Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we have football in the fall?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Remember the study that Majjor media oultets cited in attacking trumps suggestion of hydroxychloroquine as putting patients’ lives at risk? Well that study was withdrawn From journal review after troubling “irregularities” were found in the study‘s design, which was done by an odd collection of authors.

    now we have a study by an actual epidemiologist, a full professor at yale school of medicine. He thinks this same drug could save 100,000 lives A year. Illustrates that misinformation and lack of due diligence in reporting is rampant In today’s agenda based biased Reporting to a twiitter world.

    here is article:
    https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/
    You also fail to mention that the study is not about hydroxy chloroquine alone, but combined with azithromycin. So you yourself can be characterized as spreading misinformation.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

      You also fail to mention that the study is not about hydroxy chloroquine alone, but combined with azithromycin. So you yourself can be characterized as spreading misinformation.
      I was thinking the same thing.

      HCQ alone does not actually appear to have much, if any, benefit on its own. In addition, there are three different combinations of drugs mentioned between the studies here. To compare other countries to the US is also tough due to the, we'll call them medical issues, that are more common in the US as well as the lack of universal healthcare which can lead individuals here to put off going to the doctor until they are into the pneumonia like stage of the virus. (If you disagree with this then you've not dealt with the stress of not having insurance and having to decide when your health was worth the bill you knew was coming) This stage appears to not be treatable with any of the combination of drugs mentioned. The variables among the studies mentioned make it tough to take much from them as a whole, but it is still very early in the game and it will be interesting to see where science takes us.

      "Each piece of evidence, contained in each study, must be carefully considered and not dismissed because in an ideal world such evidence would fall in a lower part of the evidence-quality triangle."

      This was a good read overall, I hope everyone actually looks at the full study rather than the rather simplified article in the link provided.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Remember the study that Majjor media oultets cited in attacking trumps suggestion of hydroxychloroquine as putting patients’ lives at risk? Well that study was withdrawn From journal review after troubling “irregularities” were found in the study‘s design, which was done by an odd collection of authors.

        now we have a study by an actual epidemiologist, a full professor at yale school of medicine. He thinks this same drug could save 100,000 lives A year. Illustrates that misinformation and lack of due diligence in reporting is rampant In today’s agenda based biased Reporting to a twiitter world.

        here is article:
        https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/
        Henry Ford (hospital) in Detroit also found a 50% REDUCTION in deaths when treated with HC. This puts it as or even more effective than Remdisivir. They are also in a prophylactic study with front line workers. Both studies are well controlled with large cohort size. And yes, I think the treatment also includes zpac, but still the point is relevant.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Redwing View Post

          Henry Ford (hospital) in Detroit also found a 50% REDUCTION in deaths when treated with HC. This puts it as or even more effective than Remdisivir. They are also in a prophylactic study with front line workers. Both studies are well controlled with large cohort size. And yes, I think the treatment also includes zpac, but still the point is relevant.
          Any links to this for more details on this study? That's a pretty big deal, would love to read more.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Remember the study that Majjor media oultets cited in attacking trumps suggestion of hydroxychloroquine as putting patients’ lives at risk? Well that study was withdrawn From journal review after troubling “irregularities” were found in the study‘s design, which was done by an odd collection of authors.

            now we have a study by an actual epidemiologist, a full professor at yale school of medicine. He thinks this same drug could save 100,000 lives A year. Illustrates that misinformation and lack of due diligence in reporting is rampant In today’s agenda based biased Reporting to a twiitter world.

            here is article:
            https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/
            The summary CLEARLY states that the study was done using hydroxychloroquine in conjunction with 2 other drugs...So right off the bat you're part of the misinformation...Funny how you left that out of your post. It's pretty important...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

              You also fail to mention that the study is not about hydroxy chloroquine alone, but combined with azithromycin. So you yourself can be characterized as spreading misinformation.
              to be complete i should have mentioned the complete list of drugs. Point well taken.

              Correct me if i am wrong but azithromycin is an antibiotic that is commonly used as standard treatment for treating pneumonia and other bacterial infections. No big news here that it would also be used, as pneumonia often kills the patient.

              But disinformation? I was not citing a discredited study and claiming A federal official’s suggestion of POSSIBLE Benefits of hydroxychloroquine was going to kill patients. i would love to know who funded the discredited study.

              in the old days of woodward and bernstein, before journalism became the major of last resort In college, an editor would have required vetting by multiple respected scientists before making such an incendiary claim, knowing that a mistake could cost one their job. Now journalists just roll on to the next man bites dog story. Rarely an apology.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                to be complete i should have mentioned the complete list of drugs. Point well taken.

                Correct me if i am wrong but azithromycin is an antibiotic that is commonly used as standard treatment for treating pneumonia and other bacterial infections. No big news here that it would also be used, as pneumonia often kills the patient.

                But disinformation? I was not citing a discredited study and claiming A federal official’s suggestion of POSSIBLE Benefits of hydroxychloroquine was going to kill patients. i would love to know who funded the discredited study.

                in the old days of woodward and bernstein, before journalism became the major of last resort In college, an editor would have required vetting by multiple respected scientists before making such an incendiary claim, knowing that a mistake could cost one their job. Now journalists just roll on to the next man bites dog story. Rarely an apology.
                Not a discredited study. That is true. But there were many subtle points that wasn't pointed out, not the least of it was the use of antibiotics in conjunction with hydroxy chloroquine.

                Another thing was that the paper was an analysis of several actual studies and not the result of an actual experiment.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

                  Any links to this for more details on this study? That's a pretty big deal, would love to read more.
                  There are more, but this kind of proves many a point. This is a big deal, yet it's not been promoted much at all. I admit to a bit of higher interest in this since I know one of those that are conducting these trials.

                  https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...te/5365090002/

                  Comment


                  • West Virginia AD Shane Lyons sent a letter to the NCAA Board of Governors on behalf of the Football Oversight Committee, asking the BOG to wait to postpone/cancel fall championships. The matter could be decided Friday.

                    "We are requesting that the Board of Governors not make an immediate decision on the outcome of fall championships so that conferences and schools may have ample latitude to continue to evaluate the viability of playing football this fall."

                    Comment


                    • Per the Associated Press, a total of 1,290 NCAA football games have been canceled or postponed so far.

                      - 114 in FBS
                      - 263 FCS vs FCS games
                      - 315 in Division II
                      - 598 in Division III

                      Comment


                      • We may have to replace our love of sports with epidemiology and science. I can see the headlines in 2022: “USA rises from 27th to 1st in world in math and science during COVID quarantine!”

                        LOL

                        Seriously i enjoy the different perspectives.
                        that henry ford study was interesting in that they were able to screen out folks who might experience deadly side effects.

                        Comment


                        • The GPAC (NAIA) says it plans to move forward with the fall season on September 12th. The league is encouraging the NAIA to permit conferences to move forward with all fall sports at this time.

                          The NAIA's June guidelines gave the organization room to make a final decision based on a threshold goal of about half the participating institutions in each sport getting clearance from local authorities to return to competition (so ~47 of 95 football teams).

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                            We may have to replace our love of sports with epidemiology and science. I can see the headlines in 2022: “USA rises from 27th to 1st in world in math and science during COVID quarantine!”

                            LOL

                            Seriously i enjoy the different perspectives.
                            that henry ford study was interesting in that they were able to screen out folks who might experience deadly side effects.
                            Lol, reading these studies took me back to my psychology days in school.

                            Comment


                            • The Ohio Valley, Big South and Southland conferences are moving forward with plans for fall football.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                                The Ohio Valley, Big South and Southland conferences are moving forward with plans for fall football.
                                Everyone has plans...Plans change, sometimes daily...

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X