Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denny Douds retired today??

Re: Denny Douds retired today??

Yep. ESU confirmed it on twitter. Jimmy Terwilliger named interim head coach, effective immediately. Wonder why he isn't finishing out the season?

Comment

Uhhhh not after... during... with 4 seconds left.. they gave ESU a 4th timeout so he could tell his team w 4 seconds left... bizzaro

Comment

Jason Voorhees

Comment

Consider it a stepping down, and not a retiring. No doubt it was one of the more unique non-curtain calls you're ever going to see...
          As he is still a faculty member at ESU, he's not giving up teaching, hence there's no retirement. If you know anything about Denny Douds, he does things his way.

https://esuwarriors.com/news/2018/10...?path=football

Comment

It definitely looks like Douds wanted to make his last ESU game a home game.

Douds had a heck of a coaching career, and it's a shame it ended on such a down note. Kudos to him for his many successes. Terwilliger has big shoes to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
              It definitely looks like Douds wanted to make his last ESU game a home game.

Douds had a heck of a coaching career, and it's a shame it ended on such a down note. Kudos to him for his many successes. Terwilliger has big shoes to fill.
              As much as I respect Denny Douds -- and I do -- Terwilliger had big shoes to fill if this happened 15 years ago. Today, it's not a drop-off.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                As much as I respect Denny Douds -- and I do -- Terwilliger had big shoes to fill if this happened 15 years ago. Today, it's not a drop-off.
                I realize the scale (and for that matter the circumstances) is/are different, but Bill O'Brien had big shoes to fill when he replaced (or essentially replaced) Joe Paterno, even though Paterno was largely a figurehead coach his last few seasons at Penn State.

Comment

Originally posted by HeftyLefty View Post
                  Uhhhh not after... during... with 4 seconds left.. they gave ESU a 4th timeout so he could tell his team w 4 seconds left... bizzaro

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                    Funny you say that, since 15 years ago Terwilliger was the one Harlon Hill-ing it up for Douds. :wink:

Comment

He announced it w/ :04 left. The gift TO was to give a quick final word to the team. My understanding was he had made his mind up early this week

Comment

I'll be the team played their guts out for their coach in those final four seconds...

I don't understand that, but in the end it doesn't matter. After all those years of service to ESU, Division II, the PSAC and PASSHE, he's earned the privilege of walking away in whatever way he wants. I would have thought he would complete the season, but having his last game be at home probably means a lot to him and this gives the team a couple of weeks to work under Jimmy T's direction and see if they feel he is the right fit for the gig. And he undoubtedly is.

Comment

He shaved a couple of more losses off his career record.

Comment

Congratulations on a great coaching career. Admittedly, it was always fun to beat him and the ESU Warriors. Best wishes from a longtime Bloomsburg Huskies loyalist.

Comment

Congrats on a historical and great career for Denny Douds. While many may not appreciate him running the score up on inferior opponents within conference play, I respect him for running a pretty clean program for the most part and also bringing excitement to the PSAC with the Jimmy T Jr years culminating in that run to the Regional Finals in Grand Rapids where they ran into a juggernaut Grand Valley State program. We'll see if the official coaching change brings upon any changes to the programs fundraising for scholarships and better success on the field as they've been a bottom of the East team for the last 3 years with only Cheyney and Millersville playing worst.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X