Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Depends where the students come from. Temple is by far Philly students where there's no significant difference in crime rate, in fact IUP competes for students with Temple. now if the students come from the Northern and Eastern Suburbs of the Burgh, or the small towns in western and central PA, it sure does matter.
    Temple is just not kids from the city. You are also assuming every street in Philadelphia is crime ridden which is a myth too.

Plenty of kids from the suburbs go to Temple. A lot of them live on the streets by the campus.

Maybe yinzers live in constant fear...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

That's a crock of ****! Population decline my ass!!!
      Only one county in Western PA has a population increase and that Butler County. Centre County is another growing island. The only growing counties are in Southeastern and South Central PA.

Comment

Depends where the students come from. Temple is by far Philly students where there's no significant difference in crime rate, in fact IUP competes for students with Temple. now if the students come from the Northern and Eastern Suburbs of the Burgh, or the small towns in western and central PA, it sure does matter.
        I don't feel like looking up the numbers now but many years ago Temple stopped giving preference to Philly city students. It was a big positive for the school's image but a lot of city leaders felt they were selling out the city. I believe it's actually in the original school charter that it serves students from within Philadelphia. They decided to abandon that. But still a high % are from Philly.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Temple is just not kids from the city. You are also assuming every street in Philadelphia is crime ridden which is a myth too.

Plenty of kids from the suburbs go to Temple. A lot of them live on the streets by the campus.

Maybe yinzers live in constant fear...

Temple is no different than Oakland (Pittsburgh). You have Pitt and Carnegie Mellon right beside each other. A couple miles over is Duquesne.

By and large, however, I don't think IUP is competing much with those schools (certainly not Carnegie Mellon). Of the 'state schools' IUP competes with for students, ... IUP is the one constantly getting bad press in Western PA. But, hey, if you have three stabbings, two shootings and a murder prior to Halloween ... you deserve some bad press.

Is it a major factor in IUP hitting the ice berg? Probably not. It's probably just one on a long list. But, every body counts at this point.

I will always believe if they can get a kid here, they should land him/her. The campus and town sells itself (compared to the immediate competition). I'd really put an emphasis on that 'first impression' tour of campus. You need sales people (of sorts) in many ways. People need to feel wanted here. Red carpet. The days of Johnny Frat having a part-time job leading tours around campus need to end. Let the campus sell the kids. Let the trained recruiters sell Mom and Dad.

A lot of us have been to many of the campuses we compete with for students. Que the bias but IUP should clobber them in what they have to sell. It's not even close in many comparisons.

We're losing kids to the PSU and Pitt bum-duck campuses. Has anybody every been to Penn State-Altoona or Pitt-Greensburg? Goodness. Close the freaking deal. I know they get that slightly fancier diploma ... but they also have go to 13th grade in the far corner of Greensburg.

You need, to an extent, the same tenacity recruiting 'students' today as when you recruit 'student-athletes'.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Temple is no different than Oakland (Pittsburgh). .
            In terms of crime that is not true. Temple is located in one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods of Philadelphia. I would be surprised if there are any neighborhoods in Pittsburgh as bad as North Philly when it comes to crime. Nothing to brag about. Just sayin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

That's a crock of ****! Population decline my ass!!!
              You can zoom into PA.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/u-s...nty-2010-2018/

Comment

• IUP program cuts and changes: https://www.iup.edu/news-events/acad...ture/programs/

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  Thanks for posting that. Have to say that I have never even heard of a lot of them but I guess I have not been a student there for nearly 20 years now.

Okay, I guess my next question is what does the term "Moratorium" that they bandy about mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Thanks for posting that. Have to say that I have never even heard of a lot of them but I guess I have not been a student there for nearly 20 years now.

Okay, I guess my next question is what does the term "Moratorium" that they bandy about mean?
                    In my experience "moratorium" means we don't really have any good idea how to solve a problem but we'd rather not tell you that right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

In my experience "moratorium" means we don't really have any good idea how to solve a problem but we'd rather not tell you that right now.
                      LOL. Sounds like the two chumps running for president and just about everybody else seeking office.

Comment

LOL. Sounds like the two chumps running for president and just about everybody else seeking office.
                        If you throw enough sh!t against the wall ... some of it just may stick.

Comment

It means no more students will be enrolled in the program, but currrent students will be allowed to complete the program. And it remains on the books so if they want to bring it back later - yes, it a political word for ending a program, but maybe not, if there is too much trouble, or turns out to have been a mistake.

Comment

It means no more students will be enrolled in the program, but currrent students will be allowed to complete the program. And it remains on the books so if they want to bring it back later - yes, it a political word for ending a program, but maybe not, if there is too much trouble, or turns out to have been a mistake.
                            So, if an Art student (for example) wants to finish his Art degree here rather than transfer ... will there be anybody left to actually teach the classes?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So, if an Art student (for example) wants to finish his Art degree here rather than transfer ... will there be anybody left to actually teach the classes?
                              Yes. Faculty are then strategically laid off based on needs for students to finish the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Yes. Faculty are then strategically laid off based on needs for students to finish the program.
                                Sounds fantastic for the student experience. I'd assume they will all leave (students).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X