Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I tried to connect with one of the Indiana guys for the BB championship game, but missed the mark. I hope we can set some things up when the PSAC returns to something approaching normal, whenever that might be.
    I've only ever met 1 other poster (Blue Jay from Bloom). Actually, I have probably met some of these other folks but just don't know it.

I want to make sure my point was clear, though. My point was that this is all virtual and works pretty well. I don't know if it would work as well if we were all sitting in a room together.

Comment

• Two Ship student got the virus after traveling on spring break.
      https://fox56.com/news/local/two-shi...eak-03-20-2020

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I've only ever met 1 other poster (Blue Jay from Bloom). Actually, I have probably met some of these other folks but just don't know it.

I want to make sure my point was clear, though. My point was that this is all virtual and works pretty well. I don't know if it would work as well if we were all sitting in a room together.
        Well, it would or it wouldn't. It's wouldn't be then end of the world if it didn't, and at least we'd have given it a try.

Comment

• Bloom "is reducing charges for room, meal plans and various fees like activities and parking by 50 percent. Resulting credit balances will be refunded by April 1."

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/unive...ae957f1c8.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
            Bloom "is reducing charges for room, meal plans and various fees like activities and parking by 50 percent. Resulting credit balances will be refunded by April 1."

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/unive...ae957f1c8.html
            Kutztown posted something similar the other day - https://www.kutztown.edu/about-ku/ad...0-refunds.html

Comment

• SSHE predicted they will reimburse over 100 million dollars to students. Each school will have to fund it's loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And the students renting from the slumlords are just out of luck. If you have campus housing you at least have a shot at a refund (pro-rated) or some credit toward next year (if there is a next year). Of course, those off-campus aren't forced to move out, either.

But, these actual 'college towns' are just taking an economic bashing. Already.
                I guess the townies will appreciate the students being in town in the future.

Comment

• The PASSHE system might never look the same.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/opini...rry/index.html

Comment

• I think they'll be alright. The bailout included billions for higher ed and used a formula that favored schools with Pell students. About half has to be used on financial aid. Edinboro got $4.8 million. That helps with the fee reimbursements and endowment hits.

Anyone saying we should close campuses hasn't done the math. It would be catastrophic to Erie and Crawford counties for Edinboro to close. A local buffoon in the legislature got onto the PASSHE board. He quickly learned and doesn't criticize Edinboro much anymore if at all.

If Cheyney continues to progress, they get their debt forgiven but PASSHE is still on the hook for it all. Guess what happens with the debt if we pull the plug?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                      I think they'll be alright. The bailout included billions for higher ed and used a formula that favored schools with Pell students. About half has to be used on financial aid. Edinboro got $4.8 million. That helps with the fee reimbursements and endowment hits.

Anyone saying we should close campuses hasn't done the math. It would be catastrophic to Erie and Crawford counties for Edinboro to close. A local buffoon in the legislature got onto the PASSHE board. He quickly learned and doesn't criticize Edinboro much anymore if at all.

If Cheyney continues to progress, they get their debt forgiven but PASSHE is still on the hook for it all. Guess what happens with the debt if we pull the plug?
                      I haven't studied those numbers but it sounds like about $60 million system-wide. The system budget is about a half billion.

I don't know how much the schools are losing this semester but it might even be more in Fall 2020. Plus, it's speculation, but I think there's a good chance a lot of the schools take a hit in attendance for 2020-21. I'm thinking this isn't good for them. Of course, who knows? If a lot of out of work people decide to go back to school it could be a boon.

Comment

I haven't studied those numbers but it sounds like about $60 million system-wide. The system budget is about a half billion.

I don't know how much the schools are losing this semester but it might even be more in Fall 2020. Plus, it's speculation, but I think there's a good chance a lot of the schools take a hit in attendance for 2020-21. I'm thinking this isn't good for them. Of course, who knows? If a lot of out of work people decide to go back to school it could be a boon.
                        I've read projections going both ways on enrollment. One, everybody hurts and enrollment everywhere drops. In another article, it's PASSHE's best scenario and students quit paying $5-10k more for Penn State branches and private schools. It will probably be a little of both. I don't think kids stay home without the economy back on track. There have to be options that seem better than college.

Comment

I've read projections going both ways on enrollment. One, everybody hurts and enrollment everywhere drops. In another article, it's PASSHE's best scenario and students quit paying $5-10k more for Penn State branches and private schools. It will probably be a little of both. I don't think kids stay home without the economy back on track. There have to be options that seem better than college.
                          Another key component is the effect on the state subsidy. By any measure that will not be good. Could be devastating.

Comment

I think they'll be alright. The bailout included billions for higher ed and used a formula that favored schools with Pell students. About half has to be used on financial aid. Edinboro got $4.8 million. That helps with the fee reimbursements and endowment hits.

Everything will be different now.

You've got a financially-strapped system in a financially-strapped state. Not only are the schools themselves losing money like never before the state of PA will lose untold levels of revenue.

While the federal government can borrow its way out of this the state is still going to have to balance its budget. The cuts will be very, very deep. PASSHE will certainly take a huge hit.

Comment

Everything will be different now.

You've got a financially-strapped system in a financially-strapped state. Not only are the schools themselves losing money like never before the state of PA will lose untold levels of revenue.

While the federal government can borrow its way out of this the state is still going to have to balance its budget. The cuts will be very, very deep. PASSHE will certainly take a huge hit.
                              Why were they losing money before? Why is it worse now?

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Why were they losing money before? Why is it worse now?
                                Not sure I understand the question.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...14c550ff6.html

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X