X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What could the owners have done to avoid this happening? How are they negligent? I don't see it. but like I always say "I ain't no lawyer."
    A bar having as many incidents could lose its liquor license. Why couldn't Indiana law enforcement threaten to cut their rental permit?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    A second arrest has been made ... 19-year-old male from Johnstown. Two remain at large -- the alleged shooter from Philly and another assailant from Johnstown.

WTAE didn't state if today's arrest was made local to Indiana.

I'd give the other two jabronis 24 more hours or less.

This wasn't a planned 'hit' .... these guys didn't have a plan in place. I'd guess they are underneath a couch in an Indiana basement. Matter of time now. The other two will likely rat them out.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-19-2020, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPMonk
    replied
    Carriage House was sketchy at best in the late 70s. It was the bad egg in the Regency, Essex, Carriage house trilogy. Even back then the place reeked of pot and stale beer, but shootings where unheard of back then. Plenty of rumors about fist fights, but no shootings. Carriage house always seemed to have dark cloud hanging over it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Probably a pretty fair point to be honest. Wasn't that place they called Cooper Beach or Copper Beach the same way pretty much. I think they changed the name of it even. No doubt to throw the police and litigants off a little. LOL.

Seems like we are really seeing the Good Ship IUP going down here with all of this stuff that has been happening in recent years. Sad to see. But, hey, some of us did call some things out over the years. Too bad it all fell upon deaf ears!

It's the number of violent crimes that is so alarming. What happened to the simple fist fight on 7th Street. Too strenuous nowadays, I suppose. Lordy ... we're in mid-October and have already been on the Pittsburgh news 4-5 times for shootings and stabbings. We're on an IUP record pace.

What's funny is this notion that there's only 1,500 students here. LOL. There's probably about 7,000 or so -- with nothing to do. The party scene is booming, which of course leads to all the other nonsense after midnight.

The new DA ran his campaign on tough punishments ... no more slaps on the wrists, etc. They need to make examples out of some of these dealers, etc. End of the day the students have to make better choices. Just don't hold your breath.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

What could the owners have done to avoid this happening? How are they negligent? I don't see it. but like I always say "I ain't no lawyer."

That's an interesting question. Consider it is unofficial campus housing. Those are exclusively IUP students living there -- although it is privately owned and, albeit barely, off-campus.

But, going back at least 20-30 years, ... there's a common denominator involved in the IUP drug trade -- and most of the violent crime, shootings, stabbings and deaths near campus.

I wouldn't go anywhere near that place after dark.

Perhaps it's a 30-year coincidence the same place has the same problems year after year.

Other than keeping a Borough patrol car stationed there 7 days a week ... nothing is really going to change.

Because this incident involved the murder of an IUP student -- and a local underage girl -- it will be much more difficult to sweep under the rug. A lot of 'sweeping' gets done down at The Carriage House.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It won't be popular with the libertarian crowd, but the DA could take the owners to court for negligence.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yep. A bag full of dope has one IUP student dead, a 17-year-old local gal (IHS honors student) charged with homicide (as an adult) and the others -- who will be caught shortly -- going 'upstate' for a very long time.

Tell you what, if somebody would compile a 30-year history of The Carriage House ... it would be a shocking, fascinating read.

It's funny how bars can get shut down for being 'nuisance bars' yet the crime epicenter of Indiana for (3) decades cannot.
    Probably a pretty fair point to be honest. Wasn't that place they called Cooper Beach or Copper Beach the same way pretty much. I think they changed the name of it even. No doubt to throw the police and litigants off a little. LOL.

Seems like we are really seeing the Good Ship IUP going down here with all of this stuff that has been happening in recent years. Sad to see. But, hey, some of us did call some things out over the years. Too bad it all fell upon deaf ears!

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yep. A bag full of dope has one IUP student dead, a 17-year-old local gal (IHS honors student) charged with homicide (as an adult) and the others -- who will be caught shortly -- going 'upstate' for a very long time.

Tell you what, if somebody would compile a 30-year history of The Carriage House ... it would be a shocking, fascinating read.

It's funny how bars can get shut down for being 'nuisance bars' yet the crime epicenter of Indiana for (3) decades cannot.
    It won't be popular with the libertarian crowd, but the DA could take the owners to court for negligence.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Tragic. Life is more important than this nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Tragic. Life is more important than this nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Updated news surfacing ...

The victim was in fact an IUP student.

The 17-year-old female was a student at IHS. She's being held without bond. Three others, including the alleged shooter, have not been captured.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I agree. We don't know if this is about weed, though.
    Correction: I just saw the story in the IG. It was about marijuana.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Weed. I don't use it but it's responsible for more violence and more incarceration than the health or social damage it causes. Harder drugs should be addressed differently.

Prohibition ended because the war on bootleggers and the mob was more trouble than it was worth.
    I agree. We don't know if this is about weed, though.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    An arrest warrant has been issued for a 20-year-old male from Philadelphia. He is being charged with homicide and robbery. A 17-year-old female from Indiana has also been arrested.

Sounds like this was certainly a robbery gone bad. At 4am I doubt they were there to steal cookies.

Two other males were picked up on camera but have not been identified.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

What is the "it" that you speak of?
    Weed. I don't use it but it's responsible for more violence and more incarceration than the health or social damage it causes. Harder drugs should be addressed differently.

Prohibition ended because the war on bootleggers and the mob was more trouble than it was worth.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X