Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New bellarmine thread

Adam has played with significant injuries the past 2 years. All got worse as the season progressed but unless somebody else steps up Adam at 70% is the best option so he can't rest and rehab. Alex and Ben are the guys capable of taking that role and they just need to step up. Last year Adam played the game against Findlay in the regional with 1 arm. We have 8 kids who can make that difference any night so let's win by committee and rest Adam a little more.

Comment

I know, from time to time, other sports will pop up here in the hoops section; so, in case any fellow Bellarmine fans are like me and follow the Knights' D-I lacrosse program, goalie Jordan Dondoyano leads the nation in saves-per-game. Especially timely as the lax'ers are off to a bit of a rough start under new coach Jim Mitchell, who I think is a good hire and will right the ship.

Comment

So does BU get the #1 seed and the regional if we win the GLVC tournament?

Comment

• New bellarmine thread

If we win the tournament, either we or someone else has beaten Lewis, giving them 5 losses and an embarrassing home blowout loss.

That will leave us with a stronger in-region record with only 4 losses, all coming against NCAA tournament teams. So yes, I think if we win the tournament we will get the #1 seed and hosting rights. Best case scenario is we both make to the final and we put a beat-down on them like we did at home against Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
            So does BU get the #1 seed and the regional if we win the GLVC tournament?
            Not sure. I think if BU wins the GLVC and beats Lewis in the process, there is a good argument. I just think the committee makes up its mind before then. Now if Lewis were to lose to Truman and BU wins the GLVC beating at least two ranked teams in the process, BU would have a really good argument as BU would have as many ranked wins as Lewis plus no embarrassing defeats. I want to say there is hope but I think if Lewis beats Truman, they will have the #1 seed.

Comment

Cincy television station posted a nice piece about BU signee Bash Wieland:
              https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...ose-around-him

Comment

Originally posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
                Cincy television station posted a nice piece about BU signee Bash Wieland:
                https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...ose-around-him
                Sounds like the model BU recruit. Can't wait to see him play for the Knights!

Comment

Despite the game going into overtime, I thought BU played relatively well. Rockhurst is no pushover, and I give them quite a bit of credit. Rockhurst is going to be a serious contender in the GLVC for at least the next two seasons. BU made a terrible turnover in regulation and Rockhurst hit a very tough shot to force overtime. I still am surprised that more teams do not at least try to full court press Bellarmine. Fleming made that turnover, but I blame Eberhard for passing the ball backwards to him, where he was surrounded. I love Fleming, but the truth is that he is not a great ball handler, specifically he is not a great dribbler. Bellarmine does not have a Davis or Whitehead, or even a Jarek Coles on this team. Chitty is the best ball handler, but he is prone to bad decision making. I think this is one of the bigger weaknesses for BU, but most teams have not attempted to exploit it. It seems that there is no such thing as teams that occasionally press based on the opposition. You are either a team that presses all the time (Nova, WLU, Fairmont) or not at all.

I thought Ben Weyer and Daniel Ramser played great last night. Adam missed several easy shots, but I did think he looked like he was moving better.

Did C.C. aggravate his ankle injury? He only played 18 minutes last night or was that just a product of foul trouble?
                  Last edited by Knightmoves; 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I assume AE's injury was between the S&T and USI game (or during USI?)

Here's a look at BU's average stats for all games before USI on 2/2 and all games including/after that game. I'm also aware that quality of opponents may have been a factor here, as the late schedule was very difficult.

(Category: pre-injury/post-injury)
                    PPG: 84.4/77.2

FG made: 30.3/27.6
                    FG attempted: 53.7/52.9
                    FG%: 56.4/52.0

3FG made: 6.8/7.5
                    3FG attempted: 17.8/21.8
                    3FG%: 38.9/35.5

FT made: 17.1/14.5
                    FT attempted: 21.6/17.5
                    FT%: 78.8/81.8

OffRb: 7.6/6.9
                    DefRb: 25.3/23.3
                    TotRb: 32.9/30.2

Fouls: 16.2/17.6
                    A: 19.8/15.7
                    TO: 10.8/12.2
                    Blk: 3.4/3.0
                    Stl: 7.16/7.20
                    Last edited by schnautza; 03-08-2019, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Your analysis is instructive, Schnautza. Maybe the most telling stat is the fact the BU's 3pt attempts have risen dramatically. For this team, that is not an improvement. It has been obvious that the scoring punch in the paint is not nearly as good. The ball gets kicked out for threes or never gets into the post. I find it frustrating because a fair amount of the time, Cook, Weyer, or Corbett are simply not trying to score on contested shots around the basket, even though they are quite capable of scoring.

The word is out in the league that the way to stop BU is to push and shove in the post, and I believe that teams have noticibly done just that.

I would say as a caveat to these stats, the SOS is probably higher for the games after AE's injury.

Comment

for a benchmark comparison, here's USI's stats over the same time periods. The back half of the schedule is identical for BU and USI except for the last game, and I do believe the 2nd half has been tougher for both teams.

(Category: pre-injury/post-injury)
                        PPG: 81.8/85.6

FG made: 28.3/29.6
                        FG attempted: 59.8/59.2
                        FG%: 47.3/50.1

3FG made: 7.8/8.8
                        3FG attempted: 19.6/20.9
                        3FG%: 38.4/42.0

FT made: 17.5/17.6
                        FT attempted: 23.9/21.2
                        FT%: 72.7/82.0

OffRb: 10.9/11.5
                        DefRb: 27.7/25.8
                        TotRb: 38.6/37.3

Fouls: 17.3/17.0
                        A: 15.4/14.7
                        TO: 12.0/11.9
                        Blk: 3.3/2.4
                        Stl: 6.3/5.4

Comment

• In my opinion, with the #1 seed Lewis and #3 seed Findley both losing today and the Bellarmine victory against the #4 seed Indy, a win tomorrow vs Drury will get them the #1 seed. Stronger in-region record and best overall record. DII seeding is very straightforward and based on objective measures not subjective opinions of a committee.

Comment

Lewis will be #1 seed...

Comment

A very good game today, except a five or six minute stretch in 2nd half. Defense was very good by both teams. Some on the USI board may disagree, but these two teams played well, mostly on the defensive side. I don't think there is any better defense played in the region.

Daniel Ramser is the leader and mvp of this team now. He did a tremendous job on Stein and took it to him on the offensive side. With Eberhard hurting, Stein is the best player in the region hands down.

Comment

Really good to see other players stepping up on a day when AE is having his worst game of the year (in my opinion). There was a point in the second half when I found myself saying Scotty needs to take him out, he's hurting our chances. Never in my wildest imagination would have I predicted years ago when Daniel Ramser came on campus as a walk-on freshman that he would turn out to be a player this valuable to the team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X