Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    Woody shouldve probably stayed at Boro. I dont see him playing much at IUP barring injuries.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    SHipp also has a few guys from CLarion. An OL and a WR that was a RB at Clarion I think.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    I'm curious to see how many grad transfers happen this year and next with the covid year and having a year of credits without burning a football year.

I wouldnt be surprised to see an Anfreenee Williams at Edinboro end up transferring at some point. I was kinda surprised he came back to the boro but after being out 7 years he almost had to start over and get the rust off.

Zinobile if he doesnt try the MAC is probably looking at SRU and IUP right off the bat. Duane Brown might be looking MAC.

IUP seems to go smaller HS classes than Cal and SRU right now. Even though SRU gets a ton of transfers they have huge HS classes. Ive wondered seeing that for awhile if that would bite IUP at some point. ( maybe it's just my perception Idk)

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You could say it is starting to slowly happen.

IUP took (2) from Edinboro and (1) from Clarion last year.

One of SRU's stars came from Seton Hill and their starting safety is from Mercyhurst.

I'd guess where you start to really see intra-division transfers is with the grad students -- similar to what the kid from Mercyhurst who now plays for SRU did.

'Poaching' would imply they are targeting them while still at their current school. I doubt that is happening. Once they hit the portal, it's open season.
    Shepherd got Schwartz from Lock Haven (all conference RB) and 2 from Ship in Gontarek (WR) and a DB who doesn't understand what deep third is sometimes. And didn't that TE who was all conference from LH as well transfer to West Chester? It's already happening. I agree, it's not poaching, but the better players at not so great programs are leaving as soon as they establish themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

One of SRU's stars came from Seton Hill and their starting safety is from Mercyhurst.

I'd guess where you start to really see intra-division transfers is with the grad students -- similar to what the kid from Mercyhurst who now plays for SRU did.

'Poaching' would imply they are targeting them while still at their current school. I doubt that is happening. Once they hit the portal, it's open season.
    My understanding of Kelly transferring to IUP was that he used the coaching change to enter the portal and his motivation for going to IUP was because his cousin was on the team. IUP also gave him more money than Edinboro. Unsure about Woody.

Only one coaching change happening in the West this year - but I think we'll see some WPIAL kids who have gone to the PSAC East, MEC, and GMAC look for new homes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They've also struck out before with QB transfers. I just hope that the relaxed portal and the scholarship dollar disparity within the conference doesn't result in the haves poaching starters from the have nots. I don't really think that's the case but its certainly a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Stacking your roster has become quite a proposition. The portal is so full yearly now because, well, said recruits leave on a whim -- constantly. It's never been so easy to transfer out.

I think it would be fascinating to study the past 8 years worth of high school recruits for the entire PSAC -- and see how many actually finished at the school they started at. I think it would be a shockingly low number.

So, I agree with your point. You still have to take high school players. But, you better be dang sure of them. The 'fringe' recruit of the past is a big risk -- and likely taking up a spot you could use for a portal guy.

And, obviously, not all portal imports work out. Some are ego maniacs, etc.

I mentioned IUP probably taking 7-9 transfers this off-season. In the past, that would have sounded like a lot. It's just kind of the norm now.

IUP's hit the jackpot with its past two QB transfers. Bad part is both were just one-year guys.

But, the lore to the portal is obvious. Most high school recruits are nowhere near ready to play. Portal guys can not only play right away but many will start right away.
    They've also struck out before with QB transfers. I just hope that the relaxed portal and the scholarship dollar disparity within the conference doesn't result in the haves poaching starters from the have nots. I don't really think that's the case but its certainly a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    He could have transferred to another school. Sounds like his decision-making wasn't too good.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I think it's interesting how teams are approaching the transfer frenzy now. IUP/Rock seem to have fully gone in on finding veteran qb's through the transfer portal almost exclusively. Does that change how they approach recruiting? Do they not even really go after solid HS qb's anymore with that thinking?

Shepherd seems to hit the transfer portal pretty hard for WR's in the last 4-6 years, and have been quite fortunate with the qb recruiting at the HS level (Ziemba and Bagent) but did have the 1 full year of VT transfer Connor Jessup. I've talked with a couple of the coaches and they've said the philosophy has only shifted in that they take less chances on fringe prospects at the HS level because they know they can get a few proven players with that little bit of scholarship money leftover in the portal.

I don't think teams should be banking on players in the portal saving their teams, they should be pieces that fit into what you think your team needs to enhance its chances. Just upgrades along the fringes.

Stacking your roster has become quite a proposition. The portal is so full yearly now because, well, said recruits leave on a whim -- constantly. It's never been so easy to transfer out.

I think it would be fascinating to study the past 8 years worth of high school recruits for the entire PSAC -- and see how many actually finished at the school they started at. I think it would be a shockingly low number.

So, I agree with your point. You still have to take high school players. But, you better be dang sure of them. The 'fringe' recruit of the past is a big risk -- and likely taking up a spot you could use for a portal guy.

And, obviously, not all portal imports work out. Some are ego maniacs, etc.

I mentioned IUP probably taking 7-9 transfers this off-season. In the past, that would have sounded like a lot. It's just kind of the norm now.

IUP's hit the jackpot with its past two QB transfers. Bad part is both were just one-year guys.

But, the lore to the portal is obvious. Most high school recruits are nowhere near ready to play. Portal guys can not only play right away but many will start right away.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Link below to Matt's write-up on the SHU game. From the comments of the players it sounds like they have turned the page in a positive direction. Bad stuff happened but you have to move on from it.

It's mind-blowing to think how close we were from being atop the regional rankings and pondering again whether we can win a NCAA semifinal game. When this team is functioning well they are that good. Also hard to believe and probably unprecedented that IUP beat both teams playing in the State Game. I hope they can put up a good showing against WCU and come out with a win. A lot of lessons to be learnbed from this season.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...491352a5a.html

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    I think it's interesting how teams are approaching the transfer frenzy now. IUP/Rock seem to have fully gone in on finding veteran qb's through the transfer portal almost exclusively. Does that change how they approach recruiting? Do they not even really go after solid HS qb's anymore with that thinking?

Shepherd seems to hit the transfer portal pretty hard for WR's in the last 4-6 years, and have been quite fortunate with the qb recruiting at the HS level (Ziemba and Bagent) but did have the 1 full year of VT transfer Connor Jessup. I've talked with a couple of the coaches and they've said the philosophy has only shifted in that they take less chances on fringe prospects at the HS level because they know they can get a few proven players with that little bit of scholarship money leftover in the portal.

I don't think teams should be banking on players in the portal saving their teams, they should be pieces that fit into what you think your team needs to enhance its chances. Just upgrades along the fringes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    If I recall, the one left town after essentially taking the blame for the Shepherd playoff loss.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

I tend to think Tort will go heavy on transfers this class. Everybody knows SRU and Cal have their QBs for next year and both will be strong teams. Not to mention it's essentially becoming the new norm in recruiting for teams with money. I can easily see them taking 7-9 transfers this winter.

IUP does have a lot coming back, too.

It is my belief, however, for them to stay in the mix with Cal and SRU in 2022 that they will need to bring in ready-to-go transfers at several positions. Notably, (2) CB, (1) WR, (1) OL, (1) DL, (1) QB. I would also grab a LB if you can find one you like.

I could see also adding an RB if the opportunity exists. Houser and Stewart will headline next year. But, you can never have enough.

And, as always, many PSAC teams will have kids decide to leave starting this Saturday night. So, sometimes you can find those quality transfers without having to look too far away.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Who is doing special teams? I thought I saw somewhere that was also Nulph's responsibility even though it wasn't listed.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

He wasn't good enough to get to the next level!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X