Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Tournament First Round Scores - Quarterfinal Pairings

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    I selfishly like having the tournament in Sioux Falls. It's an easy trip (and relatively short trip) from Wayne and it's a great town with plenty to do. With that said, I really think the conference should have prevented Augie (or USF in the future) from playing that first round game at the Pentagon.

I also think the two Sioux Falls schools should have to pack up and stay in hotels like the other visiting teams do.
    Since the SF Arena books the home or outdoor show after the regular season ends, you could also say playing anywhere but the Arena robs AU of their home court when they host. They do not practice at the pentagon or play there in the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
      Since the SF Arena books the home or outdoor show after the regular season ends, you could also say playing anywhere but the Arena robs AU of their home court when they host. They do not practice at the pentagon or play there in the regular season.
      That's isn't the conferencesame fault. They decided to use the arena as their home court, if they don't book it they lose out.

For the most part I believe this is all just the principal of what happened.

That said, NSU hosts the state B boys every years and the BC is packed with 8,000 people. IF nsu ever hosted the regional and it was the same weekend, the regional games would likely be played in the old Civic Arena. Which is cool because to me that is the best arena in the state, but would only seat I think 3,500-4,000 and parking isn't great at all.

It wouldn't jive if NSU then practiced there after the NSIC tourney.

It is what it is, it doesn't really matter now, but again, it's the principal of it, the fact that it angered the NSIC and all the teams and the excuse from three AD was basically, we'll we have track practice.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
        How is conference tournament host decided in NSIC? Is it bid process?
        WSCSuperFan gave you a pretty good history. I do remember seeing in 2015 that the agreement between the NSIC and the Pentagon was extended through 2019 on a second three-year deal. Hard to see it move to another venue though, at least at this point.

Comment

Our radio guy said Wayne stopped at the pentagon for practice on it's way up to SCSU.
          I don't know if they did, but if so, shouldn't happen, IMO.

Comment

They could play at their on-campus arena, just choose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
              They could play at their on-campus arena, just choose not to.
              I agree with all of you.. when AU contracted with the SF arena they had to know the venue would be unavailable after the regular season and yes they could play at the cozy home court called the Elmen Center. So yeah AU is most likely trying to gain an advantage by using the pentagon. With the regionals at the Pentagon who can blame them!

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                That's isn't the conferencesame fault. They decided to use the arena as their home court, if they don't book it they lose out.

For the most part I believe this is all just the principal of what happened.

That said, NSU hosts the state B boys every years and the BC is packed with 8,000 people. IF nsu ever hosted the regional and it was the same weekend, the regional games would likely be played in the old Civic Arena. Which is cool because to me that is the best arena in the state, but would only seat I think 3,500-4,000 and parking isn't great at all.

It wouldn't jive if NSU then practiced there after the NSIC tourney.

It is what it is, it doesn't really matter now, but again, it's the principal of it, the fact that it angered the NSIC and all the teams and the excuse from three AD was basically, we'll we have track practice.
                Actually, the regional is designed to be hosted by the top seed, where the conference tournament is supposed to be at a neutral site. So, I think it would be completely on the up and up for a regional host to practice in an alternate arena that they were forced to use due to schedule conflicts since they are technically supposed to be hosting on their home floor.

Comment

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
                  Actually, the regional is designed to be hosted by the top seed, where the conference tournament is supposed to be at a neutral site. So, I think it would be completely on the up and up for a regional host to practice in an alternate arena that they were forced to use due to schedule conflicts since they are technically supposed to be hosting on their home floor.
                  Nice catch

Comment

Surprised that no one is complaining that MSU had a scrimmage game with NDSU at the Pentagon this year, Upper Iowa should be up in arms. As well , Wayne St. practiced there on their way to Moorhead, the Pentagon is very open to any NSIC team using the facility when available.

Comment

I understand that people are upset. I will be the first to acknowledge that if another school had done something similar, Augie fans would probably be some of the first on here cracking jokes about it. My guess is that it is most likely not going to happen again in the future based on the response it has gotten.

That being said, does anyone really think that the reason Augie won last night was due to having played one extra game and zero extra practices there? The way that game unfolded, I would be willing to argue that the Vikings would have won whether they were at the Pentagon, the Arena, or the Elmen Center.

Like I said, I get it. It just feels a little bit like people are reacting as if the Vikings had been playing every game there this season or something. Maybe you guys would argue that it is enough of a difference, and, if so, you have every right to think that. But I honestly don't believe that if the Vikings win the tournament, it will be because they played Bemidji State there on a Wednesday night in the opening round.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                        I understand that people are upset. I will be the first to acknowledge that if another school had done something similar, Augie fans would probably be some of the first on here cracking jokes about it. My guess is that it is most likely not going to happen again in the future based on the response it has gotten.

That being said, does anyone really think that the reason Augie won last night was due to having played one extra game and zero extra practices there? The way that game unfolded, I would be willing to argue that the Vikings would have won whether they were at the Pentagon, the Arena, or the Elmen Center.

Like I said, I get it. It just feels a little bit like people are reacting as if the Vikings had been playing every game there this season or something. Maybe you guys would argue that it is enough of a difference, and, if so, you have every right to think that. But I honestly don't believe that if the Vikings win the tournament, it will be because they played Bemidji State there on a Wednesday night in the opening round.
                        Augie played well enough to win no matter where the game was played yesterday. I think the thing is that Augie and USF already have an advantage(s) with the tourney being in Sioux Falls, why let them have another perceived advantage? In the end, not a real big deal, but I expect it won't happen again.

Comment

Just as my Colts didn't lose to the Patriots by 38 due to a flat ball, the Wolves didn't get a 24 point beatdown due to one extra game. Its just something bad, irresponsible, shady....whatever you want to call it that overshadows the fact of one team was prepare and one might as well have stayed home. Its over and done with idk what is to be accomplished by talking more about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis View Post
                            Surprised that no one is complaining that MSU had a scrimmage game with NDSU at the Pentagon this year, Upper Iowa should be up in arms. As well , Wayne St. practiced there on their way to Moorhead, the Pentagon is very open to any NSIC team using the facility when available.
                            This was going to be another point I was going to make. As far as I know, I would imagine any school that wanted to could try to figure out hosting their first round game there. It's not as if the folks at Augie called in secret favors behind closed doors and this was exposed as some big scandal when it finally got out. Again, I still understand why people are complaining about it, but it's not as if Augie did something illegal. Even NSU4LIFE's notion that it was "shady" is a stretch. Obviously it upset people, but it's not like it's one degree off of illegal. It's just that the teams who didn't host their first round games there (who could have if they'd really wanted to, I'd imagine) feel slighted.

Comment

This was going to be another point I was going to make. As far as I know, I would imagine any school that wanted to could try to figure out hosting their first round game there. It's not as if the folks at Augie called in secret favors behind closed doors and this was exposed as some big scandal when it finally got out. Again, I still understand why people are complaining about it, but it's not as if Augie did something illegal. Even NSU4LIFE's notion that it was "shady" is a stretch. Obviously it upset people, but it's not like it's one degree off of illegal. It's just that the teams who didn't host their first round games there (who could have if they'd really wanted to, I'd imagine) feel slighted.
                              It wasn't a notion, I was covering whatever anyone would think about this and likening it to the Deflate gate crap. Even when I post in support of you we can't get along.

Facepalm...I can say that now, it's in the dictionary

Comment

I have yet to see anybody say that playing the extra game in the pentagon mattered in last night's game. It's irresponsible it happened but Augie would have beat NSU on any court last night.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X