Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IUP at Ashland Game Thread

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
    All I can say is why the **** can't IUP win out-of-region games against quality competition in the playoffs???
    They did. They beat Assumption last year. Guys that played in both games told me that they thought Assumption was a better team than WFU. Getting behind the eight ball early against WFU was their down fall.

Comment

Ashland coach on the decision to kick the extra point rather than go for two:

"Screwed up, should have gone for two (after the TD) ... before you ask the question ... coached hundreds of games and I got caught up in the excitement of the score," he said. "We've got 10 coaches in the box, with a chart in front of them, and we all missed it.

"As we're getting ready to kick (the PAT), I looked up, man, it's too late. So that was a big coaching mistake. Maybe it changes how we approach the hurry-up offense (since a field goal to force overtime might have been in play). Again, that's on me. I apologized to the team for that. It can't happen."

Comment

I noticed he had a very sharp quick release. The guys doing the game said he had tremendous foot work and I took their opinion on that one. I think he's going to be a difference maker for Ashland.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

"Screwed up, should have gone for two (after the TD) ... before you ask the question ... coached hundreds of games and I got caught up in the excitement of the score," he said. "We've got 10 coaches in the box, with a chart in front of them, and we all missed it.

"As we're getting ready to kick (the PAT), I looked up, man, it's too late. So that was a big coaching mistake. Maybe it changes how we approach the hurry-up offense (since a field goal to force overtime might have been in play). Again, that's on me. I apologized to the team for that. It can't happen."
          Good, stand-up answer. Gotta admit, I did a double-take when he kicked it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
            Experience D-line went up against mostly Freshmen, slow your role just a little. 5 sacks is expected against Freshmen offensive line.
            The Ashland o-line didn't have trouble opening some nice holes for the run game. IUP's D ends are the best I have seen in eight years following IUP. I think they are every bit as good as Markus Martin in his years at SRU. And as folks have pointed out, the secondary looked great. This is a really, really, really good football team.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              Good, stand-up answer. Gotta admit, I did a double-take when he kicked it.

It was a good answer. Nonetheless, ... awful call. I think the whole stadium was in shock. Very odd, as he said, himself and the box all missed it. Baffling, actually. It really changed the complexion of that last drive.

Comment

IUP24, I watched the whole game. I think IUP has a strong team, with a good d-line but we don't know because at the end of the game they let the game look closer than what it really was. Secondary was ok, but I see the potential for being outstanding, again the D-line pressure would make a lot of secondary look good. But IUP has a good team, I wouldn't bet against them anytime soon. Offensive Coordinator could be the biggest flaw for that team. Horrible play calling and predictable.

Comment

Anybody else a little surprised to see Samir Bullock hardly play?

Comment

Could only watch bits and pieces of the game as I am in Mountain Time and was working. Very happy to see IUP get the W. I don't care what anybody says - winning this game is important. Have to get my scoop on the game from the IG, IUP releases and you, the posters. Obviously, surprised to see Ashland getting behind the line to stymie the ground game. I tend to think Ashland is pretty good. We beat them (again) so we passed a big test to start the season. Now, like last year, it's don't look ahead and take one week at a time.

Comment

• Re: IUP at Ashland Game Thread

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                      The Ashland o-line didn't have trouble opening some nice holes for the run game. IUP's D ends are the best I have seen in eight years following IUP. I think they are every bit as good as Markus Martin in his years at SRU. And as folks have pointed out, the secondary looked great. This is a really, really, really good football team.
                      Most of the longer runs looked to be on draw plays or traps. They were good at choosing when to call them too. They also often ran with two pretty good, experienced tight ends.

Comment

At first I was, but after looking at the Ashland D. Most of the time they were selling out to the run. IUP ran 36 times, and passed 28. on pass plays, Evans is a better receiver and Temple a better pass blocker. Add in more planned runs for Lenny this year, and he doesn't play that much. When IUP is back to their normal 2 or 3 to 1 running plays, he will be in alot more.

Comment

Just a suggestion for the head coach ....... assign that responsibility to one assistant coach.

But going for 2 there was so obvious, I'm not sure what to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by goalieman View Post
                            Just a suggestion for the head coach ....... assign that responsibility to one assistant coach.

But going for 2 there was so obvious, I'm not sure what to say.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse ... it's just unfathomable.

I had to look at the clock like three times to try and figure out the logic.

Comment

He was injured early on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X