Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I've recently been told by someone very close to the program that the defensive concerns are very real.

But, it's not so much the secondary. They think that is an actual strength.
    After listening to the Coach Tort Show ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJboH9afQ5U& ) and reading Matt's story ( https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...83fac3455.html ) I am thinking they believe the secondary is a strength as far as depth is concern because they believe they have 3 Freshmen/RS Freshmen can come in and the play whatever their back up position is and play won't drop off that much. However, how well are those starters are playing right now?

I read today's IUP Football web site article (https://iupathletics.com/news/2019/9...new-haven.aspx ) and I see the transfer from Youngstown St is starting at the free safety spot while last year's part time starting CB Kyeer Geisinger is now the starting Star. I just hope the 155lbs Geisinger can support the run from the Star spot.

Comment

I've recently been told by someone very close to the program that the defensive concerns are very real.

But, it's not so much the secondary. They think that is an actual strength.
      D-line has a lot to prove. This was not a good group last year, which makes life a lot harder on the LBs.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

D-line has a lot to prove. This was not a good group last year, which makes life a lot harder on the LBs.

The LBs concern me a bit. Obviously you have the likely All-America in Damon Lloyd and a very solid Nick Amendola. Beyond that, however, only 5 more are listed on the roster (and 3 of those are true freshmen).

I'd have rather had another LB on the roster instead of 5 K/P's.

Comment

Imagine the NEC being your goal...:bulgy-eyes:

Comment

The LBs concern me a bit. Obviously you have the likely All-America in Damon Lloyd and a very solid Nick Amendola. Beyond that, however, only 5 more are listed on the roster (and 3 of those are true freshmen).

I'd have rather had another LB on the roster instead of 5 K/P's.
            That's pretty thin. One injury away from a lot of uncertainty.

Comment

Knowing what we know ...

IUP wins the toss Saturday ... are you taking the ball or kicking?

I'd love to know how much thought and time goes in to this small but big decision.

Comment

Knowing what we know ...

I'd love to know how much thought and time goes in to this small but big decision.
                I would want to get the Offense on the field as soon as possible. Start grinding it out. Take the ball.

Comment

Knowing what we know ...

Take the ball. Get into the flow of the game. New Haven presents some challenges by getting guys in space and there's an adjustment that has to be made to get to game speed. Ideally you get the ball and at least put the defense in a position where the guys can get their legs. Better yet, just go up 7-0 and roll from there. That looks great on paper.

Comment

Comment

Do you expect New Haven to travel well for this game? Obviously it's a pretty long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Take the ball. Get into the flow of the game. New Haven presents some challenges by getting guys in space and there's an adjustment that has to be made to get to game speed. Ideally you get the ball and at least put the defense in a position where the guys can get their legs. Better yet, just go up 7-0 and roll from there. That looks great on paper.
                        Getting the ball first is bigger risk, maybe bigger pay off. If your new QB makes a statement, and leads an opening drive for a TD, its a big advantage. If you don't, your on your heals. But New Haven will have a new QB too, and there has been little buzz about any of the prospects. Maybe give them the ball first, and try to rattle the new QB into making a mistake. You already know who their playmakers are, in fact Streeter played against their star WR last year. And then, you have the advantage of getting the ball first in the 2nd half, After you have had time to look at the New haven defense, which will have many new faces and after the new QB is in the rhythm of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Getting the ball first is bigger risk, maybe bigger pay off. If your new QB makes a statement, and leads an opening drive for a TD, its a big advantage. If you don't, your on your heals. But New Haven will have a new QB too, and there has been little buzz about any of the prospects. Maybe give them the ball first, and try to rattle the new QB into making a mistake. You already know who their playmakers are, in fact Streeter played against their star WR last year. And then, you have the advantage of getting the ball first in the 2nd half, After you have had time to look at the New haven defense, which will have many new faces and after the new QB is in the rhythm of the game.
                          I normally wouldn't post such a question but in this case it is an interesting discussion on the decision. Of course, we'll probably lose the coin toss and it won't matter.

IUP does have some legit 'house call' guys returning kicks this year. With so few D2 kickers putting the ball in the endzone that is a consideration. No better way to start a season than the opening kick going to the house (except if you are the one paying out that $50k).

Tort's a D guy. Kicking off wouldn't surprise me. Coaches all believe in making that statement.

Comment

If I would win the toss I would defer to the 2nd half, if you can in D-II. I would want my defense on the field against their new QB. Force the 3-and-out to get our All PSAC-West returner on the field to flip the field position and give our new QB a more favorable field position to work with.

Comment

Do you expect New Haven to travel well for this game? Obviously it's a pretty long haul.
                              No idea - they've never been a big school for traveling to games. It was a commuter school when I went there though. If it's like it was when I was there (long ago to remember that IUP was the Indians when NH played them), they'll probably charter a bus or two for students and a few others will drive. It's a haul for me to get out there, and I live in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

It's a haul for me to get out there, and I live in PA.
                                That's pretty much the consensus of the entire PSAC East. ;)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X