X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We yap about a lot but that is freaked up. Nobody can say that isn't a disadvantage. It's extremely hard to play back to back big games.

Occasionally ... sure. Ten years in a row. Horse$hit.

Just look at this year. IUP lost the back-end twice. Shepherd lost its backend, too.
    I don't think anyone can really disagree with this. How can they not put that in a hat and redraw it for new pairings every 4 years or so. Does this mean like Shepherd and Kutztown are part of the pairing for their crossovers too?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

IUP Rule 2.0.
    We yap about a lot but that is freaked up. Nobody can say that isn't a disadvantage. It's extremely hard to play back to back big games.

Occasionally ... sure. Ten years in a row. Horse$hit.

Just look at this year. IUP lost the back-end twice. Shepherd lost its backend, too.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

A little bit of the credit for stabilizing CAL U on many fronts should go to Geraldine Jones. Not only getting the school back on reasonably sound financial footing, but cleaning up several issues specifically in athletics. Though never the "athletics is the front door" sort of booster that Armenti was, she did appreciate that generally successful athletics does add to the college experience and helps with recruiting. Her first move was showing the door to Mike Keller by forfeiting the '14 Gannon game in the aftermath of the several player's beatdown of a visitor, and subsequently hiring GD. Next she talked an old friend, Mike Brown, into calling it quits so that MBB could begin the path back to competitiveness. Even when Kent McBride suddenly walked away, she reacted decisively in hiring DS, who as we all recall was under a bit of a cloud at the time. Both have been solid hires. IMO, both programs are on solid ground and moving forward. GD is probably in for the long haul while DS will probably be around long enough to polish his resume before moving on to whichever of the privates opens up first. Given his connections to prep schools, I can see him being very successful at any of those schools.
    Got to know Ms. Jones during the last Edinboro presidential search. She's awesome. I remember there were a lot of people unhappy with her hire at the time but as you rehashed, she stabilized the university that was very uneasy at the time, especially the locals who had fully bought into Armenti's vision of IUP South along the Mon.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

IUP also got Edinboro-Seton Hill and Clarion-Gannon back-to-back every year since 2014. It looks like teams are grouped in pairs and those groups are randomly ordered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 1.13.21 PM.png
Views:	396
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	619091

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Maybe that's the real IUP Rule.
    IUP Rule 2.0.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

???? The only, in my experience, coach of any sport who was pushed out, very gently, for the program going down hill was CAL MBB Coach Bill Brown who had done very well early but had clearly lost connection with today's game and players. Other than that basically as long as you want the job in a PASSHE school, it's yours, unless you do something clearly against some rule. It doesn't seem that even the most ardent supporters have the clout to get someone fired as is very common in D1 sports of all sorts. I'm sure the exceptions will be pointed out.
    Bill Brown got a long leash but he had earned it I suppose. His latter teams didn't even resemble his earlier teams. Was part of that due to Angelo going full throttle in football ... perhaps.

Our buddy IUP24 has seen Cal in a different light due to his age. He's always seen Cal football being strong but never saw the glory years of Vulcan men's hoops. As to where I came up with Cal football being a doormat but hoops were loaded.

You're right ... D1 long leashes don't really exist unless you're of legend status. You just get your behind canned.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

I should have also pointed out that Kellar/Dunn era had fewer schollies than Luckhardt. And Gary Dunn does an outstanding job, Mike Craig (DC), too.
    A little bit of the credit for stabilizing CAL U on many fronts should go to Geraldine Jones. Not only getting the school back on reasonably sound financial footing, but cleaning up several issues specifically in athletics. Though never the "athletics is the front door" sort of booster that Armenti was, she did appreciate that generally successful athletics does add to the college experience and helps with recruiting. Her first move was showing the door to Mike Keller by forfeiting the '14 Gannon game in the aftermath of the several player's beatdown of a visitor, and subsequently hiring GD. Next she talked an old friend, Mike Brown, into calling it quits so that MBB could begin the path back to competitiveness. Even when Kent McBride suddenly walked away, she reacted decisively in hiring DS, who as we all recall was under a bit of a cloud at the time. Both have been solid hires. IMO, both programs are on solid ground and moving forward. GD is probably in for the long haul while DS will probably be around long enough to polish his resume before moving on to whichever of the privates opens up first. Given his connections to prep schools, I can see him being very successful at any of those schools.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    I think Dunn is a fantastic coach. He has just as good a roster as IUP (some would say better) with less money. He's recruiting very well to fit their system.
    I should have also pointed out that Kellar/Dunn era had fewer schollies than Luckhardt. And Gary Dunn does an outstanding job, Mike Craig (DC), too.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    I'd love an explanation on that topic (IUP plays SRU and Cal back to back for 10 seasons in a row).
    IUP also got Edinboro-Seton Hill and Clarion-Gannon back-to-back every year since 2014. It looks like teams are grouped in pairs and those groups are randomly ordered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 1.13.21 PM.png
Views:	396
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	619091

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

You forgot leading the country in player arrests in Luckhardt's stats.

Now, there's no doubt Luckhardt had many, many advantages (some legal, some not) under Armenti that the past two did not get to experience.

I think Dunn is a fantastic coach. He has just as good a roster as IUP (some would say better) with less money. He's recruiting very well to fit their system.
    I don't think its fair to assume that illegal stuff happened under Luckhardt and Armenti. Unethical and violating the spirit of several PASSHE policies? Absolutely.

I agree on Dunn. Got to know him a bit working on integration stuff. He's first class and being a Cal guy loves the place. I don't see him ever doing anything unethical. Perfect hire.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Armenti got fired in May 2012, Luckhardt retired the following month.

Under Luckhardt, from 2002 to 2011, Cal had at least a share of seven division titles, five double-digit win seasons, five playoff berths, eight playoff wins, and three regional championships. Luckhardt went 6-4 vs. IUP and 7-3 vs. SRU.

Since Luckhardt retired, Cal has had as many division titles as Gannon (1), one double-digit win season, two playoff berths, and one playoff win (against IUP). Keller and Dunn have combined to go 6-4 vs. IUP and 2-6 vs. SRU.

Maybe it's because Lucky set the bar so high, but I'd say that's a step back.
    You forgot leading the country in player arrests in Luckhardt's stats.

Now, there's no doubt Luckhardt had many, many advantages (some legal, some not) under Armenti that the past two did not get to experience.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Well, Cal and SRU don't get the luxury IUP does of the back-to-back for 10 straight years. Thank the dip$hit home office for that 'random' glitch.

I'd love an explanation on that topic (IUP plays SRU and Cal back to back for 10 seasons in a row).
    Maybe that's the real IUP Rule.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    People have been saying since Armenti was ousted at Cal that they were going to take a significant step back. That's never happened - and it won't.
    Armenti got fired in May 2012, Luckhardt retired the following month.

Under Luckhardt, from 2002 to 2011, Cal had at least a share of seven division titles, five double-digit win seasons, five playoff berths, eight playoff wins, and three regional championships. Luckhardt went 6-4 vs. IUP and 7-3 vs. SRU.

Since Luckhardt retired, Cal has had as many division titles as Gannon (1), one double-digit win season, two playoff berths, and one playoff win (against IUP). Keller and Dunn have combined to go 6-4 vs. IUP and 2-6 vs. SRU.

Maybe it's because Lucky set the bar so high, but I'd say that's a step back.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'm in no way saying or suggesting anything, but the entire tone from everybody these last two weeks with the SRU and Cal games sure sounded like it did at the end of the Curt era. Teams blowing leads; teams struggling in what we would call "big games"; teams struggling against Cal.

People have been saying since Armenti was ousted at Cal that they were going to take a significant step back. That's never happened - and it won't. Cal has a solid program. They always recruit well and they seem to do a good job at developing their players. And for whatever reason... Throw records away, forget who is coaching, and ignore the personnel on both sides. Both programs just seem to match up incredibly well to each other. It's interesting that a bunch of the SRU/IUP games, while hyped and some very competitive, often end up with lopsided scores.

These are all the same conversations we were having when Curt ended up leaving for JMU. He would have never gotten the boot at IUP. And I highly doubt Tort will, I think he's overall done a nice job. But there things that need to improve. That 2017 team isn't walking through that door. Much like the 2012 team wasn't at the end of Curt's tenure. It's a unique conversation for certain.
    Well, Cal and SRU don't get the luxury IUP does of the back-to-back for 10 straight years. Thank the dip$hit home office for that 'random' glitch.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

I'm in no way saying or suggesting anything, but the entire tone from everybody these last two weeks with the SRU and Cal games sure sounded like it did at the end of the Curt era. Teams blowing leads; teams struggling in what we would call "big games"; teams struggling against Cal.

People have been saying since Armenti was ousted at Cal that they were going to take a significant step back. That's never happened - and it won't. Cal has a solid program. They always recruit well and they seem to do a good job at developing their players. And for whatever reason... Throw records away, forget who is coaching, and ignore the personnel on both sides. Both programs just seem to match up incredibly well to each other. It's interesting that a bunch of the SRU/IUP games, while hyped and some very competitive, often end up with lopsided scores.

These are all the same conversations we were having when Curt ended up leaving for JMU. He would have never gotten the boot at IUP. And I highly doubt Tort will, I think he's overall done a nice job. But there things that need to improve. That 2017 team isn't walking through that door. Much like the 2012 team wasn't at the end of Curt's tenure. It's a unique conversation for certain.
    ???? The only, in my experience, coach of any sport who was pushed out, very gently, for the program going down hill was CAL MBB Coach Bill Brown who had done very well early but had clearly lost connection with today's game and players. Other than that basically as long as you want the job in a PASSHE school, it's yours, unless you do something clearly against some rule. It doesn't seem that even the most ardent supporters have the clout to get someone fired as is very common in D1 sports of all sorts. I'm sure the exceptions will be pointed out.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X