Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Appears the victim was a 20-year-old male from Pittsburgh (Homewood). Sounds like he was not an IUP student.

One apartment was searched yesterday. No arrests made as of this morning. It has been ruled a homicide.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-18-2020, 09:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Typical college town territorial pissing. The local government blames the school, the school says its off campus so not their jurisdiction. Leaders gather people together. Losers blame others.

Or we can just realize we're living Prohibition 2.0. Legalize it, regulate the **** out of it, and the violence goes away.
    What is the "it" that you speak of?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Typical college town territorial pissing. The local government blames the school, the school says its off campus so not their jurisdiction. Leaders gather people together. Losers blame others.

Or we can just realize we're living Prohibition 2.0. Legalize it, regulate the **** out of it, and the violence goes away.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I'm truly puzzled by this recurrence. I realise it's the county seat but it's far removed from any urban center. Am I wrong and West Chester has the same issues ? Short of drastic increase in borough police ( not really feasible right now) or introduction of State Police patrols, are there any realistic solutions on the horizon. I know that California has had events but they seem to be one offs and not trends. Never been to the town so can't comment intelligently but it is definitely a bad look.
    Indiana is a drug boom town. Literally.

You got a massive customer base on campus combined with the Redneck Army surrounding Indiana. Perfect storm.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...MRY4JNTDBZVK4/

But honestly, gang, this is not just endemic to Indiana, Pa. There's just as much chance of that happening around Richard Avenue in Shippensburg on a Friday night, I think.
    I'm truly puzzled by this recurrence. I realise it's the county seat but it's far removed from any urban center. Am I wrong and West Chester has the same issues ? Short of drastic increase in borough police ( not really feasible right now) or introduction of State Police patrols, are there any realistic solutions on the horizon. I know that California has had events but they seem to be one offs and not trends. Never been to the town so can't comment intelligently but it is definitely a bad look.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...MRY4JNTDBZVK4/

But honestly, gang, this is not just endemic to Indiana, Pa. There's just as much chance of that happening around Richard Avenue in Shippensburg on a Friday night, I think.
    Last edited by jrshooter; 10-17-2020, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    All over the news ... "fatal shooting near IUP campus" ....

Unbelievable. People wonder why enrollment sucks ... can't go more than a few weeks without these headlines.

They need to quit pretending how 'safe' certain parts of campus are and really jack up security.

The Wayne Ave section of campus and The Carriage House are pure slums after dark.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Another shooting off campus last night. Were those the Carriage House apartments?
    More than a shooting ... the person is dead.

1300 block of Oakland Ave .... which, yes, is the immediate vicinity of The Carriage House.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Rock at IUP today

Nevermind

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Another shooting off campus last night. Were those the Carriage House apartments?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

What you say has a certain logic to be sure----but traditionally speaking these high-caliber math/science/engineering types will opt for Penn State or some other big name school. I probably have five or six cousins who are engineers of some sort----and of course they all went to Penn State. Does IUP really make out in trying to attract these types of students?

Certainly one thing that caught my eye in the article was the elimination of 43 programs. Holy Toledo that is quite a few. I know that they did eliminate several in the past decade or so but 43!

Does anyone know which programs are getting the proverbial axe?
    When I was at RMU, their school of engineering grew exponentially. A lot of students choose it for good reasons: smaller campus, less expensive for some, and faculty engagement. Some students aren't interested in research. Or having grad students teach their classes. Do some wish they were at Penn State? Hell yeah but mostly for football & parties.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's clearly a movement towards a more technical focus. That's the direction that's been discussed the past few years. Understand that Driscoll is an Engineer and that's what he's into. The big $90 million science building that just had groundbreaking seals the deal. Otherwise, it makes no sense to put humanities, social science under the same admin as fine arts. That indicates a de-emphasis.

I think Driscoll is partly to blame for the enrollment problems. Aside from the demographics in Western PA, the decline has been on his watch. That's indisputable. But if this is the direction for IUP I think it's good. I hope they can find (re-find) their niche.

P.S. The other benefit of a shift towards science/math is the incoming students tend to have higher test scores.
    What you say has a certain logic to be sure----but traditionally speaking these high-caliber math/science/engineering types will opt for Penn State or some other big name school. I probably have five or six cousins who are engineers of some sort----and of course they all went to Penn State. Does IUP really make out in trying to attract these types of students?

Certainly one thing that caught my eye in the article was the elimination of 43 programs. Holy Toledo that is quite a few. I know that they did eliminate several in the past decade or so but 43!

Does anyone know which programs are getting the proverbial axe?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's clearly a movement towards a more technical focus. That's the direction that's been discussed the past few years. Understand that Driscoll is an Engineer and that's what he's into. The big $90 million science building that just had groundbreaking seals the deal. Otherwise, it makes no sense to put humanities, social science under the same admin as fine arts. That indicates a de-emphasis.

I think Driscoll is partly to blame for the enrollment problems. Aside from the demographics in Western PA, the decline has been on his watch. That's indisputable. But if this is the direction for IUP I think it's good. I hope they can find (re-find) their niche.

I'd substitute "applied" for "technical." High school applicants are choosing jobs first then a degree program that leads directly to that job. Schools have also created pre-professional tracks that are designed to lead toward that next step. For example, 25 years ago students studied political science if they intended to be a lawyer. Now a lot of campuses have dedicated pre-law programs. This has also extended to medical careers (pre-vet, pre-dental, pre-PA) in place of biology. It's even in less technical areas such as journalism in place of English, graphic design in place of applied art, and starting decades ago, business in place of economics. This is all at the expense of humanities and liberal arts (and if you notice, the programs being cut at PASSHE schools). The campuses where humanities and liberal arts still rule are predominantly private and/or those with wealthier enrollment. You can't study business, engineering, or pre-anything at Williams College.

Check out the specification of business programs too: sports management, financial planning, recreation & tourism, etc. I just saw that one of the top public business schools, the Farmer School at Miami University in Ohio, just added a full degree program in real estate business. Not a track. Not a minor. A full on degree in real estate. I'd be interested in knowing if any PASSHE school's top major isn't business.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

P.S. The other benefit of a shift towards science/math is the incoming students tend to have higher test scores.

Last edited by iupgroundhog; 10-15-2020, 12:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    From today's Gazette:

"Effective next fall, there will be one less college at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, as the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and College of Fine Arts will be combined into an as-yet-unnamed college focused on the creative arts, humanities and design."

Full story online.
    There's a good Pittsburgh PG article about IUP's changes. They also picked a good day to announce because it was overshadowed by the PASSHE BOG decisions. It's a logical consolidation, but I did find this statement to be something worth noting:

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X