Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    How does Kutztown lose by 19 at home to a 5-4 team and go from unranked to No. 10 in SR1?
    I agree it doesn't make sense. On the surface it seems like the committee selectively punished Kutztown last week for not having any good wins, and then turned around and gave them a pass this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
      How does Kutztown lose by 19 at home to a 5-4 team and go from unranked to No. 10 in SR1?
      "I think the number of people who know enough about the entire D2 landscape who are objective enough to be legitimately involved in the process could be counted on one hand..." - Matt Burglund

I think you just answered your own question Matt! Seriously though, we all know that on any given Saturday, anything can happen...

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

How do you pick the best 28 teams when several conferences don't play any OOC games and very few teams travel across the country to play games against teams outside of their region? It's a bad idea because there is no way to do it that makes it any better than the current playoff format.
        Same way they do it in D3

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
          If Tuskegee beats Benedict in the SIAC championship, could they potentially leapfrog Fort Valley State (who is idle in week 11) and get the 7 seed in SR2?
          I would say yes to that, but I don't see Tuskegee beating those Purple Tigers. Fort Valley should be very nervous at this point, because they may even get jumped by Limestone, who plays 5-5 Emory & Henry this weekend. So Fort Valley, say it with me now: "Goooo E&H" LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Same way they do it in D3
            I simply don't see that as being better, just different. Just as subjective.

Comment

There’s good and bad with national vs regional selection committees. I think a regional committee following fewer conferences has a better grasp of who’s deserving or not each year. One solution is to add an 8th team and do away with bye and have four games opening week.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                There’s good and bad with national vs regional selection committees. I think a regional committee following fewer conferences has a better grasp of who’s deserving or not each year. One solution is to add an 8th team and do away with bye and have four games opening week.

That bye is a nice reward, though, for those fortunate four teams. A lot of these teams (without the bye) will be playing their 12th game in 12 weeks. That's a lot of wear and tear. Most D2 teams aren't very deep with quality depth.

Although, I've heard from many coaches over the years that they don't like the bye week. Some feel it messes with the teams momentum, flow, etc.

I'd have to think by this time of year the bye can do wonders for a team physically. Your opponent has to go through another war (and likely get more beat up with injuries) and then turn around and travel to your place.

Comment

With the talk of a straight 1-28 playoff, without regions, I decided to quickly throw together what that might look like. For the "regions" I decided to first seed 1 to 28 and then fit them the best I could according to location and did a little bit of seed flipping to do that (because I figured that is what the NCAA would do in the hypothetical process). I did not take a deep dive on the numbers so there can be arguments made who might be in towards the bottom (and some seeding). But if it where to be a 1-28 it would probably look something along these lines (for this week):

East
                  1. GVSU
                  2. Shepherd
                  3. Va Union
                  4. Davenport
                  5. Assumption
                  6. Ashland
                  7. SRU
                  South
                  1. Angelo
                  2. Delta State
                  3. West Florida
                  4. Truman
                  5. Harding
                  6. Wingate
                  7. Mars Hill
                  Midwest
                  1. Ferris
                  2. Benedict
                  3. IUP
                  4. Bemidji
                  5. Mankato
                  6. Indy
                  7. Winona
                  West
                  1. Pitt State
                  2. OBU
                  3. Mines
                  4. Northwest
                  5. Emporia
                  6. Wayne State
                  7. Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post
                    With the talk of a straight 1-28 playoff, without regions, I decided to quickly throw together what that might look like. For the "regions" I decided to first seed 1 to 28 and then fit them the best I could according to location and did a little bit of seed flipping to do that (because I figured that is what the NCAA would do in the hypothetical process). I did not take a deep dive on the numbers so there can be arguments made who might be in towards the bottom (and some seeding). But if it where to be a 1-28 it would probably look something along these lines (for this week):

East
                    1. GVSU
                    2. Shepherd
                    3. Va Union
                    4. Davenport
                    5. Assumption
                    6. Ashland
                    7. SRU
                    South
                    1. Angelo
                    2. Delta State
                    3. West Florida
                    4. Truman
                    5. Harding
                    6. Wingate
                    7. Mars Hill
                    Midwest
                    1. Ferris
                    2. Benedict
                    3. IUP
                    4. Bemidji
                    5. Mankato
                    6. Indy
                    7. Winona
                    West
                    1. Pitt State
                    2. OBU
                    3. Mines
                    4. Northwest
                    5. Emporia
                    6. Wayne State
                    7. Henderson
                    Who would you have in these four regions as an 8th team if we did away with the bye? An 8th team per region might (?) solve some of the bubble complaints with the current set up.

As for the elimination of the bye being detrimental, I think the overall consensus would be to eliminate the bye if it meant 4 more teams got into the playoffs. West Florida made the title game in 2017 and 2019 by playing 4 games on the road and they weren’t the first or will be the last to do it.

Comment

Who would you have in these four regions as an 8th team if we did away with the bye? An 8th team per region might (?) solve some of the bubble complaints with the current set up.

As for the elimination of the bye being detrimental, I think the overall consensus would be to eliminate the bye if it meant 4 more teams got into the playoffs. West Florida made the title game in 2017 and 2019 by playing 4 games on the road and they weren’t the first or will be the last to do it.
                      Why would adding 4 more teams solve the bubble complaint? There will be 4 more teams (or more) who feel they should have been in the 8th spot and left out. Unless everyone is in the playoffs there will always be bubble complaints.

Comment

There would be some moving around of teams in regions but I think the next four in (based on criteria) would be Gannon, NDC, Fort Valley and Limestone. On quality of team I personally would have the next four as Neb Kearney, SVSU, Sioux Falls, and West Ga

Comment

Originally posted by Gliac_fan10 View Post

There would be some moving around of teams in regions but I think the next four in (based on criteria) would be Gannon, NDC, Fort Valley and Limestone. On quality of team I personally would have the next four as Neb Kearney, SVSU, Sioux Falls, and West Ga
                          The fact that Fort Valley is being included on anyone’s list of 32 better yet Top 50 implies that folks not in the South really know 0 about SIAC football and it’s quality.

Benedict is currently #1 in SR2 and wouldn’t finish top 3 in the GSC, SAC, GLIAC, PSAC, or any other conference represented in D2.

I would like for you to take a moment and research the SIAC’s history in the D2 playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCorso View Post

The fact that Fort Valley is being included on anyone’s list of 32 better yet Top 50 implies that folks not in the South really know 0 about SIAC football and it’s quality.

Benedict is currently #1 in SR2 and wouldn’t finish top 3 in the GSC, SAC, GLIAC, PSAC, or any other conference represented in D2.

I would like for you to take a moment and research the SIAC’s history in the D2 playoffs.
                            I totally agree, they would/are not in the top 32 but was saying by selection “criteria” they would most likely fall in the top 32

Comment

I disagree wholeheartedly. Adding more doesn't solve the problem. It just moves the whining about not making it down 4 spots. If anything get rid of 4 teams. Everyone knows the criteria going into the season. Like BigMr.G said if you want to make the playoffs don't lose.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                Poles don't Matter.
                                My friend Szymon thinks you are a racist.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X