't seen many players do what he does except in the NBA. It was admirable of him to come back to NWMSU for this year because a lot of high majors could've used a guy like him.
    He'd definitely start for Missouri. Coming from a Mizzou fan, they're brutal on the offensive end... they have NO point guard and no shooters... Hudgins could kill two birds with one stone for them... He might even be their best player, but Cuonzo's style would probably ruin his game for all eternity, so I'm thankful he's not anywhere close to CoMo. lol

Comment

• As per World Herald Hawk hurt his knee in practice and was questionable for the game. That makes 30 pts/12 rebounds/6 assists even more impressive

Comment

• I think most top tier players in the top of D-2 can absolutely play at the D-1 level. Whether it is a Power 5 or a mid-major depends on the situation/style of play and the position that is played. Hawkins possesses a game that is so versatile that I thought he was a lock to be able to fit in to a good D-2 program. Cam Martin on the other hand is not very versatile and prolly went to a program that was too much of a stretch for him. I feel like he should have went to the Missouri Valley. I just didn't think his game would transition as well to the D-2 level. As far as Trevor goes, I am not sure on him. He is the best scoring point guard that I have ever seen. I think it is much harder to score from the point guard position at the D-1 level. So the question becomes, is Trevor a good enough playmaker and defender to make an impact at the D-1 level from the point guard position or is he primarily a scorer first. I know he is for NWMS but could he transition his game to the D-1 level. I think he could but I think he would have to play much differently where as Hawkins sort of plays the same. Inside/outside, able to guard multiple positions and crash the boards. That is kind of what he did for NWMS last year but he averages 13 and 7 vs 22 and 9 last year at NWMS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Btech#3 View Post
          I think most top tier players in the top of D-2 can absolutely play at the D-1 level. Whether it is a Power 5 or a mid-major depends on the situation/style of play and the position that is played. Hawkins possesses a game that is so versatile that I thought he was a lock to be able to fit in to a good D-2 program. Cam Martin on the other hand is not very versatile and prolly went to a program that was too much of a stretch for him. I feel like he should have went to the Missouri Valley. I just didn't think his game would transition as well to the D-2 level. As far as Trevor goes, I am not sure on him. He is the best scoring point guard that I have ever seen. I think it is much harder to score from the point guard position at the D-1 level. So the question becomes, is Trevor a good enough playmaker and defender to make an impact at the D-1 level from the point guard position or is he primarily a scorer first. I know he is for NWMS but could he transition his game to the D-1 level. I think he could but I think he would have to play much differently where as Hawkins sort of plays the same. Inside/outside, able to guard multiple positions and crash the boards. That is kind of what he did for NWMS last year but he averages 13 and 7 vs 22 and 9 last year at NWMS.
          I agree with pretty much everything you said... I don't know how Trevor would do against bigger more athletic guards night in and night out, although I do think he would be serviceable as a ball handler and he can knock down open shots at any level. He was pretty calm and collected and knocked down a ton of big shots when he played against Duke as a sophomore, so we have a little context, but one game doesn't tell an entire story of what may or may not be. My comment was just as much a shot at Mizzou as a tribute to Trevor... lol. They are hard to watch and they REALLY need a point guard. Half of the time, the guy they got trying to do it now initiates the offense with his back to the basket... It's like the little kids that dribble and always have their back to the defender to keep the ball away. Mizzou's "point guard" (I use that term loosely) is basically starting to back down his defender from the center circle, but instead of posting up, he's trying to make the first pass to the wing and start the offense.... it's embarrassing.

Comment

• Trevor is a special talent. I certainly wasn't wanting to underestimate him. He may very well be able to do about the same at the next level. Hawkins almost has and with less minutes you could argue that he is doing about the same per minute. The prognosticators will tell you that the bigs (4 men and 5 men) are where there is the most difference between D1 and D2. I think Hawkins' ability to play the 3 has helped him. He might be a little undersized at the 4 position. I think there is very little difference in the guard play except sometimes you have those 6'4" and 6'5" point guards that can really go at the D-1 level. We certainly don't see that at the D-2 level. I know Geiman had a lot of interest at the D-1 level but elected not to go into the portal. The rumor was that the likes of Wyoming, Bradley, UNLV and Drake inquired about him thru other methods (i.e. AAU coaches, HS coaches and etc.). I have no idea what he could have done at that level but he is a true point which some times is hard to find at any level.

Comment

I think most top tier players in the top of D-2 can absolutely play at the D-1 level. Whether it is a Power 5 or a mid-major depends on the situation/style of play and the position that is played. Hawkins possesses a game that is so versatile that I thought he was a lock to be able to fit in to a good D-2 program. Cam Martin on the other hand is not very versatile and prolly went to a program that was too much of a stretch for him. I feel like he should have went to the Missouri Valley. I just didn't think his game would transition as well to the D-2 level. As far as Trevor goes, I am not sure on him. He is the best scoring point guard that I have ever seen. I think it is much harder to score from the point guard position at the D-1 level. So the question becomes, is Trevor a good enough playmaker and defender to make an impact at the D-1 level from the point guard position or is he primarily a scorer first. I know he is for NWMS but could he transition his game to the D-1 level. I think he could but I think he would have to play much differently where as Hawkins sort of plays the same. Inside/outside, able to guard multiple positions and crash the boards. That is kind of what he did for NWMS last year but he averages 13 and 7 vs 22 and 9 last year at NWMS.
              I'm definitely not at Northwest fan. But Trevor HAS to score for them this year. He easily could be a facilitator at the next level and I think is a phenomenal passer as well as decision maker, we just haven't seen that as much because he doesn't have the same help around him this year. He is plenty athletic enough and is just such an intelligent player. Cam Martin transferred down from a low major to MOSO and it doesn't surprise me that he isn't playing for ku. He'd be fine at a Loyola Chicago or SLU.

Comment

Trevor is a special talent. I certainly wasn't wanting to underestimate him. He may very well be able to do about the same at the next level. Hawkins almost has and with less minutes you could argue that he is doing about the same per minute. The prognosticators will tell you that the bigs (4 men and 5 men) are where there is the most difference between D1 and D2. I think Hawkins' ability to play the 3 has helped him. He might be a little undersized at the 4 position. I think there is very little difference in the guard play except sometimes you have those 6'4" and 6'5" point guards that can really go at the D-1 level. We certainly don't see that at the D-2 level. I know Geiman had a lot of interest at the D-1 level but elected not to go into the portal. The rumor was that the likes of Wyoming, Bradley, UNLV and Drake inquired about him thru other methods (i.e. AAU coaches, HS coaches and etc.). I have no idea what he could have done at that level but he is a true point which some times is hard to find at any level.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                    Hawk had another good night 14 pt/12 rebounds as CU held off GU. Still hard to watch CU after watching NW for years.
                    Georgetown went on a 10-0 scoring spree late in the game to cut what was once an original Creighton 20+ point lead down to 6. As NWFanatic noted about Hawkin's lack of possessions above, it was great the announcers kept screaming for Creighton to get the ball to Hawkins as those late minutes and seconds were ticking off the clock. Hawkins did have some crucial defensive rebounds in those last minutes, as well as a really nice heads up crucial extra effort throwing a loose ball off a Georgetown player out of bounds to give the ball to Creighton late in the game. The link of the highlights of the game below is longer than usual showing all scoring plays and some of the crucial defensive plays. Great overall effort by Ryan Hawkins playing on a wrapped leg slowing him up a bit tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M6DrU7YJNE

Comment

• Comment

• Hawk had 25 pts/11 rebounds for his Big East leading 9th double-double as CU beat DePaul.

Comment

• Hawkins would be playing for another NC with NW instead of fighting for a shot at the NCAA tourney with Creighton if he would at stayed

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                            Hawkins would be playing for another NC with NW instead of fighting for a shot at the NCAA tourney with Creighton if he would at stayed
                            It's a question I've wondered about those that left the Wolves. It's their choice so I won't get on them for that, just seems crazy you'd be happy to leave to not play, be irrelevant or play on a bad team. Is what it is, but oh, what could have been.

Comment

• Hawk nearly had another double-double(17/9) as CU beat Marquette by 1

Comment

• Last edited by NWFanatic; 02-24-2022, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X