Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagler College - Tallahassee announced today they are shutting down.

Flagler is a D2 school, but their athletics are housed in St. Augustine so this likely doesn't affect them.

Comment

• Sinclair Community College announced the closure of two branch campuses yesterday, though it looks like they dropped out of the NJCAA a couple of years ago.

Comment

• Here's an odd one - Keystone College (NCAA DIII) is being required by their accreditor to provide a plan for potential closure. The school claims they are not closing.

Accreditor requires Keystone College to prepare plan for potential closure | News | thetimes-tribune.com

According to this article, the situation might be a little more dire:

Potential college closure in Lackawanna County| 28/22 News (pahomepage.com)

Keystone added an athletic complex in 2014, and added football in 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          Here's an odd one - Keystone College (NCAA DIII) is being required by their accreditor to provide a plan for potential closure. The school claims they are not closing.

Accreditor requires Keystone College to prepare plan for potential closure | News | thetimes-tribune.com

According to this article, the situation might be a little more dire:

Potential college closure in Lackawanna County| 28/22 News (pahomepage.com)

Keystone added an athletic complex in 2014, and added football in 2019
          When you have roughly 1000 students, adding football boosts enrollment. They made it to near 1200, but have zero cash. Goodbye Keystone College.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

When you have roughly 1000 students, adding football boosts enrollment. They made it to near 1200, but have zero cash. Goodbye Keystone College.
            I thought the same thing. I'm guessing the complex and added sports teams that came with it were too much of a burden.

I don't see them surviving this.

Comment

• Originally posted by crixus View Post

Ferrum is a private college in Virginia (D3).
              Ferrum is in very good shape financially, with nice football facilities and a pretty impressive football stadium.

Comment

• Wazzu to join the Mountain West in baseball and women's swimming for the next two years.

Mountain West Adds Washington State in Baseball and Women’s Swimming – Mountain West Conference (themw.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                  Wazzu to join the Mountain West in baseball and women's swimming for the next two years.

Mountain West Adds Washington State in Baseball and Women’s Swimming – Mountain West Conference (themw.com)
                  My alma mater (San Jose State Spartans) are the current Mountain West champions in baseball, although a repeat doesn't look likely. Adding Wazzu is great, that will bring the MW up to 8 teams again. Boise State added baseball four years ago, but they pulled the plug after only 14 games due to budget cuts.
                  Last edited by crixus; 04-17-2024, 12:04 AM.

Comment

My alma mater (San Jose State) are the current Mountain West champions in baseball, although a repeat doesn't look likely. Adding Wazzu is great, that will bring the MW up to 8 teams and maybe a second NCAA tournament bid next year. Maybe, but probably not IMHO. But it's still good news! Boise State added baseball a few years back, but they pulled the plug after only 17 games (or something close to that) due to budget cuts. What a fiasco that was. You'd think they'd know if they could afford it or not ahead of time. Duh.
                    I believe Boise State canned their program due to COVID, which resulted in a big budget reduction for the athletic department. Cuts had to be made, and getting rid of the recently added sport was the easiest solution. Very poor time to be adding a new sponsored sport unfortunately :(

Comment

• Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post

I believe Boise State canned their program due to COVID, which resulted in a big budget reduction for the athletic department. Cuts had to be made, and getting rid of the recently added sport was the easiest solution. Very poor time to be adding a new sponsored sport unfortunately :(
                      You quoted my comment right when I was editing it. I hate when that happens. Nothing against you, it's all about timing. If I remember correctly, Boise State cut their budget by 3 million dollars that year. They're baseball team got off to a really good 9-5 start before they got the axe. I'm glad Wazzu is coming on, even if it's just for two MW seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                        Wazzu to join the Mountain West in baseball and women's swimming for the next two years.

Too bad Oregon State isn't coming with Wazzu for the next two years. Oh well, I welcome the Cougars to the Mountain West.

Comment

You quoted my comment right when I was editing it. I hate when that happens. Nothing against you, it's all about timing. If I remember correctly, Boise State cut their budget by 3 million dollars that year. They're baseball team got off to a really good 9-5 start before they got the axe. I'm glad Wazzu is coming on, even if it's just for two MW seasons.
                          Whoops, my bad! Just can't get around something like that in a forum setting, haha. I agree, Wazzu baseball in the MW should be good for both parties. Wazzus been a solid program, and they have the 13th most wins of any team all-time, so it should really help shore up MW baseball.

Comment

• La Salle in the A-10 to add Women's Rugby, Women's Acrobatics, Wome';s Triathlon, and baseball.

Quite the selection of sports. I actually used to know a La Salle alum.

La Salle University Announces Addition of Four Varsity Sport Programs - La Salle University Athletics (goexplorers.com)

Comment

• Western Connecticut State announces plans to add men's, women's NCAA D-III hockey programs - College Hockey | USCHO.com

Comment

• D3 Hiram to return to the President's Athletic Conference.
                                Hiram College To Return To Presidents' Athletic Conference - Hiram College (hiramterriers.com)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X