X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Virginia Wesleyan in Buckhannon WV

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Reason the WVIAC ended was largely because of the non-football playing schools voting against the addition of UVa-Wise and then at the 11th hour AB, which was starting a football program, changed their vote and voted against UVa-Wise. This change in votes made it impossible for the football playing schools to get the WVIAC required 2/3 to add a new member. The schools that voted against adding Wise were Ohio Valley, Bluefield State, Pitt-Johnstown, Wheeling Jesuit, and D&E. AB had consistently voted with the football playing schools giving them the 2/3 necessary to add Wise until the final vote when they voted NOT to add them. At that point, the football playing schools voted to leave the WVIAC and form a new conference which became the MEC.

After voting to join the MEC but before the actual inception, the PSAC approached Seton Hill and asked them to join their conference as a replacement for LIU Post. This caused the MEC to invite Wheeling Jesuit to join provided they committed to starting a football program.

The WVIAC didn't become the MEC as the WVIAC actually existed with six members after the football playing schools left. The remaining members of the WVIAC chose to disband the conference instead of seeking new members.
      I think his point was that there was a whole lot of activity and work put in, only to arrive at essentially the same place the conference would have been anyways without all the activity/work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post

I think his point was that there was a whole lot of activity and work put in, only to arrive at essentially the same place the conference would have been anyways without all the activity/work.
        That's more what I meant, yeah... I guess the MEC does have a strong majority of football playing schools now, so they did achieve what they set out to do from splitting off from the WVIAC, but still, if they had waited it out a few more years they probably would've gotten their wish in the end anyways. I wasn't familiar with the specifics of the WVIACs demise and the MECs birth though (like I wasn't aware UVA Wise joining was the inciting event), so I appreciate that boatcapt!

Comment

I disagree. The MEC is a much more competitive conference on a regional and national level than the WVIAC ever was OR ever would have been. The 6 non-football schools spent very little on athletics but we're the FIRST in line at the league office with their hand out for the NCAA money given to the conf based on playoff selection and performance.

And as I noted, the WVIAC was not dissolved when the MEC schools left. The remaining 6 schools could have sought new schools and continued on. But as was typical of them, they didn't want to put in any work and chose to dissolve the conference.

Comment

It’s such weird feeling to be reading news articles regarding the possible demise of your school; and concurrently, kids are announcing their commitments to play sports at the school.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
              What does WVW average for attendance? That does look horrible.
              Tdobson - I took a look at last year's home game box scores, which suppose to show the attendance. They basically provided a rounded off number for attendance.....like 500 for the first 2 home games, 400 for another, 100 for another game.

Comment

Sad news regarding NDC. There was a time when they had 2500+ students. Hopefully they can pull out of this.

Don't know much about Point Park. Interesting and somewhat unconventional addition. Kind of seems similar to the GLIAC recently adding Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Tdobson - I took a look at last year's home game box scores, which suppose to show the attendance. They basically provided a rounded off number for attendance.....like 500 for the first 2 home games, 400 for another, 100 for another game.
                  I'd take attendance numbers at any DII with a huge grain of salt. So many ways of counting...that is if they count at all. Quite often it's nothing more than an eyeball WAG and sometimes an outright lie. There was a school in the MEC that reported near sell outs every home game...but when you'd actually go to a game, the stadium was less than 1/4 filled. This school was giving all their tickets to a local fast food chain who was giving them away with every order of chicken nuggets. The school was counting every ticket given away as attendance!

Comment

What happened at NDC?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd take attendance numbers at any DII with a huge grain of salt. So many ways of counting...that is if they count at all. Quite often it's nothing more than an eyeball WAG and sometimes an outright lie. There was a school in the MEC that reported near sell outs every home game...but when you'd actually go to a game, the stadium was less than 1/4 filled. This school was giving all their tickets to a local fast food chain who was giving them away with every order of chicken nuggets. The school was counting every ticket given away as attendance!
                      You can say the name Boat. Wasn't that the University of Charleston?

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post

You can say the name Boat. Wasn't that the University of Charleston?
                        Yes it was. Think they did it through Wendy's or something.

Comment

It’s such weird feeling to be reading news articles regarding the possible demise of your school; and concurrently, kids are announcing their commitments to play sports at the school.

Kids will commit anywhere these days. All they are doing is signing up for one year. The Letter of Intent is only valid for one year -- as is their scholarship (if they got one). For most, it's then off to the Portal. So long as NDC has a team this Fall they will get some game tape and can easily relocate if needed.

The killer was the late closing of AB last year. Most of those kids got royally screwed. Most rosters were set by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Yes it was. Think they did it through Wendy's or something.
                            Yep...Charleston. That was back when the board was more passionate with fan barbs flying back and forth. Now this message board is pretty tame and sterile...filled with "meaningful" (?).stats, good wishes to coming opponents and "boy did our guys play hard" comments.

Comment

You are right Boat about the board. I guess us WL fans have accepted the fact that Roger has a lifetime job and we are doomed for 3-9 seasons from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                                You are right Boat about the board. I guess us WL fans have accepted the fact that Roger has a lifetime job and we are doomed for 3-9 seasons from now on.
                                Yep...The rumor was that he as bullet proof due to our deep pocketed donor threatening to withhold his donation if Rodger was fired. Well, that donor has passed away but Rodger is still there. Couple this with a new President and the retirement of the AD and now would have been the prefect time to bounce Rodger and rebuild the WLU football program. But clearly that didn't happen so it looks like Rodger leaves when Rodger decides it's time for Roger to leave...and not a second before.

Certainly the ball shrivlingly bad state of WLU football has contributed to the milk toast nature of the current D2football SR1 forum, but I'm talking more broadly to include the SR1 and Atlantic Region forums. Seems that both have morphed over the years into fan versions of coach speak were stats are recited, good lucks are exchanged and "our guys played their guts out" post game statements are the norm. All very vanilla.

Meanwhile...I see the WLU AD job is posted with interested candidates wanting "priority consideration" to have their resumes in by Feb 26. Ullum has been out of the position since October 23 with Brad Forshey announced as the interim AD. Four months and we don't even have resumes of interested parties???? I had hoped for something a little quicker...guess I hoped for too much.
                                Last edited by boatcapt; 02-10-2024, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X