Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    John Witherspoon College in Rapid City announces closure - no idea if they have sports or not, and had no idea they existed.

Rapid City college closing, President says hope is not lost | News | newscenter1.tv

Mountain State College in West Virginia closed at the end of March - no idea if they have sports or not either.

Struggling Mountain State College closes its doors | News, Sports, Jobs - News and Sentinel
    I live 100 miles from Rapid City and go there several times a year, and I have never heard of this college. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

I live 100 miles from Rapid City and go there several times a year, and I have never heard of this college. LOL.
      They have a Wikipedia page and are a "legit" college - but upon further reading, they are tiny - more like an office rather than a college. Pretty strange.

Safe to say with only 8 academic faculty, they did not have sports lol.

Comment

• Lakeland Community College (Ohio) is on closure watch. They've announced financial distress.

‘Unsustainable:’ State auditors say Lakeland Community College is in financial trouble - cleveland.com

Lakeland is a member of the NJCAA. Community colleges closing makes me a little sad - those are for the betterment of the communities they serve and are maybe the last bastion of what higher education is supposed to be.

I found this article - it's behind a paywall, but it suggests more trouble brewing in Ohio.

A new era: Enrollment declines forcing Ohio colleges and universities to look at cuts, mergers and closures - cleveland.com

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
          Lakeland Community College (Ohio) is on closure watch. They've announced financial distress.

‘Unsustainable:’ State auditors say Lakeland Community College is in financial trouble - cleveland.com

Lakeland is a member of the NJCAA. Community colleges closing makes me a little sad - those are for the betterment of the communities they serve and are maybe the last bastion of what higher education is supposed to be.
          And these are publicly funded community colleges we're talking about. Lakeland CC (Ohio) is in Lake County, northeast-ish of Cleveland, so it's not like it's out in the middle of nowhere. You'd think this, plus the closing of Eastern Gateway CC in Steubenville would raise enough red flags in Columbus to get someone to address these issues at the state level.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• This article has some interesting stats - 13 DIII colleges have closed since 2020, resulting in a loss of 200 athletic programs. An additional 82 have been cut at colleges that haven't closed (though the article does mention some schools have been adding sports).

In A Rising Tide Of College Closures, Impact On Division III Athletics Becomes Clear (forbes.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

And these are publicly funded community colleges we're talking about. Lakeland CC (Ohio) is in Lake County, northeast-ish of Cleveland, so it's not like it's out in the middle of nowhere. You'd think this, plus the closing of Eastern Gateway CC in Steubenville would raise enough red flags in Columbus to get someone to address these issues at the state level.
              Something is definitely off.

Comment

• This doesn't have an effect on sports - but Alabama A&M wants to buy Birmingham-Southern's campus. Along with that, they intend for the potential purchase to serve as the spiritual successor to BSC - which I think is neat.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hbcu-alab...185416161.html

Comment

• Northland College avoids closure, will retain athletics department:

https://www.wdio.com/front-page/top-...focused-model/

It's... an interesting plan. Hopefully they (and other) LACs take it as a warning.

Comment

• CUSA Adds Missouri State, Bears to Join in 2025 - Conference USA

Comment

• MVFC Spot opened up!! Here we go!

That leaves the MVFC with 5 MVC members, 4 Summit members, and 1 Horizon League member

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

MVFC Spot opened up!! Here we go!

That leaves the MVFC with 5 MVC members, 4 Summit members, and 1 Horizon League member
                        OK, who gets asked first? NWMSU, Pitt, MSU, GV, Ferris? Maybe even old MVC member West Texas A&M?

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

OK, who gets asked first? NWMSU, Pitt, MSU, GV, Ferris? Maybe even old MVC member West Texas A&M?
                          NWMSU would have some merit considering there are no Missouri Football schools in the MVFC anymore now lol. That's confusing geography with D1 conferences though. It would also be poetic that NWMSU moves up to the Missouri Valley for all sports now that they lost their Head Basketball coach to Drake a fellow MVC member.

I think any of the schools could do it, but GV might be the safest bet for D2 schools to be added. I would bank more on the Utah FCS Schools asking to join or maybe UST?

Comment

• Not sure if Eastern Illinois, or SeMo are interested in moving to the MVC but if asked I would go if I were them.

Comment

• I've heard rumblings that the Summit is trying to get the NCC gang back together and courting Northern Colorado. If that's the case, they might get that MVFC spot. I'm skeptical they take anyone from D2 though; the MVFC is a Top 2 league in the FCS, and they aren't #2, so I don't think the pressure is on to add anyone just yet

Comment

• https://wccsports.com/news/2024/5/10...s-members.aspx

Busy day today. The WAC is in trouble

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X