Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If I was betting ... best odds of a football season would probably be in the second semester. There's certainly a chance football and basketball could run simultaneously -- along with the rest of the non-revenue sports.
    In some areas football could be played simultaneously with b-ball, but in the Northeast, the Great Plains, and upper Midwest that would be dicey!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJay View Post

In some areas football could be played simultaneously with b-ball, but in the Northeast, the Great Plains, and upper Midwest that would be dicey!
      If they'd go with a spring schedule you could have Week 1 in early March. Training camp in late Jan or early February outside would be a treat. As of now, I just cannot see any possible way they play on schedule in the Fall. It would be an athletic department nightmare with essentially every sport playing at the same time. They'd have to bulk up their staffs to handle it.

Comment

Possibly. The rest of the country would not go along with this plan, however. And what about Div II NCAA championship playoffs?

Comment

Well, the states choosing to re-open may be re-closing shortly thereafter. Of course, the Las Vegas mayor says she's all for survival of the fittest. Who knows. In these odd times perhaps each league just plays its own season with no national playoffs, etc. But, without a cure or vaccine, it really just seems like a pipe dream.
          I wonder just how "fit' the illustrious mayor Of Las VEgas is?? Gotta wonder!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueJay View Post

I wonder just how "fit' the illustrious mayor Of Las VEgas is?? Gotta wonder!!
            She isn't "fit." She proved that in her CNN interview.

I lived in Vegas between '05 and '08. Her husband, Oscar Goodman, was the mayor then. He was so successful and well-liked that his wife became Mayor after him.. The Goodman's have been the Mayor since 1999. Oscar was famous for being flanked by two showgirls whenever he made an announcement or held a meeting. At one point it became an issue, because the showgirl gigs were at the public expense and it added up to a lot of money. The verdict to that was that it represented the City of Las Vegas so appropriately that it was worth the expense.

The fact is if you want a disease to spread throughout the United States as quickly as possible, start it in Vegas. Luckily, the Strip workers (represented by their unions) rejected her ideas in no uncertain terms.

BTW, the Goodman's have strong ties to Philadelphia. Of course, Oscar Goodman is known as being the lawyer to the mob. He is a Philadelphian. His wife is a native New Yorker; however, they met when she was a student at Bryn Mawr and he was a student at Haverford College.

You can file this under "for people who want to know."

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              It is. Here in Texas the state is opening up Friday. Once you let the cat out of the bag I think the people will lose all discipline. Not all, but many. Of course, last week the stable genius Lieutenant Governor said " there are more important things than living" as justification for opening up. I think we're in deep trouble. The only difference between now and when it started is that the health system can handle more cases.
              I sense sarcasm. There was a guy a few years ago who said something like "give me liberty or give me death". You can look it up.

Which leads to
              I'm not in PA so maybe I don't see it but what is it that Tom Wolf has done to warrant all the criticism?
              The governor in Pennsylvania ordered "non-essential" businesses to close. That excluded beer distributors (okay, I know some of you would argue that they're essential) and Wolf Home Products (no, the name is not a coincidence), makers of kitchen cabinets. In the age of social distancing, golf courses, often designated as open spaces, were ordered closed whereas densely populated public transportation continued to run.

Comment

Has IUP learned NOTHING over the past 10 years?! That open week could bite you again...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                  Has IUP learned NOTHING over the past 10 years?! That open week could bite you again...
                  Their theory is they play road games at Kutztown, Shepherd and Cal ... and host SRU. The SOS won't be an issue. The year it bit them their crossover was really weak.

Tort also refused to take a road game in Week 1 ... and, not many want to come here in non-conference to take a beating.

Comment

If they'd go with a spring schedule you could have Week 1 in early March. Training camp in late Jan or early February outside would be a treat. As of now, I just cannot see any possible way they play on schedule in the Fall. It would be an athletic department nightmare with essentially every sport playing at the same time. They'd have to bulk up their staffs to handle it.
                    What makes you feel so strongly that things will not be able to open up on schedule in the fall? Football in spring would create too many challenges to be a real possibility. We are closer to seeing football in the fall as planned than we are to seeing a spring schedule. There will be football in the fall in some capacity outside of a strong rebound of the virus due to states reopening, the only question is if it will be a modified/abbreviated schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

I sense sarcasm. There was a guy a few years ago who said something like "give me liberty or give me death". You can look it up.
                      So, you agree with Lt. Governor Dan Patrick that there "are more important things than living" and that people 70 and over should be willing to sacrifice their lives? If so, we see things quite a bit different.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=there+...NGA3dT&plvar=0

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

The governor in Pennsylvania ordered "non-essential" businesses to close. That excluded beer distributors (okay, I know some of you would argue that they're essential) and Wolf Home Products (no, the name is not a coincidence), makers of kitchen cabinets. In the age of social distancing, golf courses, often designated as open spaces, were ordered closed whereas densely populated public transportation continued to run.
                        Virtually all criticism of Wolf's handling of the situation is purely political. The truth is Wolf has followed, almost to the letter, what the other governors have done.

Most of the criticism has been from rural Republicans. Unfortunately, the virus is now starting to creep into their areas and it ain't going back to the cities.

Golf courses - a prime target for the naysayers. Social distancing while playing? Yes, maybe. In the clubhouse? Traveling to and from? Not essential to do. Sorry.

Public transportation is a real dilemma. However, transit systems around the country have remained open (I'm aware that 3 SEPTA employees have died). But the argument is that they needed to remain open for people to get to their essential jobs. In many neighborhoods, people need public transportation just to stay alive, get necessities to sustain life, food, medications, etc. So, that's a real problem. The bottom line is Wolf did the same as other governors from both sides of the aisle.

Comment

I saw his interview live the day he made it. I understood that it was the way he personally felt about his life and not that of all seniors. He was willing to (or at least chance it) sacrifice his life if it meant saving the economy and the future of the younger generations ability to maintain America as the leader of the free world.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post

What makes you feel so strongly that things will not be able to open up on schedule in the fall? Football in spring would create too many challenges to be a real possibility. We are closer to seeing football in the fall as planned than we are to seeing a spring schedule. There will be football in the fall in some capacity outside of a strong rebound of the virus due to states reopening, the only question is if it will be a modified/abbreviated schedule.
                            My opinion is once PA starts to re-open ... the virus will have a major rally. Yes, it slowed down, but that's because we've been living like hermits for 40 days. Once the gates are open ...

Comment

Virtually all criticism of Wolf's handling of the situation is purely political. The truth is Wolf has followed, almost to the letter, what the other governors have done.

Most of the criticism has been from rural Republicans. Unfortunately, the virus is now starting to creep into their areas and it ain't going back to the cities.

Golf courses - a prime target for the naysayers. Social distancing while playing? Yes, maybe. In the clubhouse? Traveling to and from? Not essential to do. Sorry.

Public transportation is a real dilemma. However, transit systems around the country have remained open (I'm aware that 3 SEPTA employees have died). But the argument is that they needed to remain open for people to get to their essential jobs. In many neighborhoods, people need public transportation just to stay alive, get necessities to sustain life, food, medications, etc. So, that's a real problem. The bottom line is Wolf did the same as other governors from both sides of the aisle.
                              I think some criticism is fair. There are some questions about which specific businesses received waivers. The types of businesses allowed weren't consistent with other states.

Overall, I support the stay at home order. The details and execution could have been better.

Comment

My opinion is once PA starts to re-open ... the virus will have a major rally. Yes, it slowed down, but that's because we've been living like hermits for 40 days. Once the gates are open ...
                                gotcha, makes sense, the hope is that doesn't happen lol. I think a little rebound should be expected but I think things will be much different with the impact as we get into June/July. Not to mention the progress that will be made on therapeutics 4-6-8 weeks down the road. The stay at home orders were two fold, slow the spread/buy time to apply what we can learn from the data/research to move forward on how to approach living with this thing until a vaccine is available. The alternative is just not an option...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X