Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

That reminds me when I was like 12 and our rec league baseball team got whooped like that. Even if it was a 7-inning game, it’s a lot of standing out there in the field for hours and hours while the other team keeps scoring. Just about the most boring thing I can think of, it’s near impossible to keep attention through that. No mercy rule either…didn’t have it in the 80s.
    No mercy rule... but wouldn't opposing coach put in their back of the bench? And if the back of the bench is still that much better than your team, wouldn't the opposing coach and your coach agree that enough is enough at some point? And even if the other coach wants to play it all the way out, you can still pull your team off the field at some point. There is no shame in doing that when the alternative is staying on a field that your team really shouldn't be sharing the same field with the opposing team.

Comment

• Originally posted by sportsvine View Post

No mercy rule... but wouldn't opposing coach put in their back of the bench? And if the back of the bench is still that much better than your team, wouldn't the opposing coach and your coach agree that enough is enough at some point? And even if the other coach wants to play it all the way out, you can still pull your team off the field at some point. There is no shame in doing that when the alternative is staying on a field that your team really shouldn't be sharing the same field with the opposing team.
      We had a varsity double header- lost game one 4-3. In the second game the bottom dropped out- lost 23-0. Opposing coach pulled all of his starters. Then his backup catcher got hurt. He came over to say that his starting catcher was also hurt- but with the reentry rules he would be forced to put him back in because everyone else had been used up. I told him no way is he going to put a hurt player back in- he could use a reserve who had already played and technically couldn't return. It could have been a forfeit otherwise if he played. I told him I would do it under one condition- that he called in the stats of the game to the paper even though the home team is responsible for that. He was pretty relieved. I have known coaches that are such jerks that they would have taken the forfeit instead of admitting that they just got beat. You run into all kinds. Some people don't bother to sub. You can only hope that karma catches up.

Comment

• Today was the deadline for Northland to have achieved their $12 million fundraising goal to stay open - latest from yesterday says $1 million was achieved purely through fundraising - though other means were being explored and those numbers have not been disclosed yet.

It also sounds like they are exploring options for partnerships and such as another way to continue operations.

I have to wonder though - if I'm a student at Northland, say - a sophomore - am I staying while all this news is floating around? That's another curiosity I have.

Comment

• I found this article from Inside Higher Ed about athletes who transferred from Alderson Broadus to Notre Dame College. Ouch.

Dual college closures leave multiple transfers in the lurch (insidehighered.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
            Today was the deadline for Northland to have achieved their $12 million fundraising goal to stay open - latest from yesterday says $1 million was achieved purely through fundraising - though other means were being explored and those numbers have not been disclosed yet.

It also sounds like they are exploring options for partnerships and such as another way to continue operations.

I have to wonder though - if I'm a student at Northland, say - a sophomore - am I staying while all this news is floating around? That's another curiosity I have.
            I think the official deadline is midnight tonight. So -- unless I missed it -- I wouldn't expect any word from the College until tomorrow.

You bring up a great point about students staying. And how hard will it be to recruit new students even if they make the goal. the $12M was only enough to buy another year. If I'm a high school senior, this is one school off the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

I think the official deadline is midnight tonight. So -- unless I missed it -- I wouldn't expect any word from the College until tomorrow.

You bring up a great point about students staying. And how hard will it be to recruit new students even if they make the goal. the $12M was only enough to buy another year. If I'm a high school senior, this is one school off the list.
              True point on the deadline - I guess I'll check tomorrow.

It's too bad because they seem to be a nice little school, but the current environment is not favorable toward these small private and rural LACs.

If I'm a freshman/sophomore, I'm gone. If enough go, it might make the whole point of the fundraising moot. Maybe I'd stay as a junior but not having a school to come back too would probably not sit so well with me either. Wish them the best.

Comment

• Just saw on the X/Twitter that Mercyhurst is making the transition to D1.

EDIT: And here's an article. Mercyhurst University sports make big jump to NCAA Division I, NEC (goerie.com)

Comment

Just saw on the X/Twitter that Mercyhurst is making the transition to D1.
                  Yep. Mercyhurst University marks new era in athletics with move to Division I - Mercyhurst University Athletics (hurstathletics.com)

Comment

• At least the NE-10 finally gets a break this time

Comment

Just saw on the X/Twitter that Mercyhurst is making the transition to D1.

EDIT: And here's an article. Mercyhurst University sports make big jump to NCAA Division I, NEC (goerie.com)
                      Good for them, it must be so nice being in the northeast where you can throw a rock at another college campus. Mankato would have been D1 15 years ago if that were the case here

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Good for them, it must be so nice being in the northeast where you can throw a rock at another college campus. Mankato would have been D1 15 years ago if that were the case here
                        It's got positives and negatives for sure. Tons of competition for recruits and eyeballs, but programs have a lot of options for realignment and scheduling.

Comment

• Not college but- Oakland Athletics announce move to Sacramento for the 2025, 2026, and 2027 seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                            Not college but- Oakland Athletics announce move to Sacramento for the 2025, 2026, and 2027 seasons.
                            I'm sure there's much rejoicing in Sacramento...

But, a lot of D1 college baseball programs outdraw the A's (okay, that was my half-hearted attempt to link the A's move to college sports).
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Yeah, it's just another sign the P4 needs to split from the NCAA and fast. They're letting in so much deadweight to D1.

The NCAA tournament was practically unwatchable this year... It's insane to me that there's actually a debate going on about letting in Indiana State to the tournament. It's crazy that's what D1 has become and it has to be absolutely embarrassing for the blue bloods to share a floor with these programs, but I digress.

Actually, it would have been nice if Minnesota would have historically done a better job at combining resources so we could have another real D1 program. It's so embarrassing that UST is carrying the torch for us. They're so bad at everything except hockey. They could have continued to not win football championships in D3 just as easily.

Comment

• That's funny. You and I disagree on the details, but we agree that the big 4 need to break off.
                                I enjoyed the tourney, just as much as i always have.
                                Mankato is as D1 ready as any of these other schools that are leaving/in transition.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X