X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I don't necessarily agree that you'd be 6-0, Bagent was really firing that day. But, I did agree then and continue now that IUP is a much better team with him at QB. Davis was serviceable but not a true threat with the arm. I very much am hoping they get to do a round 2, which would mean ideally for both programs a decent playoff run and some real stakes.
    I don't buy that 6-0, either. Aside from Harry not playing, they were banged up on defense with two key starters out (Kelly and Wallace), and all those freshmen really were green freshmen back in early September.

Harry would have kept that game closer, but on that day IUP was going to have no answer for Bagent. Not to say they'll have an answer for him in a potential Round 2, but they will be better equipped. The kids are growing up and more importantly Kelly and Wallace are healthy now -- I'd call the duo their best LB and best pass rusher. They went with a freshman LB that day making his first career start and without Wallace they were getting nowhere near Bagent.

As I've said before, I think Javon was able to catch Kutztown off guard. Shepherd had a game film on him and obviously saw some limitations. They did a great job taking all the short stuff away. With Harry, obviously, that all changes in how you try to defend IUP because he's got a rocket arm, is mobile, accurate, etc. But, Javon did come out of that 1-1 and certainly won a huge game for IUP. Despite the win, IUP got beat up in that Kutztown game. It was a really physical affair and knocked several players out of the game (and the following week).

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    I don't necessarily agree that you'd be 6-0, Bagent was really firing that day. But, I did agree then and continue now that IUP is a much better team with him at QB. Davis was serviceable but not a true threat with the arm. I very much am hoping they get to do a round 2, which would mean ideally for both programs a decent playoff run and some real stakes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Yep, seven of SRU's first eight drives covered 8 yards or fewer. Two of them went backward. The longest was 2 minutes.

But at 10-7, the crowd was back in it and if it weren't for Collin Pietropola, who knows what could have happened next.
    All true but the fact that the SRU offense had established nothing to that point says a lot. A lucky bounced punt and 1 bad IUP play handed SRU their only first half points.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Matt if you remember correctly, when they made it 10-7 it was because Woodbury threw the pick to give them less than 10 yards to score. At that point, SRU still never established their offense.
    Yep, seven of SRU's first eight drives covered 8 yards or fewer. Two of them went backward. The longest was 2 minutes.

But at 10-7, the crowd was back in it and if it weren't for Collin Pietropola, who knows what could have happened next.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Further to that, the SRU punter essentially line-drive bounced a punt about 70 yards -- pinning IUP at the 1-yard line. On third down is when the pick came as it got wrestled away from Duane.

SRU's second TD also came on a very short field after an IUP punt got crushed up in that wind tunnel.
    Great points also. That SRU punt was a 20 yard shank turned into a 60 yard rolling bomb.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Matt if you remember correctly, when they made it 10-7 it was because Woodbury threw the pick to give them less than 10 yards to score. At that point, SRU still never established their offense.
    Further to that, the SRU punter essentially line-drive bounced a punt about 70 yards -- pinning IUP at the 1-yard line. On third down is when the pick came as it got wrestled away from Duane.

SRU's second TD also came on a very short field after an IUP punt got crushed up in that wind tunnel.

Leave a comment:

• Big Hawk15
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I'm late to the party, but your post reminded me of some observations from the game.

I think (and this is just my guess) that SRU expected to win this game in a shootout, as if they were saying, "good luck keeping up with us." I'm a believer in body language. I was covering the game from the sidelines, and when Slippery Rock went 3-and-out on their first two drives, it was like they were lost. Their body language was of confusion. And the crowd went quiet, too, as if it was perplexed.

SRU recovered momentarily when they made it 10-7, but when IUP went right back down the field and scored to make it 17-7, it was back to confusion. IUP's quick 10 points to start the third quarter, making it 34-7, just sucked the life out of the place. It's weird how quiet it was at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Big Hawk15
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

So if a small number did pick them, that means not "everyone" thought they were out of it. I don't know who designates the supposed underdog in these games, but judging by the records of the two teams going into the game there was no reason to believe IUP couldn't win it. I probably would have bet on them if I bet on PSAC games. I was surprised they won as easily as they did. You're a fascinating bunch on this board. Sometimes I think I have more confidence in IUP than its own fan base.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

I'm late to the party, but your post reminded me of some observations from the game.

I think (and this is just my guess) that SRU expected to win this game in a shootout, as if they were saying, "good luck keeping up with us." I'm a believer in body language. I was covering the game from the sidelines, and when Slippery Rock went 3-and-out on their first two drives, it was like they were lost. Their body language was of confusion. And the crowd went quiet, too, as if it was perplexed.

SRU recovered momentarily when they made it 10-7, but when IUP went right back down the field and scored to make it 17-7, it was back to confusion. IUP's quick 10 points to start the third quarter, making it 34-7, just sucked the life out of the place. It's weird how quiet it was at the end.
    "Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the face."

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think a lot of folks didn't know what IUP exactly was this year and which IUP team to expect - the one that beat Kutztown or the one that got its ass handed to itself by Shepherd. Granted they had players out for the latter. Plus, Rock minus Rivers is still a damn good team and it was their Homecoming. The stadium was predictably packed for kickoff. The pick'em is a game of most likely to win, even if its 51%-49%. I would have been surprised by a Rock blowout but I also didn't expect IUP to dominate them in the first half.

Leave a comment:

• RockNation
    replied
    Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

I saw the SRU game notes and thought it was interesting they moved the RT to LT. It seemed to me the RT was the weak spot in the semi and the one that gave up the fumble sack early on to IUP. I flip between games and obviously dont break film down but this seems bad if the other tackles are worse. They might need to use the TE more to help these tackles....something. It shouldnt matter this week but Cal will be different.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Most of the complaining about the IUP team I've seen on these boards has been done by their own fans.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Most of the complaining about the IUP team I've seen on these boards has been done by their own fans.
    Most of everything on this board is by IUP fans.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPFOOTBALLALUM View Post

Read the board, nothing but slander about this iup team, then they went STEAMROLLED BOTTOM FEEDER U. DONT CHANGE UP SHIP MAN!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X