Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Piaa split up...

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
    Last season 5 or 6 kids left Ambridge and went to public schools. It happens alright.
    Yes but that's also a transient community. People move from Ambridge not to Ambridge. This isn't Gronk to Woodland Hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      Yes but that's also a transient community. People move from Ambridge not to Ambridge. This isn't Gronk to Woodland Hills.
      Can't remember where all of them went but I know 1 of them went to that very affluent town. I think it is called Aliquippa.

Comment

I know you said you are a wrestling guy, but football wise St Joe's were never good in their 5 or 6 years and this year they dropped their football program with hopes of starting it again. Doesn't sound like they are good at recruiting if they are guilty of it. As for wrestling, why would someone want to leave a tradition rich program like Bellefonte to go to St Joe's? What is St Joe's offering to make it seem like the better deal?
        I agree completely. And I don't know the answer as far as "what are they offering." Although I was using that situation as an example in a broader context. As I understand it people in Centre County are concerned, and yes, it is more wrestling.

Comment

Comment

Can't remember where all of them went but I know 1 of them went to that very affluent town. I think it is called Aliquippa.
            Found it. http://www.timesonline.com/article/2...orts/305039948

McNair signed with Clarion. Those Ohio River towns are all intermingled anymore. Very feasible for someone to move from Ambridge to Hopewell and have it be legit. Geographically speaking it's nothing much. Moving from Ambridge to Quaker Valley is a difference of maybe five miles. Leetsdale is QV and probably not better economically than the Ambridge kids who live up on the hill.

Comment

Homer City was in the state Championship game last year and I doubt Indiana would have been in the running for heritage conf champs. At the same time, I don't think the heritage conf all stars would have won Indiana's conference.

Comment

The conversation has devolved into defending all private schools. We're not talking about all private schools.

The issue is one of fairness and maintaining a level playing field. We are talking about scholastic athletics. We aren't talking about the Yankees or Patriots having more money to spend than other teams.

Recruiting by private schools is a problem and needs to be addressed.

Questions to ask, include:

Are certain private schools circumventing the rules by recruiting athletes for athletic purposes rather than academic purposes?

Are certain private schools creating dominant programs by circumventing the transfer rules?

I think the consensus answer to these basic questions is 'yes.'

If you agree that this is happening then you have to ask 'Is it fair?' The answer to that is 'no.'

So, what are you going to do about it? Either the governing body i.e. the PIAA has to tighten the rules and police them better or the public schools being affected need to take a stand

At this point, something has to change. It's not an indictment of all private schools. However, it's pretty hard to argue that recruitment by PIAA schools for sports purposes isn't happening and impacting the fairness of the playing field.

There's a wealth of information on the internet on this topic. I thought the article below was pretty good.

http://www.sungazette.com/sports/loc...lem-worsening/

Comment

Look back and see who 6A State Champ Pine Richland just 'happened' to have move in last year ....

Comment

How does a public school recruit? I disagree on the facilities. The school district I lived in for a few years when I moved back to Pittsburgh is single A. Grass field. The light poles are so old they were considered unsafe and the district had to move games. The district can't afford to replace them and it appears they still haven't. Unsure what the plan is.

One thing some of the private schools can do is rent facilities. For 50 years Pittsburgh North Catholic played their games at a county park. OLSH plays at Robert Morris. Central Catholic played at Duquesne for a long time but now are at the soccer stadium at Station Square. I imagine upstart Imani Christian is renting too.
                    Pittsburgh North Catholic, despite relocating to Butler County, still plays at North Park. IINM, Vincentian, when they had a team, also played at North Park's stadium. Imani Christian plays their home game at Wilkinsburg's old football stadium.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Look back and see who 6A State Champ Pine Richland just 'happened' to have move in last year ....
                      People move TO Pine Richland. It's a desirable area to live. There's a ton of upscale development going on in the Pine section of Wexford. The region's only Tesla dealership. Again, it's not Gronk to Woodland Hills.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Are certain private schools creating dominant programs by circumventing the transfer rules?

I think the consensus answer to these basic questions is 'yes.'

If you agree that this is happening then you have to ask 'Is it fair?' The answer to that is 'no.'

So, what are you going to do about it? Either the governing body i.e. the PIAA has to tighten the rules and police them better or the public schools being affected need to take a stand

/[/URL]
                        Proof? I hear the hearsay all the time, I have never seen the proof or evidence that it is happening.

Comment

People move TO Pine Richland. It's a desirable area to live. There's a ton of upscale development going on in the Pine section of Wexford. The region's only Tesla dealership. Again, it's not Gronk to Woodland Hills.
                          Yes. But, where is the line drawn? I realize people love the area and major D1 prospects fall out of the sky to move there ... But coincidences only last so long.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Yes. But, where is the line drawn? I realize people love the area and major D1 prospects fall out of the sky to move there ... But coincidences only last so long.
                            Are we still talking about the kid related to the Steeler?

Comment

He's a fluke, per se. But Kenny White?

Comment

I think pretty much Aliquippa and Quaker Valley. I could be wrong but I think Mcnair whos going to CLarion, the LB from Aliquippa that's going to CAL...and the rb/ss kid that played at QV and now going to one of the D2's in WV. I think the only one that was ruled ineligible in that ordeal was because his family put up it on social media that is was about athletics. I think there was a thread on here before about it. I think Aliquippa also had kids from other districts that killed someone last year and when that happened they distanced themselves from those kids as not from Aliquippa.

I don't think its real common for most public schools. I knew schools that would have some over the years but its them trying to cheat....not being allowed to do it and compete with public schools. I don't get how anyone can argue public schools playing private schools is a fair playing field just because some privates don't emphasize sports so they aren't good. Schools like Cathedral Prep in Erie do a good job of overrating their kids to colleges and getting them bigger than they should.....that compared to staying at most pee-on HS's that's coaches don't know or care anything about recruiting.....it makes it an easy sell. The big reason the kid from Seneca just transferred for his sr year to be at Prep....you know what Mischler the HC will do for you....and as long as he does he will get kids pouring in there. I would too. But they should have to be playing the big privates..... I'd like to see the big private school playoff bracket....whoever wins that...I''ll be impressed. Otherwise your PItt and Penn st beating IUP and SRU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X