Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Virtually all criticism of Wolf's handling of the situation is purely political. The truth is Wolf has followed, almost to the letter, what the other governors have done.

Most of the criticism has been from rural Republicans. Unfortunately, the virus is now starting to creep into their areas and it ain't going back to the cities.

Golf courses - a prime target for the naysayers. Social distancing while playing? Yes, maybe. In the clubhouse? Traveling to and from? Not essential to do. Sorry.

Public transportation is a real dilemma. However, transit systems around the country have remained open (I'm aware that 3 SEPTA employees have died). But the argument is that they needed to remain open for people to get to their essential jobs. In many neighborhoods, people need public transportation just to stay alive, get necessities to sustain life, food, medications, etc. So, that's a real problem. The bottom line is Wolf did the same as other governors from both sides of the aisle.
    Perhaps. However your question wasn't how Wolf's policies compared to other governors, just what he had done to warrant criticism.

Regarding golf courses - a prime target for class envy. The point is, the governor just shut them down without giving the owners/operators a chance to consider how they could alter their business (close the clubhouse, mandate that people travel to and from independently since you thought that was an issue) or patrons the decision to go there or not. Because the governor "just knows better" than individual people. Tell all the people that are not working that they're not essential.
    Last edited by Horror Child; 05-01-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

So, you agree with Lt. Governor Dan Patrick that there "are more important things than living" and that people 70 and over should be willing to sacrifice their lives? If so, we see things quite a bit different.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=there+...NGA3dT&plvar=0
      So you disagree with Patrick Henry?

Just to put the snippet that you selected into context for everyone else:
      Let me know where Dan Patrick or anyone said that people 70 and over should be willing to sacrifice their lives. Although we've had many thousands of people over the past couple of hundred years sacrifice their lives for our freedom. You're welcome.

The fundamental issue is governmental control over individual liberty. On that, I do suspect that we see things quite differently.

Comment

Meanwhile, Wolf lifted some restrictions in the Northwestern and North Central parts of the state effective (from KDKA-TV/Pittsburgh):

Bradford, Cameron, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, Lycoming, McKean, Mercer, Montour, Northumberland, Potter, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga, Union, Venango and Warren.

That's pretty much north of I-80 but roughly west of 476/81 (give or take a couple counties) - including New Castle, but not Slippery Rock or Butler County.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          Meanwhile, Wolf lifted some restrictions in the Northwestern and North Central parts of the state effective (from KDKA-TV/Pittsburgh):

Bradford, Cameron, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Jefferson, Lawrence, Lycoming, McKean, Mercer, Montour, Northumberland, Potter, Snyder, Sullivan, Tioga, Union, Venango and Warren.

That's pretty much north of I-80 but roughly west of 476/81 (give or take a couple counties) - including New Castle, but not Slippery Rock or Butler County.
          That's because Butler County and Slippery Rock are below I-80.

Comment

Getting back to sports, I suspect some next year will be played without crowds or within limits. I'm not a young person and certainly won't be attending events until I see much more evidence that a) new cases are almost down to zero over an extended period and testing is being done, or b) a vaccine that is at least fairly effective has been developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
              Getting back to sports, I suspect some next year will be played without crowds or within limits. I'm not a young person and certainly won't be attending events until I see much more evidence that a) new cases are almost down to zero over an extended period and testing is being done, or b) a vaccine that is at least fairly effective has been developed.
              That's a sports post, lol? Unfortunately, coronavirus is happening and sports is not.

When this happened it was during one of those times of the year when there is a confluence of sports seasons. For me, the NCAA Wrestling Championships were coming up, IUP had MBB and WBB perched atop the region going into the regional tourney, spring football camps were on the horizon, and major league and minor league baseball was right around the corner.

What I have found out about myself that all of these avocations we have are secondary to our survival and health and well-being.

Stay positive but recognize what it is we are dealing with.

Comment

Get used to being on your couches...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wh...&ICID=ref_fark

Comment

That's a sports post, lol? Unfortunately, coronavirus is happening and sports is not.

When this happened it was during one of those times of the year when there is a confluence of sports seasons. For me, the NCAA Wrestling Championships were coming up, IUP had MBB and WBB perched atop the region going into the regional tourney, spring football camps were on the horizon, and major league and minor league baseball was right around the corner.

What I have found out about myself that all of these avocations we have are secondary to our survival and health and well-being.

Stay positive but recognize what it is we are dealing with.
                  I recognize very well what we are dealing with. It's hard not to, although some certainly seem to be trying.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X