Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like Shepherd wants to pick up a few games.

https://www.localdvm.com/sports/shep...ring-football/

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Shepherd is public but a WV state school.

I believe the timing for a vote on a PSAC-sponsored spring football season was ill-timed. The time for a vote probably would have been when cases were surging and before the vaccine rollout was showing signs of progress. Pennsylvania has not been a state on the looser side of pandemic regulation. It seems that D2 football is happening in well, more "red" states. Campus presidents have the voting authority in the PSAC so the coach and AD would have to convince the president that playing football was a good idea. I don't know if you'd have that at this level with presidents consumed with balancing a budget, finding any and all cost savings, and trying to make sense of next year.

I think its still possible that football has restrictions in the fall. I'm thinking limited people on the sidelines, spacing out spectators, etc. Maybe this is the situation that forces some to invest in the streaming experience!
      Hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Hmmmm
        I know, it sounds contradictory.

But he's right. If the fans, parents and alumni can't be in the stands, there's going to be pressure applied to offer streaming. And while I don't know of many places without it by now, they might need to get past some restricted-view, stationary-camera situation. They need to put some work and yes, a few bucks into it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I know, it sounds contradictory.

But he's right. If the fans, parents and alumni can't be in the stands, there's going to be pressure applied to offer streaming. And while I don't know of many places without it by now, they might need to get past some restricted-view, stationary-camera situation. They need to put some work and yes, a few bucks into it.
          It would be shocking to not have at least 40% to 50% occupancy by the Fall for outdoor events in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It would be shocking to not have at least 40% to 50% occupancy by the Fall for outdoor events in PA.
            I think we'll have no better than 50% occupancy and I'm okay with that. Just like with streaming, when you force Johnny Redshirt's parents to sit on the away side, you might get some good feedback regarding the experience from the away side. I know that when taking my kids to see Edinboro at Cal, its really hard to walk the perimeter of the complex so they can go to the bathroom or get a snack.

Comment

Back on topic - for as excited as we would have been for some quasi-official football this spring, this would have been the norm.

https://mountaineast.org/news/2021/3...s-march-8.aspx

Comment

I think we'll have no better than 50% occupancy and I'm okay with that. Just like with streaming, when you force Johnny Redshirt's parents to sit on the away side, you might get some good feedback regarding the experience from the away side. I know that when taking my kids to see Edinboro at Cal, its really hard to walk the perimeter of the complex so they can go to the bathroom or get a snack.
                That is the worst part of Adamson for sure -- aside from feeling like those bleachers are going to fall over that cliff.

I'd be perfectly happy with 50% occupancy. There's the reality factor -- and the 'announced attendance' factor. Allowing 50% would feel like everything is back to normal at most of our schools.

It's funny you mention sitting on the visitor side. I did that at Miller for more than 20 years. Of course, I got used to sitting over there because the student section used to be over there. The home side can get a bit, well, stuffy. I moved over to the home side about 5-6 years ago. Occasionally I will go over as there's rarely anybody on that side unless we are playing Cal or Slippery Rock. Even Cal's last couple trips to Miller they didn't travel well. Sometimes it's nice to just stand on the top row and have nobody near you. A good bit of IUP fans still sit on the visitor side. Old habits, I suppose.

Miller's design flaw is when the home side is packed it is very difficult to move. It drains very slowly.

Comment

That is the worst part of Adamson for sure -- aside from feeling like those bleachers are going to fall over that cliff.

I'd be perfectly happy with 50% occupancy. There's the reality factor -- and the 'announced attendance' factor. Allowing 50% would feel like everything is back to normal at most of our schools.

It's funny you mention sitting on the visitor side. I did that at Miller for more than 20 years. Of course, I got used to sitting over there because the student section used to be over there. The home side can get a bit, well, stuffy. I moved over to the home side about 5-6 years ago. Occasionally I will go over as there's rarely anybody on that side unless we are playing Cal or Slippery Rock. Even Cal's last couple trips to Miller they didn't travel well. Sometimes it's nice to just stand on the top row and have nobody near you. A good bit of IUP fans still sit on the visitor side. Old habits, I suppose.

Miller's design flaw is when the home side is packed it is very difficult to move. It drains very slowly.
                  Agreed. Are those who would be happy with allowing 50% okay with it if they are not in the 50% that are allowed? In the MEC, there's a lot of "2 tickets per home player" and "no visiting fans permitted". If a school says back to normal full capacity, and people are not okay with it, they can stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Agreed. Are those who would be happy with allowing 50% okay with it if they are not in the 50% that are allowed? In the MEC, there's a lot of "2 tickets per home player" and "no visiting fans permitted". If a school says back to normal full capacity, and people are not okay with it, they can stay home.
                    They can pull the supply and demand angle with tickets. Less tickets available. Charge more for them.

The key item will be how they actually define what capacity is. Does it include standing-only tickets? Most of our stadiums have huge spaces where fans stand along fences, etc. Miller Stadium announced capacity is 5,000 -- although I have no idea how that is accurate being it was 5,000 before the new away-side bleachers went in and it's still 5,000 afterward (despite many less bleachers).

Using IUP as an example, if they set the limit at 2,500 that would be fine for probably all but the Homecoming game. The season opener sometimes draws well. But, it is what it is. If you really want to be there get a season ticket package -- or get to the gate real early.

Comment

Similar at Edinboro. There are only two main aisles at Sox Harrison and you have to wrap around the tunnel ramp to exit so you're in the way of the crowd. Home side is an interesting mix. Students tend to sit on the north end of the home side, the band and some students on the right, and the middle full of locals, parents, and faculty/staff. You also look across at a larger away side (built to host big high school playoff games) that is usually empty with the exception of IUP, Slippery Rock, or Gannon for Homecoming. I believe Lake Erie travelled well a few years ago. If IUP brings their band and a decent away crowd shows up, its like a second Homecoming game. Sox Harrison might have the nicest away side bathrooms after Miller's new ones but the concession stand is only open for Homecoming.

One thing around here is that if there is a stadium without a track its one-sided (Duquesne, Robert Morris, West Liberty come to mind). I'd much rather sit a little further away if I have something to look at (Duquesne - buildings, RMU - a shopping center & car dealership across the street, West Liberty - forest). To me its more detracting than the track.

Comment

I'd be surprised if Shepherd and the state of West Virginia is on any restriction come the fall. Might be a nice advantage to not being in PA.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'd be surprised if Shepherd and the state of West Virginia is on any restriction come the fall. Might be a nice advantage to not being in PA.
                          Yeah same here. Depending on what CDC guidelines are - quarantine timelines could get in the way too.

This spring at the lower levels we're really only seeing football being played in red states and nearly red purple states (like WV).

Comment

Slippery Rock announced its Spring Football schedule. It doesn't appear they are playing any games. They have a couple weeks of practice and a Spring Game at the end.

Comment

Comment

They should play at Miller Stadium. That's somewhat half way. Do a three-way practice.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X