X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Nobody else is getting 1 yr transfers at QB, Maxwell and woodberry were talented, but then you have to consider integration into the system, knowing team mates, the Knowing how best to use his talents- leadership, 2+ year transfers at qb is better
    IIRC, Slip has done it a few times.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Nobody else is getting 1 yr transfers at QB, Maxwell and woodberry were talented, but then you have to consider integration into the system, knowing team mates, the Knowing how best to use his talents- leadership, 2+ year transfers at qb is better
    They are in kind of a weird spot with Javon. He was brought in as a dual-threat replacement for Lenny but that is not what IUP is looking for in a QB now.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Easier to grab a proven guy like Woodberry then develop a local kid who could even wash out off the field.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd agree. The money is there.
    Easier to grab a proven guy like Woodberry then develop a local kid who could even wash out off the field.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I imagine the chances for a program like IUP to bring in a high quality transfer QB every 1-2 years is better than developing a HS recruit.
    I'd agree. The money is there.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    I imagine the chances for a program like IUP to bring in a high quality transfer QB every 1-2 years is better than developing a HS recruit.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

So its pretty clear that bringing in a one year mercenary QB hasn't been that effective. Its really likely the teams record would be the same or even better with Javon at QB this year. The problem is that the Coaches tend to focus on the big stars that come in. With Irv out, they didn't know what to do in the red zone.

Hard to say. Factually, yes, Maxwell and Harry are leaving here with a combined 0 playoff wins.

Would they have been 5-3 right now with Javon all season? Maybe better. Maybe worse. Who knows.

Maxwell was a very good player. He was a blown coverage by the defense away from winning a playoff game so it's hard to pin that one on him. He put up 42 points on a great SRU team up there and still lost. That's not his fault. Put it this way, I'd bring in a Maxwell-type every year if they could find one.

Harry is 4-2 as a starter. He played well enough to beat California. That loss wasn't on him. Last week's debacle -- likely the worst loss in program history -- is on the whole organization.

I don't think there's any doubt they are transfer QB shopping in the coming weeks. Ideally, you find a mid-year transfer so he's here in the Spring. Unfortunately, some of the best options don't become available until after D1 Spring ball wraps up.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

QB market gets flooded every off-season. I'd just prefer they find one who will be here more than one season.

But, if they do come across a one-year guy they can't refuse ... so be it.
    I was being facetious. The mystery FIU QB who started the season as QB1 at Edinboro is no longer on the team.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

There's a former FIU QB on the market.
    QB market gets flooded every off-season. I'd just prefer they find one who will be here more than one season.

But, if they do come across a one-year guy they can't refuse ... so be it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

So its pretty clear that bringing in a one year mercenary QB hasn't been that effective. Its really likely the teams record would be the same or even better with Javon at QB this year. The problem is that the Coaches tend to focus on the big stars that come in. With Irv out, they didn't know what to do in the red zone.

Last Saturday they had I think 5 Red Zone trips and 0 TDs. Their only TD came on a long pass.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Fours years in but he's only a sophomore eligibility-wise.

Maybe he does graduate and hang it up. Who knows.

One interesting item: Javon and Harry have the same record in 'big' games. Both are 1-1. Javon did beat Kutztown.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'd agree, he played in 2 big game this year as well. They know what they have. He's a solid player that isn't going to win games for you, but he won't lose them either.

He should politely tell the coaches if they bring in another highly touted transfer, he's transferring to one of the other 12 schools he would surely start at in this conference. Time's running out and he should be a player somewhere.
    Fours years in but he's only a sophomore eligibility-wise.

Maybe he does graduate and hang it up. Who knows.

One interesting item: Javon and Harry have the same record in 'big' games. Both are 1-1. Javon did beat Kutztown.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

He's been in the program for 4 years so that's a pretty good look. Plus, who knows, he could graduate and not even be here next year.
    I'd agree, he played in 2 big game this year as well. They know what they have. He's a solid player that isn't going to win games for you, but he won't lose them either.

He should politely tell the coaches if they bring in another highly touted transfer, he's transferring to one of the other 12 schools he would surely start at in this conference. Time's running out and he should be a player somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Javon can never duplicate game experience in practice. You could also say Harry had his shot and it's now basically time to prep for 2022.

Or, you can say IUP (and Tort) desperately need to win these last two -- head to '22 with some momentum and get some positivity flowing again. Heck, maybe play both. Javon could be a spark at this point with a different look.

I think they likely roll these last two. This team just can't play at home ... it's like some whacked out Dr. Phil level stuff. Tort said tonight he has no idea why they struggle inside Miller. That said, I wouldn't even bet your money on this week's game. At least in 2018 when they bailed the season was over. Hard to say what we'll see Saturday.

Regarding the two freshmen, the kid from Homer City has already switched positions. Horn, yes, is likely a career backup.

It's going to be a big decision on Javon. My bet is a transfer QB gets added either way.
    There's a former FIU QB on the market.

Leave a comment:

• GregD
    replied
    It is impossible to say too many good things about Bernie. He always had a smile for everyone. No conversation with Bernie ever could end without a football discussion.
    He will be coaching somewhere. Maybe he and Chuck K. will get together and start a new league. That would be heavenly!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X