Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Men's Tournament

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    and Votava is a good ref. I like him. He had a bad night and the other two were bad. Normally I would put Votava in the good ref category.
    We need a sarcasm font up in here...

Comment

For the NSIC teams that advance to the regional, does finishing your league tourney nearly a week earlier than the MIAA and GAC help you or hurt you? There's the "time to heal" theory, but there's the "we were rusty" theory. Thoughts?

Only one other conference tourney in the land is already complete. Why doesn't the NSIC push their schedule back to the more common timeframe?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
        For the NSIC teams that advance to the regional, does finishing your league tourney nearly a week earlier than the MIAA and GAC help you or hurt you? There's the "time to heal" theory, but there's the "we were rusty" theory. Thoughts?

Only one other conference tourney in the land is already complete. Why doesn't the NSIC push their schedule back to the more common timeframe?
        I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Summit League hosting their conference tourney on Sioux FALLS this coming weekend but I have no idea

Comment

I think that the time off helps. Having games Wed-Sun-Mon-Tue is quite a grind. With that said, Moorhead might be the ones who get rusty. Or they may be more focused. It varies from team to team.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
            I'm sure it has a lot to do with the Summit League hosting their conference tourney on Sioux FALLS this coming weekend but I have no idea
            Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              I think that the time off helps. Having games Wed-Sun-Mon-Tue is quite a grind. With that said, Moorhead might be the ones who get rusty. Or they may be more focused. It varies from team to team.
              Accurate.

One of the teams it can help is Southwest, which has dealt with a lot of little injuries late in the year. And the minutes are piling up for a team that isn't very deep. Bruggeman averaged just 29 minutes this year, but has played 36+ minutes in 3 of the last 6 games over the past two weeks. Included in that stretch is 39 minutes at MSU two weeks ago, 49 minutes against Augie on Monday and 36 minutes last night against UIU.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                Accurate.

One of the teams it can help is Southwest, which has dealt with a lot of little injuries late in the year. And the minutes are piling up for a team that isn't very deep. Bruggeman averaged just 29 minutes this year, but has played 36+ minutes in 3 of the last 6 games over the past two weeks. Included in that stretch is 39 minutes at MSU two weeks ago, 49 minutes against Augie on Monday and 36 minutes last night against UIU.
                This is my theory too. If teams aren't ready to play and manage to get rusty due to 10-12 days off, that's the team and the coaching staff's fault for not keeping everyone mentally focused in my opinion. At this point, being able to rest a guy who is battling a lingering ankle sprain or sore back for 2-3 days dramatically outweighs the concerns of some of those players getting rusty.

That being said, I don't disagree with laker's assertion that Moorhead could be negative affected by having a full 16 days off. That is a pretty long time.

Personally, I think the rest would be more beneficial than harmful. Then again, I've never talked to an actual NSIC coach about it, so maybe they would argue otherwise.

Comment

The league is mandated to play the tourney that early so Augie can get those games in on their "home" floor. :)
                  Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

It does seem this has to do with the tournament being in Sioux Falls. The last time it was outside of Sioux Falls was 2013. The conference regular season finished up at the same time as now, but the first two rounds of the tournament were Wednesday and Saturday at higher seeds. Then the semis and finals were the following Friday and Saturday in Rochester. The championship was the day before the regional brackets were announced.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                      The league is mandated to play the tourney that early so Augie can get those games in on their "home" floor. :)
                      Sorry, couldn't resist.
                      That home floor sure helped both Sioux Falls men's teams this week.....

Comment

Accurate.

By this point in the year, unless dinged up, which most guys are. The minutes shouldn't matter. With all the Media timeouts guys should be able to go close to the whole game. I remember back during The Run WSU would only go 6-7 deep. And that usually meant subbing in for someone a minute before the media time out. The final time we were out in Massachusetts Quincy played 120 of the possible 120 minutes, averaged a double-double and was guarding some of the toughest guys on the floor. If not for Q we do not win a 2nd title.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUDieHard View Post
                          By this point in the year, unless dinged up, which most guys are. The minutes shouldn't matter. With all the Media timeouts guys should be able to go close to the whole game. I remember back during The Run WSU would only go 6-7 deep. And that usually meant subbing in for someone a minute before the media time out. The final time we were out in Massachusetts Quincy played 120 of the possible 120 minutes, averaged a double-double and was guarding some of the toughest guys on the floor. If not for Q we do not win a 2nd title.
                          Did they even have regular media timeouts back then? Up until a few years (5-7 years, maybe?) ago in most Augie games, the only media break in each half was the under-10 media timeout if I remember correctly.

Comment

That home floor sure helped both Sioux Falls men's teams this week.....
                            With that in mind, tell the rest of the coaches/fans in the NSIC to quit whining about it. :)

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                              Did they even have regular media timeouts back then? Up until a few years (5-7 years, maybe?) ago in most Augie games, the only media break in each half was the under-10 media timeout if I remember correctly.
                              Correct, the NSIC changed its media timeout rule a number of years ago. It used to be just one each half (under-10), but they changed it to three (under-15, under-10, under-5). I don't remember if that's the same as for NCAA Tournament games, or if they do media timeouts at 16, 12, 8 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUDieHard View Post
                                Agreed. Bruggeman isn't going to come off the floor very much in the Regional if at all

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X