Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Against not-the-RMAC-or-Shepherd, this was Matocha's average game: 239 yards, 2.6 TD, 0.50 INT. Nearly 100 yards/less and 1 TD less per game, on average. That was his average in those five games you mentioned against teams in the top 25, minus Pueblo, who suffers from the same issues as the rest of the RMAC when it comes to defensive inability.
    This is common. Playoff games more closely resemble NFL games.

Comment

Originally posted by FSUBulldog27 View Post

Plenty of thoughts - a lot of data - Sniff test is easy -

Maybe Mines had the best QB in the land but played average against a good defense. Shepherd QB was the best last year and got smoked - What D2 has shown lately is a great defense is better than any top QB in D2 land. Food for thought - Look at Jay Cutler's last year at Vanderbilt - Worst team in the SEC - he was a great QB that made Vanderbilt relevant against monster teams -

The best QBs in D2 last year - average to poor for a HH trophy winner.

Where are the past HH trophy winners in the NFL right now. Do any of these QB's have a chance to make it in the NFL - Will Caleb Murphy make it in the NFL - First ever Hendricks award winner from a non FBS program. Look at Matt Judon - probably the best in D2 in his last year at GV - Ferris has 4 or 5 players in the league now and all on defense accept Bernhardt -

What I don't understand in playing Shepherd last year and Mines this year - they couldn't figure out how to go after an aggressive defense. Maybe instead of 5 step drops its 3 step drops, screens, quick slants and more run plays etc...instead of long developing plays. Pitt State was getting killed on offense against Ferris but the figure a way to keep Defense off the QB - quick passes and screens...

So i am probably bias in thinking Caleb should have been the HH trophy winner - but will still sleep ok with back to back NC and beating GV when it counted (again) . Have a great Christmas everyone!!!!
      Bla bla bla, Ferris was a great defense, and the only one that shut him down. Has zero to do with the HH. Anyone can pick apart anyone in any award. Glad because your team won you have all the answers. Can’t wait to see what those Ferris players are doing with the rest of their lives. Just a great team of people there. I’m sure they’ll change the world for the better.

Comment

I'll emphasize, AGAIN, that I'm not knocking Matocha or Bagent or Rivers as good football players. I'm knocking the opposition they played against, and pointing out how that competition results in inflated statistics, which is what the Harlon Hill voters then use to determine the award winner, with no knowledge of the level of competition. Matocha is a very good football player, and a perfect fit for the Mines system.

GV was up 17-0 halfway through the 3rd quarter, with a secondary that had only one player in it with prior playing experience at the position they were playing in, against the most experienced receiving corps in the country.

Matocha was 8/13 for 76 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, and 3 sacks at halftime. With 6:30 to play in the 3rd quarter, he was 10/17 for 85 yards. GV went in to their usual prevent defense, and he proceeded to hit passes of 49 and 40 yards for touchdowns where the DB fell down both times, and hit a 36 yard pass as time expired on a hail mary short of the endzone. Context matters in that particular game's discussion.

I've noted multiple times on here how I give credit to the Mines coaching staff for shifting their strategy from 5-step dropbacks and going downfield, to 1 and 3-step dropbacks and quick-hitters at the line of scrimmage to negate the GV pass rush that was dominating them the first 2.5 quarters. That, paired with GV refusing to get out of their prevent defense, which is a constant complaint with GV over the last 15 years, was a recipe for disaster. Matocha and the CSM staff took advantage of that, and they had to throw the ball nearly the entire last 24 minutes of the game against a prevent defense and got back in to it. GV was stubborn and played not to lose rather than playing to win. A common refrain against decent opponents for GV.

Against the RMAC+Shepherd, this was Matocha's average game: 326 yards, 3.5 TD, 0.36 INT, and the only reason INT is that high is because of 3 INT against Western Colorado. He threw two INT in the other 10 RMAC+Shepherd games he played.

Against not-the-RMAC-or-Shepherd, this was Matocha's average game: 239 yards, 2.6 TD, 0.50 INT. Nearly 100 yards/less and 1 TD less per game, on average. That was his average in those five games you mentioned against teams in the top 25, minus Pueblo, who suffers from the same issues as the rest of the RMAC when it comes to defensive inability.

Out of his 16 games, his three lowest and four of his lowest six passing yardage totals were against not-the-RMAC. He massively inflates his stats against his own conference, because his conference plays no defense. This isn't breaking news. It has been that way for decades in the RMAC. I don't believe this is a surprising statement.
        It's true the rmac has never played defense, heck in 2014 Pueblo's terrible defense gave up 0 points in the NC game. You find that VCR yet so you can watch the last time GV won it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

Bla bla bla, Ferris was a great defense, and the only one that shut him down. Has zero to do with the HH. Anyone can pick apart anyone in any award. Glad because your team won you have all the answers. Can’t wait to see what those Ferris players are doing with the rest of their lives. Just a great team of people there. I’m sure they’ll change the world for the better.
          Always the same response from a loser who can't win the title - Gridiron Bobbi

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

It's true the rmac has never played defense, heck in 2014 Pueblo's terrible defense gave up 0 points in the NC game. You find that VCR yet so you can watch the last time GV won it?
            Oh, you mean to tell me the one actual good team in the RMAC was able to win the national championship? Wow. Fancy that. Crazy. It's almost like you've proved me correct yet again.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I kind of felt like Kle back when Woodhead got the nod over Race. In retrospect, I think they got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                I kind of felt like Kle back when Woodhead got the nod over Race. In retrospect, I think they got it right.
                Neither Race nor Omon won it. Garbage plain and simple. What boggles my mind is a program that has 6 D2 national championships, 4 runner ups, more PO wins than any other D2 program and ZERO Harlon Hill winners. Granted, those that I thought were worthy and should've won it were up against very good competition for the award.
                Last edited by CatFan88; 12-25-2022, 07:09 AM.
                Go Hounds!
                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                Cyclone Power
                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

Neither Race nor Omon won it. Garbage plain and simple. What boggles my mind is a program that has 6 D2 national championships, 4 runner ups, more PO wins than any other D2 program and ZERO Harlon Hill winners. Granted, those that I thought were worthy and should've won it were up against very good competition for the award.
                  I mean that can extend to almost all the blueblood programs. NWMS, GVSU, Valdosta, NDSU, a combined 19 national championships and 10 runner-ups. A total of five Harlon Hill winners. None since 2002, even though the vast majority of NWMS, GVSU, and Valdosta success has happened since 2002.

Comment

I mean that can extend to almost all the blueblood programs. NWMS, GVSU, Valdosta, NDSU, a combined 19 national championships and 10 runner-ups. A total of five Harlon Hill winners. None since 2002, even though the vast majority of NWMS, GVSU, and Valdosta success has happened since 2002.

NDSU doesn't really count. Some of their NCs were before the award existed.

Pitt has 2 HH winners, but they were in the early 90s when the award seemed like it normally went to an outstanding player on one of the top 4 or 5 teams. The criteria has definitely changed since then. I think that's why 04 and 05 were so puzzling to me. Don't get me wrong, Moore and West played in a really soft MIAA back then, but Pitt made the NC both years, and it seemed like it was more common for the winner to be from a contender.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

NDSU doesn't really count. Some of their NCs were before the award existed.

Pitt has 2 HH winners, but they were in the early 90s when the award seemed like it normally went to an outstanding player on one of the top 4 or 5 teams. The criteria has definitely changed since then. I think that's why 04 and 05 were so puzzling to me. Don't get me wrong, Moore and West played in a really soft MIAA back then, but Pitt made the NC both years, and it seemed like it was more common for the winner to be from a contender.
                      Now I'm not saying that the Harlon Hill should always go to someone who is on one of the 3-4 best teams in the country. But I do believe that if we are going to call the Harlon Hill "the best player in Division II," then odds are the best player in Division II is frequently going to be from one of the best teams. If we're only going to go by statistics, though, then simply don't call it the "best player in Division II" and I wouldn't have any issues with it lol. I just want consistency with how it is voted on. It seems like half the voters use only statistics, regardless of region or competition, and half the voters vote for someone from one of the top teams, regardless of statistics.
                      Last edited by KleShreen; 12-26-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Frankly I don't know what the HH truly is awarded on. That's an issue. Heisman has similar situation. Ask the voters and one gets different answers as to why they voted in a specific order. IMO, MVP doesn't mean best player. Nor does best mean MVP. And expand it from a team's impact to D2 and one gets perspectives from all over the map. When the media talks about the HH winner, they usually call it D2's Heisman. And yet, what is the criteria for the Heisman? It's almost like the sponsors' want controversy/discussion as to who wins them.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X