Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The Clarion WR everybody wants took an invited visit to Toledo this past weekend. Odds aren't good he stays in D2.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    For those still following the team ... any thoughts on this trip to Greensburg?

I have no idea what to expect. Irv's thumb obviously is playing a major role. Sounds like the official word on last week was Irv was a pregame scratch. They knew he was hurt during the week but his game status was unclear.

I can guarantee one thing: plenty of good seats will be available.

I'm sure Seton Hill is chomping at the bit ... blood in the water, etc.

If IUP wants to win this game it better show up down there with some emotion. The Griffins haven't had many clear cracks at IUP ... ever. I fully expect IUP runs in to a team that will be just as amped up as Edinboro was.

By most accounts, the SH defense is drastically improved from prior years. They have a nice DL. Offensively, they have a nice power back. They aren't a great passing team. This is going to be a 3-yards and a cloud of dust approach against IUP. Although, if they've been watching film, I'd fully expect them to try and toss short stuff all day. IUP has been hard to run against. But, as we've seen the past two weeks, the short stuff has been wide open at will.

If IUP is interested -- and has worked on punt protection -- I suspect they leave Greensburg with a win. This is a big task for Tort this week to rally the troops. A 7-3 offseason, while disappointing, is a hell of a lot better than 5-5.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Amazing how all the newest screen name trash talkers have disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Wondering how this season would have gone if they got a D1 safety instead of Harry football.
    Obviously big ticket D1 transfers on defense has paid a better return on investment for IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Hard to trash talk after you lose to Edinboro at home.
    That's what makes me think it was current or former player(s) . Instead of talking work harder and actually perform! That's what Joe's program does!

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

CHECK THE RESUME!!! IUP BEEN STEAMROLLING THIS CONFERENCE FOR YEARS!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Wondering how this season would have gone if they got a D1 safety instead of Harry football.
    Wondering how this season would have gone if they remembered they had a game a few days ago?

2021 goes in the books as a disaster.

This team could easily be 3-5 right now. Think about that. Could (should) also be 7-1.

Best case end it 7-3 and at least go in to off-season on a positive.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

I trust they'll find a quality QB -- be it a one-year or two-year guy. They seem to have a knack for identifying good QBs.

The most troubling area in my mind entering the off-season is the defense.

I know the whole DL returns next year but I sure wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add to it.

They'll need two CBs -- likely two transfers who will be Day 1 starters. Word is there isn't much depth in the program on the corners.

I'd probably add a transfer LB, too. Kelly returning helps.

Safety should be pretty solidified for the next 3 seasons. They took their lumps this year (as freshmen always do). That group should be much improved next year and then have the chance to be pretty special in '23 and '24. We have to remember those kids went to the prom last May. It's a talented group who got its growing pains out of the way.

Offense ...

RB - Houser returns. Immediate boost. Stewart, too. The Edinboro transfer will also be in the mix. I'd still add another one via transfer. You can't have enough.

WR - Pretty good group returns headlined by Duane. Probably add one more via transfer.

OL - Dauberman is a huge loss.

TE - Solid for next year with returners.

K/P should be set and in good shape. Side note: hopefully punt protection is fixed.

This assumes, of course, all those mentioned here do indeed stay. I assume we'll lose a couple to the portal.

Leave a comment:

• EdinboroFB
    replied
    IF they bring in one QB they might as well bring in two because Davis will be gone this time and now he has some tape.

I think this off season will be interesting with transfers with everyone getting a free year jamming up rosters and playing time.... ..and possibly a lot of grad transfers with that year of class with no loss of fb eligibility.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Deciding whether the one year guy is someone they can't refuse, that's the big judgement call isn't it. the quality one year guys have less interest, so IUP can get them, its like buying day old bread, you can get higher quality for cheaper, but you have to eat it right away. I think there is a reason not many programs go after these talented guys.
    I trust they'll find a quality QB -- be it a one-year or two-year guy. They seem to have a knack for identifying good QBs.

The most troubling area in my mind entering the off-season is the defense.

I know the whole DL returns next year but I sure wouldn't pass up the opportunity to add to it.

They'll need two CBs -- likely two transfers who will be Day 1 starters. Word is there isn't much depth in the program on the corners.

I'd probably add a transfer LB, too. Kelly returning helps.

Safety should be pretty solidified for the next 3 seasons. They took their lumps this year (as freshmen always do). That group should be much improved next year and then have the chance to be pretty special in '23 and '24. We have to remember those kids went to the prom last May. It's a talented group who got its growing pains out of the way.

Offense ...

RB - Houser returns. Immediate boost. Stewart, too. The Edinboro transfer will also be in the mix. I'd still add another one via transfer. You can't have enough.

WR - Pretty good group returns headlined by Duane. Probably add one more via transfer.

OL - Dauberman is a huge loss.

TE - Solid for next year with returners.

K/P should be set and in good shape. Side note: hopefully punt protection is fixed.

This assumes, of course, all those mentioned here do indeed stay. I assume we'll lose a couple to the portal.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied

Deciding whether the one year guy is someone they can't refuse, that's the big judgement call isn't it. the quality one year guys have less interest, so IUP can get them, its like buying day old bread, you can get higher quality for cheaper, but you have to eat it right away. I think there is a reason not many programs go after these talented guys.
    Well ... I think you guys might be more attractive to this type of player than most D-II programs. There's usually more buzz around your program than most.

So, if you enter the mind of more potential transfers, you also have a better chance of attracting somebody you can't really pass up. If I were to guess, I'd say that will be the position you are in on Aug. 25, 2022.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

QB market gets flooded every off-season. I'd just prefer they find one who will be here more than one season.

But, if they do come across a one-year guy they can't refuse ... so be it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

IIRC, Slip has done it a few times.

I have no problems with Maxwell and Harry. Of course, it would have been fantastic to have them each an extra year. But, they were far from IUP's problem (minus Harry missing the first two games).

As IUPGroundHog just posted, I think they are in a tough spot with Javon. To go with him next year, they have to likely change the offense back to the Lenny-style system. To do that, it likely means they need a backup capable of running it.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X