Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Pres Driz is getting lit on social media.

I don't know how much longer his tenure will last.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

What do you disagree on?

Regardless of how much money is coming into IUP men's basketball, they're looking at $4-5k a week just on testing. Most of their schedule is a coach bus less than 250 miles round trip. If they try to make it happen, they're looking at bus trips twice as long.

IUP is also in cost cutting and cost savings mode - and they're taking it on the chin from alumni and students on what those cuts may look like. It could be a futher PR nightmare for IUP if they try to force men's basketball spending while cutting jobs and programs. I've been told by a contact in senior administration at IUP that athletic staff cuts are on the table. No program cuts, just reductions in program staff. Not playing this year could save enough cash to keep an assistant on staff. I think in the long run, that's more important to Lombardi regardless of what he says in the IG. He's making his $179k if they play 30 games or 0 games.
    This is sort of outside my realm - however, I think that on paper the increased testing costs could be offset by the decreased number of trips to games. There is a budget for 2020-21.

In general, I agree with you. Cancel it all and look to the following year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

What do you disagree on?

Regardless of how much money is coming into IUP men's basketball, they're looking at $4-5k a week just on testing. Most of their schedule is a coach bus less than 250 miles round trip. If they try to make it happen, they're looking at bus trips twice as long.

IUP is also in cost cutting and cost savings mode - and they're taking it on the chin from alumni and students on what those cuts may look like. It could be a futher PR nightmare for IUP if they try to force men's basketball spending while cutting jobs and programs. I've been told by a contact in senior administration at IUP that athletic staff cuts are on the table. No program cuts, just reductions in program staff. Not playing this year could save enough cash to keep an assistant on staff. I think in the long run, that's more important to Lombardi regardless of what he says in the IG. He's making his $179k if they play 30 games or 0 games.
    We're jumping pretty far ahead in hypotheticals. As of now, the PSAC is planning to play basketball (minus the walk-ons).

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We can agree to disagree.
    What do you disagree on?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

You also run into big travel costs and quarantine issues.

I think this is a perfect year to admit we don't need sports, save the money, and plan for next year.

We can agree to disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

All you need is 10 teams in the Atlantic Region.

So ... if 10 out of 45 (roughly) play you could have a season. Play each other twice. Pick up a non-con somewhere.
    You also run into big travel costs and quarantine issues.

I think this is a perfect year to admit we don't need sports, save the money, and plan for next year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I think if they do choose to play their biggest obstacle will be finding opponents.
    All you need is 10 teams in the Atlantic Region.

So ... if 10 out of 45 (roughly) play you could have a season. Play each other twice. Pick up a non-con somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree. I could see IUP, Gannon, and Hurst all electing to play. I imagine some MEC teams opting in as well. Might be an interesting season where we finally get that IUP/WLU regular season matchup. Stay tuned.

That said, has there been any outbreaks linked to high school sports? I haven't heard of any.
    I think if they do choose to play their biggest obstacle will be finding opponents.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I agree. I could see IUP, Gannon, and Hurst all electing to play. I imagine some MEC teams opting in as well. Might be an interesting season where we finally get that IUP/WLU regular season matchup. Stay tuned.

That said, has there been any outbreaks linked to high school sports? I haven't heard of any.
    They let these kids back on campus. Joe's team has been here all summer. No reason they can't play.

With the team Joe has this year ... they wot't be voting with the rest.

I'd say IUP basketball is at 99% playing. PSAC or not.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Those odds are actually pretty good at IUP. As of late, anyway.
    You beat me to the punch. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I get the whole liability thing. But it is funny high school players aren't being tested at all.

I will say -- unlike PSAC football and the unanimous vote to not play -- I don't think basketball will get an anonymous vote. I could see IUP electing to play. That's a program with a lot of money -- and a lot big donors. Same with Gannon and Mercyhurst.

So, while there may not be 'PSAC' basketball ... there may be basketball for some.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I was told that during orientation students spin a wheel for their IUP fate with the following possibilities:

Fail out but live in Indiana three more years
    Get stabbed
    Contract a virus from a guy met at a party
    Get shot
    Attacked with a machete
    Screamed at by a white nationalist

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Yeah, that might be the best strategy. Its a shame too, many athletes at IUP have already had covid, most asymptomatic, or a couple days of cold symptoms. There is really no reason to test athletes any differently than the general public. Keep them away from grandma, don't have 70+ old, or vulnerable people go to the games, it would be fine. Students more at risk of dying of a gunshot or overdose than of Covid.
    Those odds are actually pretty good at IUP. As of late, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's going to be it. A friend told me they're paying roughly $50 a test for basketball. Players, coaches, and trainers must test no less than three times a week. Plus officials and staff to run games. Thousands per week before travel.

At best we're looking at empty seats and streamed games. So an entire season of those late December and early January games. Let's just scuttle the season, save money, and look to 2021.

I get the whole liability thing. But it is funny high school players aren't being tested at all.

I will say -- unlike PSAC football and the unanimous vote to not play -- I don't think basketball will get an anonymous vote. I could see IUP electing to play. That's a program with a lot of money -- and a lot big donors. Same with Gannon and Mercyhurst.

So, while there may not be 'PSAC' basketball ... there may be basketball for some.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

That's going to be it. A friend told me they're paying roughly $50 a test for basketball. Players, coaches, and trainers must test no less than three times a week. Plus officials and staff to run games. Thousands per week before travel.

At best we're looking at empty seats and streamed games. So an entire season of those late December and early January games. Let's just scuttle the season, save money, and look to 2021.
    Yeah, that might be the best strategy. Its a shame too, many athletes at IUP have already had covid, most asymptomatic, or a couple days of cold symptoms. There is really no reason to test athletes any differently than the general public. Keep them away from grandma, don't have 70+ old, or vulnerable people go to the games, it would be fine. Students more at risk of dying of a gunshot or overdose than of Covid.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X