Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about sports funding. Do the schools that have sneaker sponsorship programs in place get $$$ if the sports are reduced or not played at all ?

Comment

Here's an interesting closure - University of Akron - Wayne College Millersburg will be closing at the end of the semester, but not necessarily because of the coronavirus.

UA - Millersburg is exclusively a PSEO campus for students in grades 7-12. They aren't necessarily closing due to lack of enrollment, however they are closing because logistics have changed which makes having a central campus obsolete. Wayne College plans to dissolve the campus to use the resources at high schools. This will help with traveling costs and scheduling issues the students have been having.

Here's the statement from the school as well as a news article:

https://wayne.uakron.edu/news-media/...a-6015f9ba9a3e

https://www.the-daily-record.com/new...sburg-location

Comment

Originally posted by UMary1 View Post
        https://www.catholicregister.org/hom...inancial-punch

A great read as many Catholic colleges are really feeling the pandemic. At this point it is a game of closing now or hoping variables get better sooner rather than later.

Holy Family College in Manitowoc, WI closed.
        While Mercyhurst (PSAC -Erie Pa) is closing and selling its Northeast campus (@ 15mi from main) and is moving those classes to Main),

Gannon U (PSAC Erie Pa) Is continuing its $20M funding of its Cyber-Security center.

Both are planning full operations come fall.

Oh! and both are Catholic private Universities.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post

While Mercyhurst (PSAC -Erie Pa) is closing and selling its Northeast campus (@ 15mi from main) and is moving those classes to Main),

Gannon U (PSAC Erie Pa) Is continuing its $20M funding of its Cyber-Security center.

Both are planning full operations come fall.

Oh! and both are Catholic private Universities.
          Considering that the tri-county (ERIE, CRAWFORD,WARREN) has had 170 cases or .003% of PA total, I'd say they are good to go unless a vacation surge this summer leads to a spike.

Comment

There's now a bipartisan bill aimed at giving laid-off workers a $4,000 skills training credit to be used through the end of 2021. The goal is to get more workers back into the workforce quicker.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/20/coro...gislation.html

It's interesting. On one hand, I like the idea. On the other hand, I think the suspension of in-person classes really hinders the effectiveness of skills training - you can't learn how to weld without actually welding, which requires being in a physical building with teachers and other students.

Based on the article though, the credit would apply to colleges and universities, so that may be a way to help reinvigorate them.

Comment

Not COVID related, but Concordia Portland, a non-football member of the GNAC ceased operations at the end of this term:

Update on recent active membership issues. [NCAA s]taff provided an update regarding the most recent merger discussions between the University of Alaska Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks. It was noted that the institutions are expected to continue to operate as two separate institutions through the 2021-22 academic year. Additionally, staff provided an update regarding recent news related to Concordia University Portland ceasing operations at the conclusion of the 2020 spring term.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The University of Alabama-Huntsville has discontinued their Division 1 hockey program, as well as their D2 tennis programs.

BSU and UAH had one of the more unique rivalries in college sports, IMO. Heck, the UAH hockey team by itself was one of the more intriguing programs.

I wonder if this will open up an opportunity for the mothership to elevate it's ACHA team to the NCAA.

Comment

An Alabama hockey team that actually won national championship was one of the most unusual fish out of water D2 stories of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                    The University of Alabama-Huntsville has discontinued their Division 1 hockey program, as well as their D2 tennis programs.

BSU and UAH had one of the more unique rivalries in college sports, IMO. Heck, the UAH hockey team by itself was one of the more intriguing programs.

I wonder if this will open up an opportunity for the mothership to elevate it's ACHA team to the NCAA.
                    Tuscaloosa doesn't exactly strike me as an attractive travel location for most of the NCAA D1 hockey powers, which are mainly centered around the Upper Midwest and Northeast. Unless you see another SEC school add varsity hockey (Missouri, maybe?), I don't see that happening.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Tuscaloosa doesn't exactly strike me as an attractive travel location for most of the NCAA D1 hockey powers, which are mainly centered around the Upper Midwest and Northeast. Unless you see another SEC school add varsity hockey (Missouri, maybe?), I don't see that happening.
                      Neither do I. Title IX poses a huge problem if you aren't starting a women's program to match it. Hockey is a tremendously expensive sport. You need a rink for games and practices- those are expensive to run.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Actually, Bama moved up to D1 to align themselves for a push into the NCAA. They seem to draw well in Pelham for the Iron Cup, which is impressive given it's a town smaller than Bemidji. All it would really take is a large donor or two.

Georgia was the one I was thinking of though. As far as I'm aware they're still D3, however having an on-campus arena puts them ahead of every other school in the south. Not even ASU has that luxury. EDIT: Yet.

Missouri would be a strong candidate too given their fan support.
                        Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-22-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Neither do I. Title IX poses a huge problem if you aren't starting a women's program to match it. Hockey is a tremendously expensive sport. You need a rink for games and practices- those are expensive to run.
                          UGA is building an ice arena that will function primarily as an events venue. That might be an option for some schools if they can either get donations or get voter support. Actually, it will be bigger than ASU's arena, and the Bulldogs will still probably draw more fans as a club D3 team.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Comment

I saw this list on another site. Chicago State hasn't "officially" dropped baseball yet- they did, then reconsidered and tabled the move because it would mean that they had less than the minimum sports. So don't expect a ruling until late June- which is bad for the players in case they want to transfer.

Cuts attributed to Covid-19
                              Akron - Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Women's Tennis
                              Alabama-Huntsville - Men's Hockey***
                              Bowling Green - Baseball
                              Central Michigan - Men's Indoor Track, Men's Outdoor Track
                              Chicago State - Baseball*
                              East Carolina - Swimming and Diving, Tennis (Both Men and Women)
                              Furman - Baseball, Men's Lacrosse
                              Sonoma State - Women's Water Polo**

Cuts announced prior/based on pre-Covid studies
                              Cincinnati - Men's Soccer
                              Jacksonville - Football
                              Old Dominion - Wrestling
                              UMKC - Men's Tennis, Women's Golf
                              Valparaiso - Men's Soccer, Men's Tennis

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

UGA is building an ice arena that will function primarily as an events venue. That might be an option for some schools if they can either get donations or get voter support. Actually, it will be bigger than ASU's arena, and the Bulldogs will still probably draw more fans as a club D3 team.
                                https://www.redandblack.com/sports/p...27230b725.html

I lived in Athens most of my adult life and try to keep up with UGA and local news.
                                Last edited by catatonic; 05-23-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X