X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think its similar to basketball - coaches don't mind as much because you're paying for a player who has already adjusted to playing at the college level, be that FBS or JUCO. So you pay a little more but you have a better idea of how well that player fits into your plan. Nothing worse than wasting money on a freshman who isn't ready to play, study, or live.
    Or, the all-too-familiar freshman who came to your school as a last resort even though his Uncle Dale told him he is SEC-caliber. Then he (and, Uncle Dale) pi$$ and moan for a year and then leave in December.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
    It sounds like these transfer portal players are making D2 expensive. That's probably a fairly new dimension for coaches, trying to balance money for players between the influx of transfers and building for the future with true freshman recruits. Or maybe it's been like that for a while but the salient feature of the transfer portal just makes it easier for those outside the football programs to see and follow the transfer flows?
    I think its similar to basketball - coaches don't mind as much because you're paying for a player who has already adjusted to playing at the college level, be that FBS or JUCO. So you pay a little more but you have a better idea of how well that player fits into your plan. Nothing worse than wasting money on a freshman who isn't ready to play, study, or live.

Leave a comment:

• IUPMonk
    replied
    It sounds like these transfer portal players are making D2 expensive. That's probably a fairly new dimension for coaches, trying to balance money for players between the influx of transfers and building for the future with true freshman recruits. Or maybe it's been like that for a while but the salient feature of the transfer portal just makes it easier for those outside the football programs to see and follow the transfer flows?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I assume they will add at least (1) WR transfer.

They have Duane, Ridley and Carter coming back. They also have Luke Hardy in the program (Redshirt, Covid Year, Medical Redshirt). He's a big kid at 6'3" or 6'4" and was considered a big recruiting get several years ago. He'll be the somewhat rare player entering his fourth year in Indiana but will be a football freshman in the Fall.

I wanted them to jump on Zinobile the day after he announced on Twitter 40 days ago. Now, they'd be (at least) the 5th dog at the bowl. But, with that type of competition, he's probably going to require a full ride (or, real close) to land him. Not sure they'll want to tie up a full equivalency on another WR when there are some other -- probably more pressing -- areas of need.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    Not sure where everyone got so high on Leiby. It's quite a projection from his stats at Bloom to just say it's because he was at Bloom. I cant see IUP putting the 2022 season on a guy that had OK stats in the psac to this point. If he would end up at IUP it would be because they need 2 for next year because no one currently there is ever going to be the guy. You take two and dont really care who ends up being the guy. Someone has to be the backup. They wont tell either QB that shows up that youre the backup until as late as possible.

Maybe I'm wrong. But we will see where his offers come from.
    I totally agree with you. I don't understand how people are putting him on a pedestal so high.

I agree that his HS stats don't mean anything. He was surrounded by the best players and that was a long time ago.

His only college season starting in 2019 was solid, not great.

I'm pretty sure IUP can and will go out and get transfer prospects better than Logan Leiby. I'm not so sure I wouldn't take Javon Davis over Leiby.

Leave a comment:

• BloomFan0102
    replied

More power to him. I saw him in 2019 some and thought he showed potential. HS stats mean absolutely nothing. I wish him the best. But talking about full psac rides and being the guy at IUP seems a little far off considering. Like I said maybe I'll be wrong and he will be taking IUP to the playoffs next year. I'll be happy to be wrong. I'm for the players moving to where they feel is best for their college careers. You only get one.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

More power to him. I saw him in 2019 some and thought he showed potential. HS stats mean absolutely nothing. I wish him the best. But talking about full psac rides and being the guy at IUP seems a little far off considering. Like I said maybe I'll be wrong and he will be taking IUP to the playoffs next year. I'll be happy to be wrong. I'm for the players moving to where they feel is best for their college careers. You only get one.
    Well, they (IUP) contacted him pretty quickly so they have some interest. We'll see if they offer.

There's lots of examples of guys moving from lesser programs and becoming stars with a better team. Bloom probably has a much better 2021 had they had him.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    Originally posted by BloomFan0102 View Post

He is a transfer?
    He's a transfer from below IUP. That's not gonna work.

He will get bumped over by a D1 transfer. sorry for not being clear.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Not sure where everyone got so high on Leiby. It's quite a projection from his stats at Bloom to just say it's because he was at Bloom. I cant see IUP putting the 2022 season on a guy that had OK stats in the psac to this point. If he would end up at IUP it would be because they need 2 for next year because no one currently there is ever going to be the guy. You take two and dont really care who ends up being the guy. Someone has to be the backup. They wont tell either QB that shows up that youre the backup until as late as possible.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied

Maybe I'm wrong. But we will see where his offers come from.
    Last edited by EdinboroFB; 11-23-2021, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Footballfanofall
    replied
    Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Remember his coach at Bloom that brought him in and Tort are long time friends and even worked together under FC. Just a nugget that usually means something in these scenarios.
    IUP were one of the schools that reached out to Leiby. I cannot comment on the matter anymore than that. All I can say is that they would be crazy not to do whatever it takes to get him there. He would definitely make a positive impact and would be a good fit for their offense.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Remember his coach at Bloom that brought him in and Tort are long time friends and even worked together under FC. Just a nugget that usually means something in these scenarios.
    Very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

More I've looked at him I think he would be a good fit at IUP. Wonder if they've been in touch yet?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X