X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Haven at IUP

Game Week has finally arrived.

Let it rip.

First thing is who starts. Offense is pretty clear, I think, except for maybe one of the OL. Defense, more of a question, especially at DB, depending on how some of the new transfers did in camp.

New Haven lost their star QB, but also has a new transfer QB from New Hampshire- only one other QB played at all last year, like 1 pass. the QB will be a real question for them. They also look like they lost a lot on defense. Hopefully IUP's experienced Offense, and new QB can take advantage of the inexperience.

Comment

I can't make any bold predictions. I just want to see how a lot of different players perform. After 4 years of the great Lenny Williams we get to see a new QB who is new to the program. How will they use Duane Brown? The debut of Adam Houser. The OL? The DL? Virtually all positions are a little bit of a mystery. Even the punter. Hope we don't need him too much.

Comment

If you value the opinion of the experts on this site ...

* 38 of 39 Pick 'Em participants have taken IUP in the PSAC version of the contest. JrShooter is the lone member to take New Haven.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

* 38 of 39 Pick 'Em participants have taken IUP in the PSAC version of the contest. JrShooter is the lone member to take New Haven.
          That surprises me. I think IUP will have its hands full with UNH.

Comment

My items for this Saturday:

* Start Fast - Tort's teams have, for whatever reason, had numerous slow starts during his tenure -- in particularly, oddly, at Miller Stadium. They should have a nice crowd to play in front of this Saturday ... get it engaged early. Break your guests' spirit in that first 15 minutes.

* Sideline - Last year it was a circus with bickering, tantrums, etc. I think many members of the circus left town. However, we'll find out when some adversity hits.

* Play Calling - Maxwell gives them the ability to really open things up down field (and with his legs). Hopefully running up the middle all game are a thing of the past (especially with a stable to 180 lb. speed backs).

* Personal Fouls - Sour subject the past couple seasons. Disciplined teams walk away from stuff. In particular, you typically get the more 'LIT AF' mentality on kick-off and kick-return. Nothing burns a coach more than a kick cover guy routinely getting personal fouls for after-the-whistle garbage.

* Mentality - This game is every bit as big as the past two openers with Ashland. First games are typically ugly for both teams -- lots of penalties, false starts, off-sides, etc. IUP has a lot of guys who have played in a lot of big games. Let's see them stay cool and collected when something inevitably goes wrong. They also aren't starting the year off with lofty rankings and preseason All-Americans. I expect to see a little 'disrespected' tenacity with this bunch. That's a good thing.

* DL - Dondrea Tillman will probably draw double teams all day (and season). That puts others down there in one-on-ones, etc. Let's see who is going to rise up. They have some big, mean guys on that line. Saturday is payday.

Comment

Not feeling good about that, either. That could be a shift by tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Not feeling good about that, either. That could be a shift by tomorrow.
                Not so fast! I don't feel so hot about picking IUP. First, they were not able to acquire the "Can't Miss" WR transfer from Penn State. And I am very concern with the defense, particularly the secondary. I may change my pick tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Not so fast! I don't feel so hot about picking IUP. First, they were not able to acquire the "Can't Miss" WR transfer from Penn State. And I am very concern with the defense, particularly the secondary. I may change my pick tomorrow.
                  I've recently been told by someone very close to the program that the defensive concerns are very real.

But, it's not so much the secondary. They think that is an actual strength.

Comment

I've recently been told by someone very close to the program that the defensive concerns are very real.

But, it's not so much the secondary. They think that is an actual strength.
                    the DBs might be really good - But its a question since many have not played at IUP yet - will they gel ? . I suppose its a problem if the DL did not improve from last year. Mitchell and Fisher we're highly touted, but haven't lived up to the hype quite yet, they are still young, so I guess we will see this Saturday.

Comment

For me it was a toss-up and I gave the tiebreaker to the home squad. But if New Haven wins, without any slight to IUP, that wouldn't surprise me. New Haven is a great choice for a non-conference game if you have playoff expectations. Playing an SOS anchor to work out kinks and guarantee a win doesn't do you much good in November.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

For me it was a toss-up and I gave the tiebreaker to the home squad. But if New Haven wins, without any slight to IUP, that wouldn't surprise me. New Haven is a great choice for a non-conference game if you have playoff expectations. Playing an SOS anchor to work out kinks and guarantee a win doesn't do you much good in November.
                        I agree to an extent. Wins still always seem to override losses on Selection Day.

Meaning Cal's win over St. Freebie would still be viewed better than an IUP 'close' loss against a good team.

This could be a major problem for IUP if it loses Saturday. I don't see them sweeping the West. Two losses and you're at the mercy of other factors. Three losses and it's banquet season (in almost all years).

The big opener is great and dangerous at the same time. Make no mistake ... this is a BIG game.

Comment

I agree to an extent. Wins still always seem to override losses on Selection Day.

Meaning Cal's win over St. Freebie would still be viewed better than an IUP 'close' loss against a good team.

This could be a major problem for IUP if it loses Saturday. I don't see them sweeping the West. Two losses and you're at the mercy of other factors. Three losses and it's banquet season (in almost all years).

The big opener is great and dangerous at the same time. Make no mistake ... this is a BIG game.
                          Totally agree. Hopefully the students and community show up (and pack that tailgate area).

Comment

May be good for their basketball program. Football at Kansas ... yikes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X