Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Her gender is relevant. It's the most important thing in the entire incident. It's literally what this thing is all about.

Comment

So if females are entitled to "special protection" ... really ... so what?

If society is such that "needledick" shouldn't bring a male athlete to tears ... so what?

It is what it is, and it's in no way victimizing this young lady to term her a victim.

Comment

Last edited by IUPNation; 11-07-2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Comment

At a High School playoff game this past Friday fans in Northampton apparently were verbally abusive to the Pleasant Valley fans after the game, yelling at them to get out of "their" stadium. No wonder sportsmanship is a dying tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
              At a High School playoff game this past Friday fans in Northampton apparently were verbally abusive to the Pleasant Valley fans after the game, yelling at them to get out of "their" stadium. No wonder sportsmanship is a dying tradition.
              This is primarily the social media generation. Blame the parents as much as you want, but so much of this stuff goes unchecked because they don't even know it's happening. We can say anything we want now based on the grounds of either anonymity or the protection of being behind a computer screen or mobile device. And when somebody on the other end doesn't agree with us, we personally attack them. It's why the incidence of fights occurring at sporting events are rising at an alarmingly fast rate. Somebody said something you didn't like - well, the immediate solution is to trade blows. Why would anybody even want to go to an NFL game when you see the aftermath on Instagram or Twitter every Monday morning?

Individuals can't talk things out anymore, largely because people don't talk. They text, they tweet, and they post. And they rely on either verbal attacks or throwing fists. It's the only thing these young people nowadays know. I'm young (28). But the difference between what some of this stuff was like when I was in high school and college versus what it is now isn't even comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

This is primarily the social media generation. Blame the parents as much as you want, but so much of this stuff goes unchecked because they don't even know it's happening. We can say anything we want now based on the grounds of either anonymity or the protection of being behind a computer screen or mobile device. And when somebody on the other end doesn't agree with us, we personally attack them. It's why the incidence of fights occurring at sporting events are rising at an alarmingly fast rate. Somebody said something you didn't like - well, the immediate solution is to trade blows. Why would anybody even want to go to an NFL game when you see the aftermath on Instagram or Twitter every Monday morning?

Individuals can't talk things out anymore, largely because people don't talk. They text, they tweet, and they post. And they rely on either verbal attacks or throwing fists. It's the only thing these young people nowadays know. I'm young (28). But the difference between what some of this stuff was like when I was in high school and college versus what it is now isn't even comparable.
                Parents' collective ignorance is no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Parents' collective ignorance is no excuse.
                  I never said it was. Kids today are just a product of the generation they grew up in. Parents can be plugged in, but they aren't going to catch everything, or even be able to stop what they do catch. The way we talk to each other on social media platforms, on message boards, etc., is why so many do what they do in person. Kids grow up thinking they can say what they want without consequence because they did it on social media platforms, or they do it on their headsets while playing Call of Duty on their Playstation or Xbox. So yeah, when you say that "sportsmanship is dying," that's part of the reason. That was all I was trying to say.

This also isn't limited to just kids. The people fighting at NFL games aren't individuals sitting in the student section at a high school football on a Friday night. Alcohol has always been a thing at NFL games. The alarming number of fights and arrests in and around the stadium hasn't been. You can draw your own conclusions with that.

Comment

I never said it was. Kids today are just a product of the generation they grew up in. Parents can be plugged in, but they aren't going to catch everything, or even be able to stop what they do catch. The way we talk to each other on social media platforms, on message boards, etc., is why so many do what they do in person. Kids grow up thinking they can say what they want without consequence because they did it on social media platforms, or they do it on their headsets while playing Call of Duty on their Playstation or Xbox. So yeah, when you say that "sportsmanship is dying," that's part of the reason. That was all I was trying to say.

This also isn't limited to just kids. The people fighting at NFL games aren't individuals sitting in the student section at a high school football on a Friday night. Alcohol has always been a thing at NFL games. The alarming number of fights and arrests in and around the stadium hasn't been. You can draw your own conclusions with that.

I wouldn't agree with that ... in the 70s-90s they just weren't recorded by 500 people and put on Twitter within seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I wouldn't agree with that ... in the 70s-90s they just weren't recorded by 500 people and put on Twitter within seconds.
                      Maybe. Maybe not. Granted, I'm younger than the vast majority of posters on this message board. But that said, I've gone to sporting events my entire life. I've never seen behavior in the crowd like what you see now. Maybe I'm just getting older and less tolerable to that type of stuff. That could be true too.

I don't know. When I was in high school, going to high school sporting events was all the rage. All of that "student section" stuff was what you lived for. It was only ever about cheering on our friends and classmates though. Never reduced to verbal attacks on players or threatening parents/fans of the visiting team. That's all you see anymore at high school and college venues. All you see at pro sports are fights. You're right, we ultimately see more of the altercations because of social media, for certain. But I'm not overly convinced that the behavior so many attendees exude that leads to those incidents isn't because of it either.

You have an entire generation of young adults and teenagers who are afraid to have a phone conversation, can't work out disagreements in a cordial face to face manner, and grew up saying whatever they wanted because they were hidden behind an account name or computer. When things don't go their way, they complain and argue. If somebody says or does something they don't like, or are somebody they don't like (such as a visiting fan), they're viewed as the enemy - and they must be stopped. This is not related to the initial topic, maybe it kind of is. But when WarriorVoice said that people don't have sportsmanship anymore, that's partially why.

We're in the "bat flip" era. The fortnite celebration era. Kids grow up watching things on Instagram about players showing up their opponents on the field. Athletes "showing emotion" is code for "let them celebrate and do whatever they want on the field." People want zero consequences for anything. All of the big media moguls on social media platforms and podcasts push that entire idea. If somebody "pimps" a home run and acts like a fool rounding the bases, the podcasters and IG influencers tell you they shouldn't be hit by a pitch as a response. Kids hear that and run with it. If you disagree, you're a dinosaur or an "old head." They complain to the NFL when a players gets flagged for excessive celebration. All social media is doing is pushing those attitudes. That you should be able to do what you want with no consequence. It's a long stretch to the original post, but that's a huge part of why young people do what they do anymore.

Comment

Maybe. Maybe not. Granted, I'm younger than the vast majority of posters on this message board. But that said, I've gone to sporting events my entire life. I've never seen behavior in the crowd like what you see now. Maybe I'm just getting older and less tolerable to that type of stuff. That could be true too.

I don't know. When I was in high school, going to high school sporting events was all the rage. All of that "student section" stuff was what you lived for. It was only ever about cheering on our friends and classmates though. Never reduced to verbal attacks on players or threatening parents/fans of the visiting team. That's all you see anymore at high school and college venues. All you see at pro sports are fights. You're right, we ultimately see more of the altercations because of social media, for certain. But I'm not overly convinced that the behavior so many attendees exude that leads to those incidents isn't because of it either.

You have an entire generation of young adults and teenagers who are afraid to have a phone conversation, can't work out disagreements in a cordial face to face manner, and grew up saying whatever they wanted because they were hidden behind an account name or computer. When things don't go their way, they complain and argue. If somebody says or does something they don't like, or are somebody they don't like (such as a visiting fan), they're viewed as the enemy - and they must be stopped. This is not related to the initial topic, maybe it kind of is. But when WarriorVoice said that people don't have sportsmanship anymore, that's partially why.

We're in the "bat flip" era. The fortnite celebration era. Kids grow up watching things on Instagram about players showing up their opponents on the field. Athletes "showing emotion" is code for "let them celebrate and do whatever they want on the field." People want zero consequences for anything. All of the big media moguls on social media platforms and podcasts push that entire idea. If somebody "pimps" a home run and acts like a fool rounding the bases, the podcasters and IG influencers tell you they shouldn't be hit by a pitch as a response. Kids hear that and run with it. If you disagree, you're a dinosaur or an "old head." They complain to the NFL when a players gets flagged for excessive celebration. All social media is doing is pushing those attitudes. That you should be able to do what you want with no consequence. It's a long stretch to the original post, but that's a huge part of why young people do what they do anymore.

It seems pretty focused on football, too (the craziness in the stands). You don't see too much of it at MLB, NHL or the NBA. Of course, tailgating happens far less at those sports. Lack of tailgating and less fights in the stands certainly go hand in hand.

Comment

Getting back to the goalie, it's certainly a mob mentality. All of the individuals participating are anonymous because everybody is chanting the same thing. If you were to ask each person in that crowd individually to shout out something to the goalie I'm pretty sure nobody would be vulgar.

In a group or mob, you become less responsible for your actions. Somebody has to intervene to stop it.

Comment

It seems pretty focused on football, too (the craziness in the stands). You don't see too much of it at MLB, NHL or the NBA. Of course, tailgating happens far less at those sports. Lack of tailgating and less fights in the stands certainly go hand in hand.
                            The craziness in the stands as it relates to fights? Sure. NFL fans have always been a rare breed. And we're in a different era now too where you see all of the stuff, as you pointed out.

But the young people's behavior at events is across the board. The verbal attacks and the say/do what you want without consequence... that's all the byproduct of social media. There was a girl in Ohio a couple years ago that got harassed by a student section in a big girls high school basketball game in Columbus. She posted on her Facebook or Twitter two nights before: "I just want a date for prom." Somehow the school they were playing picked up on that and found it. Every time the girl touched the ball, the student section chanted "prom date." The only reason that even happened was because of social media.

Comment

The craziness in the stands as it relates to fights? Sure. NFL fans have always been a rare breed. And we're in a different era now too where you see all of the stuff, as you pointed out.

But the young people's behavior at events is across the board. The verbal attacks and the say/do what you want without consequence... that's all the byproduct of social media. There was a girl in Ohio a couple years ago that got harassed by a student section in a big girls high school basketball game in Columbus. She posted on her Facebook or Twitter two nights before: "I just want a date for prom." Somehow the school they were playing picked up on that and found it. Every time the girl touched the ball, the student section chanted "prom date." The only reason that even happened was because of social media.

That (prom date) is actually funny. No issues with that one.

Comment

That (prom date) is actually funny. No issues with that one.
                                Agreed lol, that's fair game!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X