Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Having grown up in DA BURGH when it was the 12th largest city (1950) and lived in FILTHYDELPHIA (74-81), I think being the county seat gives PGH an advantage because the well being of the suburbs is tied to the health of the city. My impression in PHILLY was that the surrounding counties could care less how well the C of BL was doing as long as it didn't spread.

Comment

Re: Piaa split up...

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      I watched Arrington destroy North Allegheny firsthand for a few years. Now NA and North Hills don't even play in the same classification. Back in those days Ambridge and New Castle were AAAA, Gateway was AAA, and Pine Richland was AA.
      Late 90s the Quad East had Gateway, Woodland Hills, McKeesport, Central Catholic, Penn Hills, Kiski, Plum and Fox Chapel in the same division. Insane.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Late 90s the Quad East had Gateway, Woodland Hills, McKeesport, Central Catholic, Penn Hills, Kiski, Plum and Fox Chapel in the same division. Insane.
        Quad North was Butler, North Allegheny, North Hills, Seneca Valley, and Shaler. I feel like I'm missing someone. Ambridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          Quad North was Butler, North Allegheny, North Hills, Seneca Valley, and Shaler. I feel like I'm missing someone. Ambridge?
          Ambridge dropped in early 2000's and New Castle with New Castle winning the WPIAL in 1999 or 2000 I believe.

Comment

Late 90s Shaker was rolling. Sad what's happened there. Epic fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
              Ambridge dropped in early 2000's and New Castle with New Castle winning the WPIAL in 1999 or 2000 I believe.
              I in high school I remember watching NA obliterate Ambridge something like 82-0. I also vaguely remember going to New Castle for a game. That conference was best when Shaler could put together a team.

Comment

I think New Castle won the wpial in 98' before they ran into CB West in the state championship.

Comment

One problem with every small school merging....is 8 years olds being on busses for an hr and a half to go 3rd grade. I see it all over my social media from my HS shutting down the elementary schools in our district. You can drive from one end of the district to the other end in maybe 30 minutes. The school used to have elementary schools on the ends of the district but now theyre all closed and kids are on busses for long periods of time.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                    When the transferring/recruitment occurs in rural PA then it is most glaring. Historically, there are not many private opportunities throughout rural PA so it hasn't happened much but when it does happen it's out of control. It's been an issue in the Altoona/Johnstown areas and I think the biggest culprit out there is Bishop McCort and maybe one or two others I really don't remember specifically so don't quote me on that. With the emergence of of St Joseph's in State College that is extraordinarily impactful. Central PA has never had a private school presence, at least relative to athletics. The location of that new school is really hampering the State College and Bellefonte schools. Notice SCHS is mentioned in anything you read on this topic now. Are they recruiting? It's hard to prove and that's one of the problems.
                    If St. Joe's Catholic was poaching football players, it didn't work out all that well.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/h...214693930.html

Comment

• Re: Piaa split up...

Will this change things...

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/piaa-a...ransfer-rules/

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                        How hard is it to get a hardship waiver? I do see this helping and like no post season for transfers.

Comment

I see stuff talked about transferring rules, but I still have not heard or seen proof, just talk about looking into the hearsay that has been going on forever.
                          But you said you knew it was happening. Wouldn't that be proof if you know something is happening?
                          Last edited by iupgroundhog; 07-19-2018, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Unfortantly I feel this is 100% true. Another example is Midland had to send their kids to Ohio for HS, because none of the other local schools wanted them. Not sure which HS they go to now.
                            The agreement between Midland and East Liverpool, Ohio ended abruptly in 2015.

https://triblive.com/news/beaver/786...#axzz3SydCteiY

Presuming the circumstances are the same, most high school students are forced to enroll in charter schools since none of the other school districts surrounding Midland are willing to accept them, either because of sheer arrogance or subtle racism. The old high school in Midland is now a charter high school (Lincoln Park), but other than that, options appear limited since there are far fewer high school students living in Midland these days.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              But you said you knew it was happening. Wouldn't that be proof if you know something is happening?
                              When I said I knew it was happening I meant that in the figurative sense, because I am just playing the odds it had to have happened before. Doesn't mean I have proof one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                                The agreement between Midland and East Liverpool, Ohio ended abruptly in 2015.

https://triblive.com/news/beaver/786...#axzz3SydCteiY

Presuming the circumstances are the same, most high school students are forced to enroll in charter schools since none of the other school districts surrounding Midland are willing to accept them, either because of sheer arrogance or subtle racism. The old high school in Midland is now a charter high school (Lincoln Park), but other than that, options appear limited since there are far fewer high school students living in Midland these days.
                                I did not get that sentiment from reading that article. The way I interpreted the article is that the great majority (over 90%) of Midland HS age students already chose to go the Charter route even before East Liverpool ended the contract. I also will not say the other schools are being arrogant or racist since this article is stating that the contract is not being meet by either EL or Midland. Maybe other school districts find Midlands to risky? Basically what i am saying is we do not know why other SD don't want Midland kids so we should not speculate their motives.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X