Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Piaa split up...

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    All you're doing is defending the education and avoiding the topic of outside of the rules recruitment. There is no question that kids/paremts choose private and parochial schools for their perceived benefits. That says nothing about skirting recruitment rules.
    All I am doing is asking for physical proof, the basis of our justice system and I am also asking the self proclaimed victims to step up their game if they feel they are losing kids. I hinted to this so many times, I will just come out and say it now.
    If kids are going to Pittsburgh Central for better college recruitment, maybe school district should see what they can do to get their kids better visibility. Lets face it, it is not the 90's anymore where a recruiters needs to go to schools and see kids in person. With hudl all recruiters need to do is have access to the internet. So all HS coaches needs to do is put tape on Hudl and talk the kid up some to the recruiter. Too many public school coaches don't do these simple things to help their kids get notice and offers, so they get no sympathy from me that little Johnny wants to play for big bad private powerhouse than for their worthless ass. Clean up your own house instead of trying to tear down others.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      Good luck selling that to these small school districts and, for that matter, to the larger districts. Just because a Clairton City School District is on the verge of failure, that doesn't mean that West Jefferson Hills, Elizabeth-Forward, South Allegheny or West Mifflin will welcome them in with open arms. The only such situations that we've had here in Pittsburgh was Duquesne City closing their middle/high school and sending their kids to West Mifflin or East Allegheny, and Wilkinsburg Borough closing their high school and sending their students to Pittsburgh Westinghouse. And there was the merger of Center Area and Monaca into Central Valley in Beaver County.

A state legislator would rather vote to triple the state income tax than vote to make school district mergers/consolidations easier.
      Unfortantly I feel this is 100% true. Another example is Midland had to send their kids to Ohio for HS, because none of the other local schools wanted them. Not sure which HS they go to now.

Comment

Easy to fix.

Private schools play in two division.

Large School Private School
        Small School Private School

I remember two years ago Wilson West Lawn meeting up with some big Catholic school from Pittsburgh. The private school had like 7 1A scholarship players in the starting lineup and the game was over by the end of the 1st half.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          Good luck selling that to these small school districts and, for that matter, to the larger districts. Just because a Clairton City School District is on the verge of failure, that doesn't mean that West Jefferson Hills, Elizabeth-Forward, South Allegheny or West Mifflin will welcome them in with open arms. The only such situations that we've had here in Pittsburgh was Duquesne City closing their middle/high school and sending their kids to West Mifflin or East Allegheny, and Wilkinsburg Borough closing their high school and sending their students to Pittsburgh Westinghouse. And there was the merger of Center Area and Monaca into Central Valley in Beaver County.

A state legislator would rather vote to triple the state income tax than vote to make school district mergers/consolidations easier.
          Pennsylvania should set up County School districts. There shouldn't be these numerous school districts that require more taxes than should be needed.

I think 67 school districts across the Commonwealth would make things a lot easier.....and would end the inequities. No longer would some districts struggle and kids getting a bad education.

It is in everyone's best interest that all kids across the state have access to good public schools.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenRam94 View Post
            Easy to fix.

I remember two years ago Wilson West Lawn meeting up with some big Catholic school from Pittsburgh. The private school had like 7 1A scholarship players in the starting lineup and the game was over by the end of the 1st half.
            ..and then last year the rich public school from the Pittsburgh suburbs beat St Joe's.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              Pennsylvania should set up County School districts. There shouldn't be these numerous school districts that require more taxes than should be needed.

I think 67 school districts across the Commonwealth would make things a lot easier.....and would end the inequities. No longer would some districts struggle and kids getting a bad education.

It is in everyone's best interest that all kids across the state have access to good public schools.
              I think that generally works but the local politics in SWPA are waaaaay too strong and influential to make that happen. The same reason why even after sharing a building for decades locals refuse to merge Allegheny County and City of Pittsburgh governments.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                Fighting Scot you seem like a smart guy and I like reading your opinion and agree with some and disagree with some. With that said, sorry but 9 out of 11 privates making the playoffs proves nothing. So many bad teams make the playoffs, just like so many bad D1 college teams make bowl games. You are either using old standard like back in the mid 90's or earlier, when making the playoffs meant you were actually good or using the FCS/D2/D3 college standard where it still means you are good to be in the playoffs. making the playoff in HS today means you are just average. With today's low standards tell me how many of the 11 private schools made the semi's?
                That still makes them competitive. 100% of private school teams being no less than 1 game out of the district playoffs says something. Sure its a small sample with just 11 football programs over six divisions but that's pretty good when there are schools that haven't made the playoffs in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                  I don't question it happens I know it, but guess what? What you state is not how our society works. Our society works by bringing physical evidence and having a case about it. Anything less than that is frankly how third world dictatorships work.
                  Read the link below because this is what is actually happening. Our opinions don't mean a hill of beans. The public school lobbyists must have produced enough of a case because they are clearly moving the conversation to the point of action by the PIAA and the state legislature.

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/s...rts/713345002/

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenRam94 View Post
                    Easy to fix.

I pretty Much thought the exact same thing. Except here in Pittsburgh. PCC is about the only "big boy" Private School. Them and ECP would pretty much have to have weekend road trips on away games and vice versa for their opponents. "Small school" could actually field a few divisions. It would officially render PCC, and again ECP in ways, into an IMG academy. A cross between High school and Junior college / AAU football hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ike 97 View Post
                      I pretty Much thought the exact same thing. Except here in Pittsburgh. PCC is about the only "big boy" Private School. Them and ECP would pretty much have to have weekend road trips on away games and vice versa for their opponents. "Small school" could actually field a few divisions. It would officially render PCC, and again ECP in ways, into an IMG academy. A cross between High school and Junior college / AAU football hybrid.
                      Isn't that how things used to be? Back in the 60s when my dad attended "old" North Catholic, they played several "bus trip" games to Ohio and New York.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                        I think that generally works but the local politics in SWPA are waaaaay too strong and influential to make that happen. The same reason why even after sharing a building for decades locals refuse to merge Allegheny County and City of Pittsburgh governments.
                        If Pittsburgh encompassed all of Allegheny County...it would become the 10th largest city in the United States at 1.2 million people.

It's currently the 65th largest city in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          Read the link below because this is what is actually happening. Our opinions don't mean a hill of beans. The public school lobbyists must have produced enough of a case because they are clearly moving the conversation to the point of action by the PIAA and the state legislature.

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/s...rts/713345002/
                          I see stuff talked about transferring rules, but I still have not heard or seen proof, just talk about looking into the hearsay that has been going on forever.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                            If Pittsburgh encompassed all of Allegheny County...it would become the 10th largest city in the United States at 1.2 million people.

It's currently the 65th largest city in the United States.
                            Having grown up in DA BURGH when it was the 12th largest city (1950) and lived in FILTHYDELPHIA (74-81), I think being the county seat gives PGH an advantage because the well being of the suburbs is tied to the health of the city. My impression in PHILLY was that the surrounding counties could care less how well the C of BL was doing as long as it didn't spread.

Comment

Central Catholic has obviously had some loaded up teams full of hired guns. Luckily, there have been some mega public teams, too -- North Allegheny, P-R, Woodland Hills, McKeesport, etc.

The 1996-97 Penn Hills team was as good as I've seen. They were No. 1 in USA Today much of the season. I recall that team had 11 D1 signees.

The 95-96 McKeesport team with Brandon Short was incredible.

Anybody on here see LaVar Arrington at North Hills? Goodness. Watching him in high school was like watching LeBron play at the YMCA with us old dorks.

If you go back further Bill Fralic would command about an entire O Line to block.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Central Catholic has obviously had some loaded up teams full of hired guns. Luckily, there have been some mega public teams, too -- North Allegheny, P-R, Woodland Hills, McKeesport, etc.

The 1996-97 Penn Hills team was as good as I've seen. They were No. 1 in USA Today much of the season. I recall that team had 11 D1 signees.

The 95-96 McKeesport team with Brandon Short was incredible.

Anybody on here see LaVar Arrington at North Hills? Goodness. Watching him in high school was like watching LeBron play at the YMCA with us old dorks.

If you go back further Bill Fralic would command about an entire O Line to block.
                                I watched Arrington destroy North Allegheny firsthand for a few years. Now NA and North Hills don't even play in the same classification. Back in those days Ambridge and New Castle were AAAA, Gateway was AAA, and Pine Richland was AA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X