Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right ... impressive show by Hawkins tonight! Those two 3's he put up that you mentioned were down to the final tick on the shot clock ... CRAZY!

https://gocreighton.com/news/2022/2/...-at-uconn.aspx

Comment

Comment

I'm following Hawkins, as well, and absolutely seeing the same thing. CU players ... guards ... taking the ball into coverage in the lane and Hawkins open waiting for the ball ... yet, the shot still goes up with hands in their face. Are they getting tired of the coverage Hawkin's is getting? I hope that is a stupid comment, but sure seems to be a lot of shots going up in the lane under pressure by these young guards that don't seem to make a hell of a lot of sense when Hawk is waving at them open beyond the 3-pt arc. There's a ton of young talent on this CU team and HC Mac says Hawkin's experience and leadership has been a blessing for this young team. I'm sure all is good at CU, just seeing some of the same things you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by ZubCat81 View Post

I'm following Hawkins, as well, and absolutely seeing the same thing. CU players ... guards ... taking the ball into coverage in the lane and Hawkins open waiting for the ball ... yet, the shot still goes up with hands in their face. Are they getting tired of the coverage Hawkin's is getting? I hope that is a stupid comment, but sure seems to be a lot of shots going up in the lane under pressure by these young guards that don't seem to make a hell of a lot of sense when Hawk is waving at them open beyond the 3-pt arc. There's a ton of young talent on this CU team and HC Mac says Hawkin's experience and leadership has been a blessing for this young team. I'm sure all is good at CU, just seeing some of the same things you mentioned.

So, I watch pretty much all Creighton games, and have for years, even pre-McDermott. Their primary ball handlers are all freshmen this year, and the inexperience does show. Could they find Hawkins (and Kalkbrenner in the paint) more often? Absolutely. Would that be happening if Zegarowski had returned to run the point for his senior year? Of course.

Having said that Hawkins hasn't been a consistent outside shooter this year. Prior to his excellent performance against UConn he had been in a pretty brutal shooting slump. From 3 he was a combined 1 for 12 against Depaul, Xavier, and Butler. Shortly before that stretch he was shut out (zero points) at the Villanova debacle. Obviously, I hope he is back in form. I'm hoping the UConn game isn't an outlier because Creighton needs him to score, and in Big East play he isn't getting as many buckets in the paint that he got in non-conference. Opposing defenders in the Big East are a lot longer, for the most part, and the defensive help comes quickly.

Despite those reservations, it can certainly be argued that he is Creighton's most important player. He's a strong rebounder, is always in position defensively despite (relatively) limited quickness, passes well for a big guy, and seems to be an excellent teammate/leader. He's exactly what they needed this year...they just needed a couple more experienced players of a similar mold because they are talented but sometimes look pretty lost on offense this year.

Comment

Originally posted by cat fan View Post

So, I watch pretty much all Creighton games, and have for years, even pre-McDermott. Their primary ball handlers are all freshmen this year, and the inexperience does show. Could they find Hawkins (and Kalkbrenner in the paint) more often? Absolutely. Would that be happening if Zegarowski had returned to run the point for his senior year? Of course.

Having said that Hawkins hasn't been a consistent outside shooter this year. Prior to his excellent performance against UConn he had been in a pretty brutal shooting slump. From 3 he was a combined 1 for 12 against Depaul, Xavier, and Butler. Shortly before that stretch he was shut out (zero points) at the Villanova debacle. Obviously, I hope he is back in form. I'm hoping the UConn game isn't an outlier because Creighton needs him to score, and in Big East play he isn't getting as many buckets in the paint that he got in non-conference. Opposing defenders in the Big East are a lot longer, for the most part, and the defensive help comes quickly.

Despite those reservations, it can certainly be argued that he is Creighton's most important player. He's a strong rebounder, is always in position defensively despite (relatively) limited quickness, passes well for a big guy, and seems to be an excellent teammate/leader. He's exactly what they needed this year...they just needed a couple more experienced players of a similar mold because they are talented but sometimes look pretty lost on offense this year.
            I feel like this is a very good assessment of his play from what I've seen. He's definitely been a little streaky offensively, but he always does the little things... rebounds, defends, helps, hustles. Sometimes he's out-athleted in ways you didn't see at the D2 level, but he rarely gets outworked. For NW fans, and of course Hawk fans, I think the view gets a bit slanted because we're watching Hawkins more than really watching Creighton or the game so to speak. Because of that, you notice every time he's open, whereas if you were really just watching the game, it might not feel that way.... That and you want your favorite player touching the ball. For me personally, everything he's done has been a huge surprise, and maybe a little eye opening to how good some of these players in D2 really are. In no part of my mind did I think he'd be average 32 minutes a game. I really thought he'd be a 10 to 15 minutes a game bench player to be honest, so the fact that he is their leading scorer and rebounder at this point in the season is just gravy and mind blowing to me. It's kind of awesome and hard not to be excited for him... it's fun to hear his and Northwest's story nearly every broadcast too.

Comment

I think Hawkins has performed really well considering that it is a big jump and he has only one year to learn the Creighton system and adjust to the competition. I think if he had two years in a system that he would be even better next year. Most transfers/1st year players have a little trouble adjusting and don't get comfortable until Feb and March. I think he had adjusted quicker than most and has been really fun to watch. He is an easy guy to root for because he is such a good teammate and plays so hard. He does all of the little things and you can tell is really loved by Coach McDermott. Once again, he is more fun to watch at Creighton than he was at NWMS. Definitely a Washburn perspective. :)

Comment

I really hope Parker Fox comes back from injury like he was prior... that dude is so explosive! After seeing the success Hawkins has had, I'm really interested to see what he can do too.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I feel like this is a very good assessment of his play from what I've seen. He's definitely been a little streaky offensively, but he always does the little things... rebounds, defends, helps, hustles. Sometimes he's out-athleted in ways you didn't see at the D2 level, but he rarely gets outworked. For NW fans, and of course Hawk fans, I think the view gets a bit slanted because we're watching Hawkins more than really watching Creighton or the game so to speak. Because of that, you notice every time he's open, whereas if you were really just watching the game, it might not feel that way.... That and you want your favorite player touching the ball. For me personally, everything he's done has been a huge surprise, and maybe a little eye opening to how good some of these players in D2 really are. In no part of my mind did I think he'd be average 32 minutes a game. I really thought he'd be a 10 to 15 minutes a game bench player to be honest, so the fact that he is their leading scorer and rebounder at this point in the season is just gravy and mind blowing to me. It's kind of awesome and hard not to be excited for him... it's fun to hear his and Northwest's story nearly every broadcast too.

Comment

What is this "objective" you speak of? :)

Comment

• I've said for a while that I thought there is not a huge difference between the better D2 players and low level D1. I think this is largely true, with the biggest difference between the 2 being athletic ability. Hawkins has obviously proven that D2 players can play at the D1 level, and he competing in one of the best conferences in the country. However, he was also one of the top 3 players in D2. He has the basketball IQ to play with anybody and he is big enough to hold his own, however you do sometimes see his athletic limitations in the Big East. I will be really curious to see if Parker is able to hold his own in the Big Ten next season. If he has lost much of his explosiveness he will struggle.

Mason Stark has seen mixed results for a Northern Arizona team that is not very good. He started a few games, but is now back to coming of the bench. Mason was able to get his shots off at the D2 level, but I imagine the increased athleticism has made that much more difficult and led to his lower shooting percentages. Kallman was a 4 year contributor at Northern and he doesn't see the court in Fargo. Andrew showed flashes of very good athleticism in Aberdeen, but not enough to play at the D1 level. Kevion Taylor was always a physical specimen in Winona and he is playing a lot at Valpo and appears to be putting up decent numbers.

The very best D2 players will always have a chance at greener pastures. In almost all cases it will be a choice between being a standout at the D2 level or a bench player at a larger school. Sometimes the allure of D1 will be too much, but I hope some of these players realize that D2 might be a better situation (except Hudgins, I wish he would make dagger 3s somewhere else).

Comment

• Hawkins had a decent day against Georgetown with 30 points, 12 rb, and 6 assists. Of the 30 points, 24 was from 8 3's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                          Hawkins had a decent day against Georgetown with 30 points, 12 rb, and 6 assists. Of the 30 points, 24 was from 8 3's.
                          Will be interesting to see how he follows up with that performance when Creighton faces Georgetown again in two days Monday nite ... makeup Covid game.

Comment

• Just logged into the performance by Hawkins scoring his 30 points knocking down eight 3-pt shots, as NWFanatic first mentioned, as well as a score off a nice offensive rebound. Again, this game replays two days later Monday nite, February 14. Honestly, when you're on you're on. Really good night for Ryan. Will be interesting to see what he brings next game and how Georgetown responds to him.

Here's the Creighton highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3Latx9tFk
                            Last edited by ZubCat81; 02-13-2022, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                              I've said for a while that I thought there is not a huge difference between the better D2 players and low level D1. I think this is largely true, with the biggest difference between the 2 being athletic ability.

The very best D2 players will always have a chance at greener pastures. In almost all cases it will be a choice between being a standout at the D2 level or a bench player at a larger school. Sometimes the allure of D1 will be too much, but I hope some of these players realize that D2 might be a better situation (except Hudgins, I wish he would make dagger 3s somewhere else).
                              I'm an Iowa St. fan. The 13-0 start has plummeted to a 3-9 slide in conference play. They are starving for a perimeter shooter and a post player who can score. I would have loved to see Trevor Hudgins there to take the pressure off Tyrese Hunter. His lack of experience as a true freshman starting point guard in the Big 12 has been a nightmare at times with costly turnovers and a perimeter shooting % that is dreadful. Trevor can handle the ball as well as any point guard in the country and his 3 point shot is deadly. The only knocks being size and perhaps quickness. Would be fun to see what Trevor could do at the next level.

Go Hounds!
                              B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                              Cyclone Power
                              ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

• Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

I'm an Iowa St. fan. The 13-0 start has plummeted to a 3-9 slide in conference play. They are starving for a perimeter shooter and a post player who can score. I would have loved to see Trevor Hudgins there to take the pressure off Tyrese Hunter. His lack of experience as a true freshman starting point guard in the Big 12 has been a nightmare at times with costly turnovers and a perimeter shooting % that is dreadful. Trevor can handle the ball as well as any point guard in the country and his 3 point shot is deadly. The only knocks being size and perhaps quickness. Would be fun to see what Trevor could do at the next level.
                                I think Trevor would start for almost any high major in America and make them a lot better. He's the perfect point guard. The frustrating thing for teams playing NWMSU this year is how Trevor essentially controls the game. He almost never turns it over, if he is open there is no doubt the shot is going in. You have to account for him at all times which is why they are so good. There is a reason he never leaves the game, because if you take him out their offense doesn't create easy shots like normal because the defense has to be perfect when he is on the court. Ben knows this. Add in the fact he is an incredibly intelligent player and amazing passer and you have the perfect basketball player. I haven't seen many players do what he does except in the NBA. It was admirable of him to come back to NWMSU for this year because a lot of high majors could've used a guy like him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X