Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Per PSAC press release if you can get 6 schools to participate the fall sports can go on.

Leave a comment:

• Wcball00
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There's only one school we know of officially not playing football.

The rest at least think they are playing as of Nov. 11.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's only one school we know of officially not playing football.

The rest at least think they are playing as of Nov. 11.

Leave a comment:

• Wcball00
    replied
    The two missing from the roster (I waited to see if updated) are Duane Brown and Nazir Streater.

Not exactly two minor players. That's your best offensive player and best defensive player.

I think most know about one of them. But, in a season not counting against eligibility ... kind of odd neither name is even on the roster.

Brown is on campus. I'd fully understand not risking him in the Spring, but the omission is odd.

Any word here in cyber space?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The two missing from the roster (I waited to see if updated) are Duane Brown and Nazir Streater.

Not exactly two minor players. That's your best offensive player and best defensive player.

I think most know about one of them. But, in a season not counting against eligibility ... kind of odd neither name is even on the roster.

Brown is on campus. I'd fully understand not risking him in the Spring, but the omission is odd.

Any word here in cyber space?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP has an updated roster on the web site. Unless I'm missing something (or maybe blind) ... there are two very big names not on it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yeah, this has been the nicest Fall in some time. I've thought the same thing the last few weekends, wouldn't it be nice to go to an IUP football game today.
    It made me kind of laugh yesterday. We've sat through some nasty November games at Miller.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Gotta love it. No football season and it's a Saturday in November ... and 73 degrees and sunny.
    Yeah, this has been the nicest Fall in some time. I've thought the same thing the last few weekends, wouldn't it be nice to go to an IUP football game today.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Gotta love it. No football season and it's a Saturday in November ... and 73 degrees and sunny.

Leave a comment:

• IUPMonk
    replied
    If the games are meaningless then don't play the games. Otherwise they mean something and your best players play with them and the program excepting the inherent risk of injury that puts them out for a 10 or 11 game plus playoff fall season.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

It's a tough call. If you're just playing four games for the sake of playing four games ... fact is people will get hurt. That's football. Do you want to risk a star? Do you really want a Duane Brown type of player playing meaningless games? Any serious injury (knee or something) likely wouldn't be healed by the Fall (for when the games actually count). That said, I'm sure the kids will be chomping at the bit to get on the field. If a coach gets a star hurt in a throw-away game ... he'll never hear the end of it.

If it is just four games and no champion awarded, etc., ... it should give IUP a great chance to settle the QB issue on the field. Let each start two games or something. I'm not convinced Davis is out of the mix. I know most seem to think Mr. Akron has it in the bag.
    i agree in that I probably do not want players of the calibre of Touchdown Duane Brown on the field if the games are truly meaningless. It is a fine line that coaches will have to walk here.

I like the term Mr. Akron. LOL.

I just hope that IUP keeps the rich pedigree of great QB play going. Lenny and Maxwell both were in that mold of what the great IUP signal callers of the past brought to the program. I still would like to punch that idiot Jim Haslett in the face for the 2014 nightmare that he helped to author.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Yeah, it would be glorified spring football. But it can be a good teaching tool and even a good way for the studs to sharpen the spear of their game after a whole year of no spring ball, fall camp and no season.

If I was running things I would go for a USFL theme since it is spring football. IUP as the LA Express. Boro as the Memphis Showboats, Rock as the Houston Gamblers, Clarion as the Pittsburgh Maulers, Cal as the New Jersey Generals (complete with an orange haired buffoon in a business suit on the sideline), Lock as the Washington Federals, Seton Hill as the Portland Breakers, Gannon as the Denver Gold and Mercy as the Oakland Invaders.

This would really add an extra element to things....at least for people 50 and over. All the young folks would be saying huh?

It's a tough call. If you're just playing four games for the sake of playing four games ... fact is people will get hurt. That's football. Do you want to risk a star? Do you really want a Duane Brown type of player playing meaningless games? Any serious injury (knee or something) likely wouldn't be healed by the Fall (for when the games actually count). That said, I'm sure the kids will be chomping at the bit to get on the field. If a coach gets a star hurt in a throw-away game ... he'll never hear the end of it.

If it is just four games and no champion awarded, etc., ... it should give IUP a great chance to settle the QB issue on the field. Let each start two games or something. I'm not convinced Davis is out of the mix. I know most seem to think Mr. Akron has it in the bag.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

It will likely depend if the PSAC is going to award a champion. If they go four games, one playoff and a title game .... they'll go full steam. If it's literally just four games ... I doubt most stars even play -- and it's a glorified scrimmage.
    Yeah, it would be glorified spring football. But it can be a good teaching tool and even a good way for the studs to sharpen the spear of their game after a whole year of no spring ball, fall camp and no season.

If I was running things I would go for a USFL theme since it is spring football. IUP as the LA Express. Boro as the Memphis Showboats, Rock as the Houston Gamblers, Clarion as the Pittsburgh Maulers, Cal as the New Jersey Generals (complete with an orange haired buffoon in a business suit on the sideline), Lock as the Washington Federals, Seton Hill as the Portland Breakers, Gannon as the Denver Gold and Mercy as the Oakland Invaders.

This would really add an extra element to things....at least for people 50 and over. All the young folks would be saying huh?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I hope the teams treat it as glorified scrimmages to get the whole team some game experience. Starters for the 1st quarter, then back ups the rest of the game.
    It will likely depend if the PSAC is going to award a champion. If they go four games, one playoff and a title game .... they'll go full steam. If it's literally just four games ... I doubt most stars even play -- and it's a glorified scrimmage.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Any new rumors floating around about a Spring season?

The interesting item to watch will the the conclusion of the D1 season and the transfer portal. The portal gets flooded in December by the non-bowl teams.

I'm also curious to see how teams treat this short season (if it happens). Do you risk your stars for a 4-game season?
    I hope the teams treat it as glorified scrimmages to get the whole team some game experience. Starters for the 1st quarter, then back ups the rest of the game.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X